• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout's dWAR according to Baseball Reference is...

RallyMo

There is no stat that says Mike Trout is one of the worst defenders in baseball. Any stat or anyone saying that... or that he is anywhere close to Cabrera, defensively, needs to be ignored.  

Stolen bases are sometimes a function of opportunity.  There are reasons his stolen bases are down and none of them have anything to do with him being a worse base runner than he was a year ago.  Plus, that is only a part of base running.  

There is no stat that says Mike Trout is one of the worst defenders in baseball. Any stat or anyone saying he is anywhere close to Cabrera, defensively, needs to be ignored.  

The title of this thread is "Trout's dWAR is... [-1.5]"

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2013-value-batting.shtml#players_value_batting::15

Trout is ranked 7th worst in baseball in defensive WAR. Worse than Cabrera. In fact, Trout actually slighlty leads Cabrera in offensive WAR. 

I do think this is at least partially a funciton of opportunities though. Compared to last year, Angels pitching is much worse. We have a lot more balls sailing out of the park and fewer playable flyballs for Trout and others to work with. 

Defensive stats are greatly flawed and always will be much more flawed than offensive stats.  That is blatantly illustrated by the fact Trout's defensive numbers were so good last year and not so good this year... especially when it comes to one website. I don't see how anyone that watches any games Mike Trout plays can think he is a bad defensive player.  Maybe he got too much hype because of robbed home runs last year.  Maybe he hasn't been as good this year.  He is not bad, though... and Miguel Cabrera is bad.  

He hasn't been all that good?

Seems vague...  different than saying he's been bad... and worse than Cabrera.

And is still highly subjective.  

The better comparison, IMO, is between Mike Trout and JB Shuck.

According to baseball reference WAR, Mike Trout's defense is a full win WORSE than JB Shuck. There were at least three games in which JB Shuck allowed multiple batted balls to land for doubles or triples which would have been caught by Mike Trout or Peter Bourjos. I actually believe the Angels would be a few wins *higher* in the standings had Peter Bourjos been healthy all season, and Trout been in LF instead of Shuck for those games.

I think Bourjos is better than Trout defensively.  I want Bourjos in CF when he comes back.  But, Shuck?   Not buying it.  Not buying defensive stats that say that is the case.  If you don't think defensive stats are highly subjective and have high volailitly (even those that create them say it takes three years worth of numbers to be accurate... which is nuts), I don't know what to say.  

Bourjos may be better than anyone defensively.  I'd say SS defense is more valuable in general, so a few SS are likely more valuable, but saying Bourjos is better or more valuable defensively is no knock on Mike Trout.  Bourjos is a great defender.  

Fangraphs updates their defensive stats on Monday morning; his Fielding Runs are now at -0.5. His fWAR is 6.9, ahead of Cabrera's 6.4.

The interesting thing will be to see if he can maintain his pace and get to 10 fWAR again. Two seasons at age 20-21 at 10 fWAR is ridiculous. 7 fWAR is great enough, but 10? Dude, I've got a Trouner and it just won't quit.

I think Trout being moved around LF/CF and being told that the was going to be playing in LF before the season started had a lot to do with all the misplays he's had this year. Plus his slight weight gain has resulted in some loss of agility that he had last year which makes his leaps/dives be off by a couple of yards, in turn causing his play to regress. 

Good news is he's a better offensive player this year.

Bourjos may be better than anyone defensively.  I'd say SS defense is more valuable in general, so a few SS are likely more valuable, but saying Bourjos is better or more valuable defensively is no knock on Mike Trout.  Bourjos is a great defender.

I hope other teams value him as much as we do because the Halos need pitching desperately.

I hope not.  That could make the nicest guys bitter.  The Angels would be incredibly stupid not to do better than that this year.  How much have they spent on scrubs like Chris Nelson, Dontrelle Willis, and Andy Marte?  If they give him a 30k renewal raise, I will complain about it. 

Offer him 10 years 170 million.

If he turns it down...then give him 500 K.  We owe him nothing if he turns down an fair extension offer!

Since Albert went out he's got 15bb a hbp and 4ks. With a .634 obp in 9 games.

Someone mentioned he was getting the Bonds treatment, and it's not even an exaggeration.  

2004 Barry Bonds:  .362/.609/.812

Trout sans Pujols:  .400/.634/.640

I guess without steroids he's slacking on the SLG a bit.