• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout's dWAR according to Baseball Reference is...

RallyMo

Last year Trout was by far the leader in baseball reference dWAR. From what I understand a huge fraction -- possibly even most -- of that total was due to the fact that stat gives excessive amounts of credit to home run robberies.

Last year he had 4 home run robberies. This year he actaully assisted two balls in going over the wall which would have otherwise remained in the park. 

I don't trust defensive statistics in any sample size. Over the course of entire careers there are too many examples where the two main defensive stats (UZR and DRS) rate the same player wildly different. For me that tells me that at least one stat is probably wrong. And it's more probable that they both are.

So you guys are admitting now Trout's dWAR was inflated last season and Cabrerra was the true MVP.

Thanks, that finally puts to rest that argument.

Trout was ahead of Miguel Cabrera in both Win Probability Added and Offensive WAR 

Exactly.  Last year, it was a no brainer.  Mike Trout was better than Miguel Cabrera offensively.  Even blind people can figure out that Trout is more valuable defensively.  Trout was better... and more valuable.   The result of the MVP voting was absurd... as it has been many times before.  

This year, it is close.  Debatable.   Trout has no chance of winning, though... unless Cabrera misses more than half of the remaining games.... and Trout keeps his recent pace.... etc. Crazy things will have to happen.... because MVP voters are ignorant relics.  Ignorant, anyway.

Sad part is it won't keep Trout's price down at all.

We will still get to watch him play for our favorite team for years to come, though.

Exactly.  Last year, it was a no brainer.  Mike Trout was better than Miguel Cabrera offensively.  Even blind people can figure out that Trout is more valuable defensively.  Trout was better... and more valuable.   The result of the MVP voting was absurd... as it has been many times before.  

This year, it is close.  Debatable.   Trout has no chance of winning, though... unless Cabrera misses more than half of the remaining games.... and Trout keeps his recent pace.... etc. Crazy things will have to happen.... because MVP voters are ignorant relics.  Ignorant, anyway.

Sad part is it won't keep Trout's price down at all.

We will still get to watch him play for our favorite team for years to come, though.

Trout should have won MVP last year. Had Josh kept using tobacco a bit longer and hit a few more homers Trout might have actaully won. This year if the season were to end to day it should go to Cabrera, IMO. 

Cabrera is actually having a better season than last year. He'll probably win by a smaller margin though because of a cerrtain roided out first baseman from Baltimore spoiling a triple crown.

Miguel Cabrera is having an amazing season at the plate. Considerably better than last year... and his best year... which is ridiculous.  He is the best hitter in baseball.  His last four seasons have to rank highly in the history of baseball.  

I think most people still undervalue defense and base running, though.  Mike Trout's base running alone, closes that gap greatly.  His defense eradicates it, no matter what subjective measure you use.  Mike Trout is the most valuable player in baseball. 

He'll get a raise of thirty thousand dollars

I hope not.  That could make the nicest guys bitter.  The Angels would be incredibly stupid not to do better than that this year.  How much have they spent on scrubs like Chris Nelson, Dontrelle Willis, and Andy Marte?  If they give him a 30k renewal raise, I will complain about it. 

Miguel Cabrera is having an amazing season at the plate. Considerably better than last year... and his best year... which is ridiculous.  He is the best hitter in baseball.  His last four seasons have to rank highly in the history of baseball.  

I think most people still undervalue defense and base running, though.  Mike Trout's base running alone, closes that gap greatly.  His defense eradicates it, no matter what subjective measure you use.  Mike Trout is the most valuable player in baseball. 

Last year Trout's baserunning and defense was considerably better than this year. While I don't agree at all with the baseball reference stat suggesting Trout is one of the worst defenders in baseball, he has had a lot of key misplays and his overall range has not been nearly as good as last season. His number of stolen bases and extra bases taken is also down (IMO this is largely the fault of morons like Pujols and Scioscia but I digress...)

Combine that with the fact that as you pointed out Cabrera is having a better season (though likely won't get a triple crown) and IMO Cabrera should win MVP with Trout second. Last year Trout should have been the clear MVP.