• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

GDT: 8/4/13 Angels vs Blue Jays - White flag edition

nate

I didn't see the game so maybe I'm overlooking something ... or I'm just an idiot, or both. 

How did De La Rosa get a blown save (and Frieri the loss) when he pitched after Frieri?  How does the blown save come after the loss, and to a different pitcher?

If the runner who scores the lead run belongs to the pitcher who is being replaced, that scenario can happen. The new pitcher was in position to save the game, but the pitcher who was replaced was responsible for the runner who scored the eventual game winning run.

Which I have never understood. Baseball is the only sport that penalizes a player for something that happens after he is taken out of a game.

If the runner who scores the lead run belongs to the pitcher who is being replaced, that scenario can happen. The new pitcher was in position to save the game, but the pitcher who was replaced was responsible for the runner who scored the eventual game winning run.

Which I have never understood. Baseball is the only sport that penalizes a player for something that happens after he is taken out of a game.

Yep. Pitchers like Weaver and Wilson get unfairly penalized in their personal stats for playing on a team with a blowpen, IMO.

What has me confused is the fielder's choice.  Frieri's lead runner Lawrie was out.  The guy who scored the winning run was put on by De La Rosa with a fielder's choice.  So I guess Frieri still owns two runners even if they are "replaced" by means of a fielder's choice?

Top 9th: Toronto

- B. Lawrie singled to left

- J.P. Arencibia hit by pitch, B. Lawrie to second

- J. Reyes flied out to right

- D. De La Rosa relieved E. Frieri

- R. Davis grounded into fielder's choice, B. Lawrie out at third, J.P. Arencibia to second

- J. Bautista singled to shallow left, J.P. Arencibia scored, R. Davis to second

- R. Davis stole third

- E. Encarnacion singled to left, R. Davis scored, J. Bautista to second

- D. Stange relieved D. De La Rosa

- E. Bonifacio popped out to shallow center

So Frieri's said this post game...

''It's always frustrating whenever you go out there and they give you the chance to compete, to help the team to win and you don't do your job,'' said Frieri, who blew back-to-back save opportunities during the previous series at Texas. ''In the bullpen we need to keep working, keep fighting and we need to get better.''

Should he start using the word "I" instead of "we"? Ridiculous.