• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout/Herschel Walker

If trading Mike Trout could bring you three upgrades in the lineup and a starter, would you do it?

The Dallas Cowboys traded their one marquee player and it won them three Super Bowls, basically.

Trade partner: A team like the Mets, desperate for a superstar to escape the Yankees' shadow, or the Phillies or even Orioles?

I love Trout. He's only played a year and a half and he's already my all-time favorite Angel. But would you rather be the Twins that won two World Series in the late 80s/early 90s, or the Joe Mauer Twins, selling lots of merchandise of that one player but not winning anything?

Just starting the conversation, since this season isn't going anywhere. If we could improve ourselves at third, short and first (leaving Pujols at DH) and get a number two starter, we could move Calhoun into Trout's spot in left.

Trout makes this team worth watching even when everyone else sucks. He's the type of guy you want to make your franchise player.

I understand the line of thinking here; Trout would bring in an absolutely ridiculous package of prospects/young talent. I just don't want to watch him playing on another team.

"He's the foundation of your lineup and you want to build around him," Scioscia said of Pujols.

Yep it's time for Trout to ask for a sign and trade deal to an east coast team that's ready to build around him. I would hate to see him leave but a deal similar to what the Cowboys did would be good for Trout and the Angels. Win-win situation. 

But don't Pujols and Hamilton make that impossible?

I don't think so. Definitely doesn't help, but Trout is only 21 years old here. It's not like he's 27-28 and they are wasting his prime years on mediocre teams. They have time. They need to be smart about things from here on though. Can't overpay for aging FA's, need to look more at smaller signings(more bang for their buck) and obviously continue to replenish/rebuild this farm system

From a business perspective I always have my options open and listen to everything. Who's to say someone doesn't go nuts and gives you 5-7 players of studs and top prospects?

However, your comparison is thwarted the minute you consider contracts. Long term club control is something that makes baseball unique.

I don't think so. Definitely doesn't help, but Trout is only 21 years old here. It's not like he's 27-28 and they are wasting his prime years on mediocre teams. They have time. They need to be smart about things from here on though. Can't overpay for aging FA's, need to look more at smaller signings(more bang for their buck) and obviously continue to replenish/rebuild this farm system

Why would Trout want to go through all that punishment. The Angels are a high payroll upper echelon organization that has no business being in the dismal position they're in. The Weaver and Wilson years will also be wasted for the next 3-5 years. 

I think you keep him. But watching an NFL network special about that trade made me wonder. Pujols' contract is going to make it very difficult to improve the team AND keep Trout. Jimmy Johnson was crucified for trading away Walker when the deal was first made. Then all of those picks started making the Cowboys a much better team.

I think you keep him. But watching an NFL network special about that trade made me wonder. Pujols' contract is going to make it very difficult to improve the team AND keep Trout. Jimmy Johnson was crucified for trading away Walker when the deal was first made. Then all of those picks started making the Cowboys a much better team.

why is Pujols contract going to make it hard to improve the team and keep Trout? 

A) Do not trade Trout.

2) There aren't a lot of teams who would have enough good young players/prospects to even allow this to be close to making sense.

III) Those that do would not trade enough of those players for it to make sense. For instance, why would the the Mets, Astros, Marlins, etc, mortgage their collective futures by trading all of their young players for Mike Trout?

D) Do not trade Trout.

I can think of two or three teams who would give him that contract.

I think the Angels would do it in a few years if Trout maintains this production.  They would probably backload it to avoid most of Albert's heinous contract, but I think that figure is fair.