• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels sign Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez?

LOL at thinking Garza is going to get anything less than 80M++

Yeah... no way Garza gets three years.  The guy's averaged a 3.70 ERA and a 1.2 WHIP the past six seasons and is fairly young at 29.  He's basically a poor-man's Greinke, and is only a year older than him.

5 years - $80M-$90M at least.

I totally get the frustration I really do, but would you rather give this guy, a complete unknown, $50 million over 5 years or Garza $30 million over three?

No doubt I'd go for Garza, although it will likely be closer to 3 years/$60 million if he somehow was fine with just 3 years (considering Greinke's salary and there not being many FA pitchers).

The real question probably becomes:  Gonzalez for $50 million or Garza for $100 million, both over 5 seasons?

Latest On Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

By Steve Adams [July 22 at 7:08pm CST]

Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez has been drawing attention from scouts for months now, and the 26-year-old is getting closer to signing. MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez reports that Gonzalez's selection is down to just five teams, and he could sign a deal within the next couple of days. According to Sanchez, the price for Gonzalez has gone up, and the number of interested teams has gone down (Twitter links).

Last Thursday, Gonzalez's agent, Jaime Torres, told reporters that he hoped to have a deal in place sometime this week. At that time, the Dodgers, Cubs, Rangers, Red Sox, Phillies, Blue Jays, Braves, Twins, Yankees and Marlins had all shown interest in Gonzalez, though the Twins and Marlins were thought to be long-shots due to Gonzalez's price tag.

Earlier today, Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com tweeted that the Orioles scouted Gonzalez heavily but aren't expected to outbid the other interested parties. Similarly, Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times tweeted that the Angels have scouted Gonzalez but aren't heavily involved in bidding for his services. According to weekend reports, the Dodgers are prepared to offer Gonzalez as much as $50MM over five years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/latest-on-miguel-alfredo-gonzalez.html#disqus_thread

I'll give Dipoto another shot before claiming he'll do something as unintelligent as trading for Hanson and signing Blanton.  Look at this way, the first year he took a chance on the bullpen, it didn't work out, but his second year the bullpen has been comparatively outstanding.  His second year as GM, he took a chance on the rotation, it didn't work out, we'll see what he does year three.  You gotta figure 3/5 of the rotation is already comprised of Weaver, Wilson and Richards.  What he does with the other two spots will ultimately dictate his success as a GM in the short term.  

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez is definitely one of those options.  You might see him try something short term (1-2 years) like Hiroki Kuroda, Roy Halladay or A.J. Burnett, you could see him go for a mid-range (3 years) arm like Phil Hughes, Josh Johnson, Jason Vargas, or Tim Lincecum.  We might see him pursue long-term solutions (4+ years) like Matt Garza.  Or it's possible he goes to the Asian market for Suk-min Yoon who will only be 27 and I've heard fantastic things about.  He might even go the trade route (Yovanny Gallardo or Jeremy Hellickson?). 

Lots of options.  Let's see what he can do. 

I'll give Dipoto another shot before claiming he'll do something as unintelligent as trading for Hanson and signing Blanton.  Look at this way, the first year he took a chance on the bullpen, it didn't work out, but his second year the bullpen has been comparatively outstanding.  His second year as GM, he took a chance on the rotation, it didn't work out, we'll see what he does year three.  You gotta figure 3/5 of the rotation is already comprised of Weaver, Wilson and Richards.  What he does with the other two spots will ultimately dictate his success as a GM in the short term.  

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez is definitely one of those options.  You might see him try something short term (1-2 years) like Hiroki Kuroda, Roy Halladay or A.J. Burnett, you could see him go for a mid-range (3 years) arm like Phil Hughes, Josh Johnson, Jason Vargas, or Tim Lincecum.  We might see him pursue long-term solutions (4+ years) like Matt Garza.  Or it's possible he goes to the Asian market for Suk-min Yoon who will only be 27 and I've heard fantastic things about.  He might even go the trade route (Yovanny Gallardo or Jeremy Hellickson?). 

Lots of options.  Let's see what he can do. 

He has two rotation pieces: Weaver and Wilson.  Richards is far from a rotation certainty.

And with Gonzalez there is no telling when he will be ready.  But it's not gonna matter for us anyway if the Angels have decided he's not worth it which is what we keep hearing.

It's gonna be tough going for him to fill out that rotation on a budget.  The pitching market is going to continue to be insane, which is why risking $50 million on a cuban pitcher doesn't sound all that crazy to me.  But whatever, I'm sure he has a great plan in the making.

Why was Sean Burnett a horrible acquisition?  

Because...because...because...he's a China doll who was waiting to become an Angel to break down. We should have seen that a guy who averaged 69 appearances for 5 consecutive years was going to be injured.

Because...because...because...he's a China doll who was waiting to become an Angel to break down. We should have seen that a guy who averaged 69 appearances for 5 consecutive years was going to be injured.

Exactly...I can see Madson as questionable but Burnett was a solid call.

It is funny how far people will stretch in the name of... bitching.  I read a similar comment about Burnett a few weeks ago.  Two is over the top.   

The Angels made some questionable moves, but they've had more than their fair share of bad luck lately.  Someone posted a roster the other day that they could've had.  It'd be great, no question.  And cost Arte Moreno a lot less.   Nobody thought Corbin and Segura would be All Stars this year, though.  Or that Pujols and Hamilton would decline so much, so quickly.  Pujols had a great second half last year.   I could go on.

I have no clue if they should sign this guy... nobody else here does either... but a lot of these signings have seemed to pan out lately.   

Pessimistic view from Ben Badler

"Scouts generally agree that Gonzalez is a major leaguer, but projections vary significantly. Scouts highest on Gonzalez see his upside as a No. 3 starter who could pitch in the big leagues immediately, or at least soon after getting acclimated with some Triple-A time.

Others see a back-end starter, a middle relief option or a long reliever as more realistic projections given their concerns about how his stuff will play the second time through the order and as major league teams become more familiar with him. The lack of success from Nationals righthander Yunesky Maya, who had a strong record in Cuba with more pitchability but less velocity than Gonzalez, is a concern for some organizations."