• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman verdict

because Zimmerman was not a stranger in Trayvon's neighborhood. And let's just assume that Trayvon did feel a little bit of a threat being followed, so then he is justified for verbally and physically confronting him?

I would say that if someone is creeping up/following me that I'm justified to defend myself via verbal confrontation.

Confronting a stranger who is following you but not otherwise threatening you is not a defensive measure. I'd say more often than not it is extremely foolish to engage in confrontation like that particularly when you know nothing about the person following you, whether or not he is armed, and there is no indication of impending danger. But we don't have any substantiation for such a scenario in this case so what's the point in arguing the hypotheticals?

Is the second question a serious question? If someone is following me and I go verbally ballistic on them hopefully they'll get scared, stand down and back off. That's the point of verbally defending oneself.

yes it's serious. Being followed in and of itself is not a threat. Creating a verbal or physical confrontation is not a defensive measure, it's assault. And you have no idea how that assault is going to be met. That's not prudent or wise behavior, that's dumbass thug behavior.

Like I said, I think both did unwise things. 

The tragedy is that many people do stupid things and it doesn't cost them their life.  It did for Trayvon and that is very sad.

I also think Zimmerman made many stupid decisions, it will cost him I still believe.

Sure it's a foolish act, but it happens and we'll disagree that it's a justifiable defensive measure.

And I thought arguing in hypothetical situations was what AW was all about.

the fact that it happens does not justify it, nor does it make it a defensive measure. There is nothing illegal about following or watching a stranger in your neighborhood. There is no threat or implied threat of harm by being followed. There is nothing to defend yourself from. Verbal confrontation does nothing but escalate the situation.

Like I said, I think both did unwise things. 

The tragedy is that many people do stupid things and it doesn't cost them their life.  It did for Trayvon and that is very sad.

I also think Zimmerman made many stupid decisions, it will cost him I still believe.

so what are the many stupid decisions that Zimmerman made.

with your perspective I guess you're right. And I would say following someone with a gun or baseball bat is an act of thuggery.

no it isn't. There was no intent to harm anyone with either of those weapons other than as a defensive measure. With the bat, I carried it with me only in case I needed to protect myself, I wasn't hunting the guy down to confront and assault him with the bat. Taking defensive precautions is not thuggery, but lol at your attempt to define it as such.

Is the second question a serious question? If someone is following me and I go verbally ballistic on them hopefully they'll get scared, stand down and back off. That's the point of verbally defending oneself.

• 3 years later...