• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels star Mike Trout needs surgery for torn meniscus

ANAHEIM — Angels star Mike Trout will have surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee, sidelining the three-time American League MVP indefinitely.

The Angels believe Trout will be able to return this season, General Manager Perry Minasian said while announcing the injury Tuesday.

Trout is batting .220 with a major league-leading 10 home runs, 14 RBIs and six stolen bases this year, but he will be sidelined by a major injury for the fourth consecutive season.

“It’s just frustrating, but we’ll get through it.

Trout had an MRI after playing in the Angels’ 6-5 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday night. The outfielder fought back tears while describing the pain that gradually crept up on him after the game, in which he even stole a base.

“It’s crazy, because I look back and I don’t even know when I did it,” Trout said. “It’s just frustrating, but we’ll get through it.”

Trout’s latest injury is another major blow to the Angels, who are off to an 11-18 start in their first season since Shohei Ohtani’s free-agent departure. They also have lost $245 million third baseman Anthony Rendon indefinitely to a torn hamstring.

The 32-year-old Trout won his three MVP awards during a dominant decade of play in the 2010s, but the formerly durable outfielder has been bedeviled by injuries since 2021.

He missed all but 36 games of the 2021 season with a strained calf, and he missed several weeks of the 2022 season with a back injury. Trout then broke a bone in his hand last season, missing all but one game after July 3.

More to come on this story.

View the full article

May 1: "Trout expected to be out 5-8 weeks, but confident he can return on the short side of that."

June 5: "Trout's recovering taking a bit longer than expected, but still hopes to be back before All-Star Break, eight weeks after his injury."

July 1: "Trout has set-back, but hopes to return in July."

July 31: "Trout plays first game back, goes 0-4, says 'something doesn't feel right' so the Angels plan to play it cautiously."

August 7: "After sitting on the bench for the last week with slow recovery, the Angels place Trout on the 10-day IL, retroactive to August 1."

August 10: "Trout needs a bit more time, but feels good and is running fine."

August 20: "Trout re-tweaks his knee, will be out a bit longer."

September 1: "Given the last place standing of the Angels, they decide to play it safe with Trout, and put him on the 60-day IL for the rest of the year. A teary-eyed Trout is hopeful and determined to come back in 2025 strong."

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

May 1: "Trout expected to be out 5-8 weeks, but confident he can return on the short side of that."

June 5: "Trout's recovering taking a bit longer than expected, but still hopes to be back before All-Star Break, eight weeks after his injury."

July 1: "Trout has set-back, but hopes to return in July."

July 31: "Trout plays first game back, goes 0-4, says 'something doesn't feel right' so the Angels plan to play it cautiously."

August 7: "After sitting on the bench for the last week with slow recovery, the Angels place Trout on the 10-day IL, retroactive to August 1."

August 10: "Trout needs a bit more time, but feels good and is running fine."

August 20: "Trout re-tweaks his knee, will be out a bit longer."

September 1: "Given the last place standing of the Angels, they decide to play it safe with Trout, and put him on the 60-day IL for the rest of the year. A teary-eyed Trout is hopeful and determined to come back in 2025 strong."

Sounds About Right I Get It GIF by Adult Swim

The Angels need to have a plan to compete that doesn’t rely on “if Trout stays healthy and plays like Mike Trout.”

Sure we would like to see him healthy and playing well, but it can’t be central to the plan.

I buy lottery tickets sometimes for the possible longshot of the windfall upside, but buying lottery tickets isn’t my plan to be financially secure.

The team needs to be committed to building a roster that that could win 100 games with no games played by Trout.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Sure, but that's easier said than done, especially when you have $75M committed to two guys who aren't on the field and you have a weak farm system.  

I totally understand the point.  But everything is easier said than done.

This team made this bed.  They need to deal with it head on and stop using the results of their own previously chosen strategy as an excuse for not being functional going forward.

Edited by Dtwncbad

4 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I totally understand the point.  But everything is easier said than done.

This team made this bed.  They need to deal with it head on and stop using the results of their own previously chosen strategy as an excuse for not being functional going forward.

That's fine, but it's simply not realistic given the current owner. How would you suggest that Minasian and team accomplish what you're saying they should do, given what we know/suspect about the ownership? 

What's the timetable on Rendon. Still indefinite? 

I was thinking that it would be a bit surreal having Rendon back without Trout. He would become the defacto veteran star (based on salary and past reputation). with a chance to show leadership by example.  

A unique opportunity to try and take on more responsibility without Trout as a security blanket in the lineup. 

But now waking up from my fantasy, I realize how unlikely that is. 

3 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

What's the timetable on Rendon. Still indefinite? 

I was thinking that it would be a bit surreal having Rendon back without Trout. He would become the defacto veteran star (based on salary and past reputation). with a chance to show leadership by example.  

A unique opportunity to try and take on more responsibility without Trout as a security blanket in the lineup. 

But now waking up from my fantasy, I realize how unlikely that is. 

No timetable for Rendon. Depending on how serious the tear is, he could be out three months or so. Best-case scenario is probably a couple months. 

2 hours ago, Rollinghard said:

Straight to the knife. Surprised these guys don't try more regenerative medicine. Stem cells, etc. 

PureVelvet_PremiumDeerAntlerVelvetwithfi

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

That's fine, but it's simply not realistic given the current owner. How would you suggest that Minasian and team accomplish what you're saying they should do, given what we know/suspect about the ownership? 

We all know the problem.  I think it’s more than fine to talk about the problem honestly, and talk about what should happen without knowing how or when anything will actually be different.

We have no control over “how.”  All we have is observation and opinion.

29 minutes ago, Tank said:

last year my family and i had tickets for july 4. trout got injured july 3.

this year, my family and i had tickets for april 30. trout got injured april 29.

i think i'll take a break from going to games for a while.

Don't worry buddy. No one here would ever blame you.

@Chuck can we please ban @Tank?

On 5/1/2024 at 9:18 AM, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels need to have a plan to compete that doesn’t rely on “if Trout stays healthy and plays like Mike Trout.”

Sure we would like to see him healthy and playing well, but it can’t be central to the plan.

I buy lottery tickets sometimes for the possible longshot of the windfall upside, but buying lottery tickets isn’t my plan to be financially secure.

The team needs to be committed to building a roster that that could win 100 games with no games played by Trout.

The only way they build a team that could win 100 games without Trout is if we see every young guy reach their potential.  That means Neto, O’Hoppe are both studs.  Adell is a monster of a DH.  Moniak builds off of last year, which he hasn’t been doing so far.  Schanuel needs to be Mark Grace. Caden Dana needs to be a beast so he can team up with Detmers to be a dominant 1-2.  Soriano needs to stay healthy and prove he is a solid #2-3 starter. Joyce needs to be Percival.  Rada will have to be the table setter that gets on base a ton, steals a bunch of bases and plays CF. Fontenelle needs to be a starting 3rd baseman at the major league level. Take all of that, while getting a great return on Tyler Anderson and Ward at the deadline.  We get a role player or two for Estevez and Moore.  Maybe we trade Rengifo and get the next Rengifo, but with less up and down part of his game.  Then finally, we have to hit on most of those draft picks they didn’t part with and they have to be the next wave of guys to either start or fill holes on a roster that needs plenty of floor lifting. We need that draft to be as good as the 2009, even minus the Trout part of the draft.  That draft saw Trout, Grichuk, Skaggs, Richards, Patrick Corbin. Then you add Trout and whatever he gives you his last few years.  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The only way they build a team that could win 100 games without Trout is if we see every young guy reach their potential.  That means Neto, O’Hoppe are both studs.  Adell is a monster of a DH.  Moniak builds off of last year, which he hasn’t been doing so far.  Schanuel needs to be Mark Grace. Caden Dana needs to be a beast so he can team up with Detmers to be a dominant 1-2.  Soriano needs to stay healthy and prove he is a solid #2-3 starter. Joyce needs to be Percival.  Rada will have to be the table setter that gets on base a ton, steals a bunch of bases and plays CF. Fontenelle needs to be a starting 3rd baseman at the major league level. Take all of that, while getting a great return on Tyler Anderson and Ward at the deadline.  We get a role player or two for Estevez and Moore.  Maybe we trade Rengifo and get the next Rengifo, but with less up and down part of his game.  Then finally, we have to hit on most of those draft picks they didn’t part with and they have to be the next wave of guys to either start or fill holes on a roster that needs plenty of floor lifting. We need that draft to be as good as the 2009, even minus the Trout part of the draft.  That draft saw Trout, Grichuk, Skaggs, Richards, Patrick Corbin. Then you add Trout and whatever he gives you his last few years.  

is-that-all-karen-mott.gif

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

My point was about the mindset of the ownership and front office going forward (stop planning on being a contender by getting an 8 WAR season out of Trout).

You seem to be talking about what would have to happen with the current group of players to be a 100 win team.

Those are two different conversations.

And don’t take “100 wins” literally.  I just think this should be an elite franchise with goals of excellence, not just being competitive.  And my wish is they would be wise enough to pursue that level of excellence without it being dependent on Trout carrying the load. 

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

is-that-all-karen-mott.gif

That was my point. Notice how I didn’t even mention free agency? I’m at the point where I take the Eppler approach.  The team needs to play, like it deserves to be upgraded. 

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

My point was about the mindset of the ownership and front office going forward (stop planning on being a contender by getting an 8 WAR season out of Trout).

You seem to be talking about what would have to happen with the current group of players to be a 100 win team.

Those are two different conversations.

And don’t take “100 wins” literally.  I just think this should be an elite franchise with goals of excellence, not just being competitive.  And my wish is they would be wise enough to pursue that level of excellence without it being dependent on Trout carrying the load. 

Yep, that path has to be through player development and very little free agency until the right time. 

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That was my point. Notice how I didn’t even mention free agency? I’m at the point where I take the Eppler approach.  The team needs to play, like it deserves to be upgraded. 

Oh, I know. I've been in the same boat as you for quite a while now, saying that they basically need every single young player to turn out on the upper end of their projections for any version of this team to have a shot in the next few years. 

On 5/1/2024 at 10:05 AM, Duren, Duren said:

He would become the defacto veteran star (based on salary and past reputation). with a chance to show leadership by example.  

Rendon is not, and will never be, a leader on this team. He's not made of that kind of moxie.

Come to think of it, it would be interesting to find out how many games Rendon has played without Trout in the lineup?

It can't be more than a dozen.