• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels shut out by Reds, hurt by Rengifo’s two-out error

CINCINNATI – One day after his throwing error led to a five-run first inning for the Cincinnati Reds, Angels second baseman Luis Rengifo booted a two-out ground ball that resulted in three unearned runs and a 3-0 loss Sunday before a crowd of 23,935 at Great American Ball Park.

Angels starter José Soriano (0-3) took a no-hitter into the sixth inning, but Cincinnati’s Elly De La Cruz broke it up with a one-out infield single. Two batters later, Rengifo misplayed Nick Martini’s grounder, and Cristian Encarnacion-Strand smoked a two-run double off the top of the wall in left-center field.

Jeimer Candelario’s triple plated Encarnacion-Strand for a 3-0 lead and spoiled the longest outing of Soriano’s career. The right-hander finished with a career-high seven strikeouts in six innings while allowing three hits, three walks and a hit batter.

The Reds had no hits before the sixth and only one after, but the three unearned runs were more than enough for the Cincinnati bullpen, which compiled 8 1/3 shutout innings after starter Frankie Montas took a Miguel Sanó line drive off his right forearm in the top of the first and exited after just 16 pitches.

Emilio Pagan (2-1) earned the win as the second of five relievers for Cincinnati, while closer Alexis Diaz secured his fourth save of the season and second in as many games.

The Angels left five runners on base through the first three innings and nine for the game as they dropped their fourth game in a row and ended their 10-game road trip with a 3-7 record.

They will be back in action Monday at home against the Baltimore Orioles.

View the full article

1 hour ago, AngelsWin.com said:

CINCINNATI – One day after his throwing error led to a five-run first inning for the Cincinnati Reds, Angels second baseman Luis Rengifo booted a two-out ground ball that resulted in three unearned runs and a 3-0 loss Sunday before a crowd of 23,935 at Great American Ball Park.

Sheesh. 

One error that extended an inning is the big story here?

How about getting shutout by the Reds in a full bullpen game while 4 batters continue to hit under .200?

Fletch likely doesn’t write the headlines, typically editors do that. It’s also pointing out that poor defense from Rengifo has been a big factor in the last two losses. That’s kind of a big part of how the weekend went for the team.

15 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

Fletch likely doesn’t write the headlines, typically editors do that. It’s also pointing out that poor defense from Rengifo has been a big factor in the last two losses. That’s kind of a big part of how the weekend went for the team.

Yeah I get that his defense (or lack thereof) is an issue and I'm not particularly motivated to stand up for him. I just felt like it's lazy/emotional to single him out.

2 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

I was shocked that his error yesterday was his first of the year.  He's had a few other plays that were borderline errors, and I just assumed at least one had been called that way.

14 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I was shocked that his error yesterday was his first of the year.  He's had a few other plays that were borderline errors, and I just assumed at least one had been called that way.

For me its the lack of progression over the past couple years that is shocking. If he could become a plus defender in addition to already being a plus hitter, we're talking about a legitimate top 10 2B in the league. I guess maybe part of the issue is the bouncing around between positions, I don't know. 

17 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Somehow, he's actually significantly regressed this year, so, yeah, who the hell knows.

Might actually be a good sign TBH, maybe he is actually re-doing his technique or mechanics or whatever. 1 step back, 2 steps forward hopefully. 

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Nah, I think he's just not good defensively.  He seems like a headcase. 

I'll choose to remain optimistic, the bat plays and we have bigger issues. Also on pace for like 40-60 SBs this year which is of course doubtful but still nuts. 

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Nah, I think he's just not good defensively.  He seems like a headcase. 

He plays hard and tries, and he is one of our very, very few clutch hitters. However, he simply has no talent for defense. Limited range, poor lateral movement, and hands of stone. He doesnt have the size and power as the archetypical DH, but maybe that is what he should be doing. It is not as if we have a Silver Slugger-caliber DH on our roster now.

17 hours ago, samwum said:

Sheesh. 

One error that extended an inning is the big story here?

How about getting shutout by the Reds in a full bullpen game while 4 batters continue to hit under .200?

If you want that story subscribe to the Baltimore Sun.