• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Conger should be our primary catcher

Iannetta: .220/.368/.361 in 242 PAs

And here are his splits on LHP vs RHP

.197/.352/.315 (RHP in 159 PAs

.266/.398/.453  (LHP in  83 PAs)

Conger: .257/.302/.440 in 116 PAs

And his splits:

.284/.320/.495 (RHP in 100 PAs)

.071/.188/0.71 (LHP in 16 PAs)

Though the sample size is too small for Conger versus LHP, I tend to agree that Platooning seems to work  best. 

Obviously Conger is showing more defensive prowess and is showing more power, while Ianetta is a walk machine, which are both valuable in their own ways. Definitely we are not in a bad position when it comes to the catching position, but Ianetta isn't showing his best this year defensively...

Besides, the catcher is more heavily involved in the game than any position player on the field. Because of the potential for injury, you don't want to overplay one catcher unless your second catcher is of the Jeff Mathis mold. Iannetta at least isn't an offensive black hole, and it gives Conger time to further develop.

Besides, the catcher is more heavily involved in the game than any position player on the field. Because of the potential for injury, you don't want to overplay one catcher unless your second catcher is of the Jeff Mathis mold. Iannetta at least isn't an offensive black hole, and it gives Conger time to further develop.

I'm pretty sure that Chris IaNEEDa break won't be starting at least 100 games at catcher again this season for the 6th time in his career since becoming a starting catcher.

Conger is becoming what we thought he would become back in 2011.  A solid hitting catcher, with meh skills behind the plate.  The fact that he is improving behind the plate bodes well for the future because that was supposed to be his one downfall.  Iannetta might be able to be dealt this off-season with a team friendly contract. 

A platoon seems like the optimal solution given the limitations of both players, but part of me wonders what Conger could do in a full-time role. We have all been so focused on his defense that it seems like we forgot that he was originally drafted as a guy who could have a big bat, and not just for a catcher. He's showing the power as of late and has demonstrated better plate discipline in the minors than we've seen so far.

A platoon seems like the optimal solution given the limitations of both players, but part of me wonders what Conger could do in a full-time role. We have all been so focused on his defense that it seems like we forgot that he was originally drafted as a guy who could have a big bat, and not just for a catcher. He's showing the power as of late and has demonstrated better plate discipline in the minors than we've seen so far.

One of my main concerns is that he doesn't hit lefties - at all. His average against them gives me Mathis flashbacks.

RBIs lol.

RBI's are dependent on the circumstances so its easy to dismiss, but Conger has been pretty bad with runners on. Not to say Iannetta has been much better. I say keep the platoon going. Conger has more power but Iannetta gets on base more.

Pumped to see a post like this.

Love me a catcher with a high CS % and love me a catcher with some power in the batters box. Happy to see him get better the more he plays. 

I've been rooting for Conger since I've seen him come up for the Angels. He's a local grown prospect (Grad of HB High) and has been with the Angels since day one of his ML career. He seems like a great guy who can lead our pitching, and keeps the team loose with his young perspective and personality. Nothing but the best for King Cong!