• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ippei fired by Dodgers after being accused of theft by Ohtani’s attorney’s

"There are so many potential crimes here, state and federal, and the big dangers with violating the anti-gambling laws is they're all written to go after organized crime, which means all the organized crime statutes can kick in, like RICO and money laundering," said Nelson, who has served as a government consultant to entities including the Arizona Department of Gaming, the Delaware State Lottery, the Illinois Gaming Board, the Michigan State Lottery and the New Mexico Gaming Control Board.

If Ohtani did knowingly wire the money to pay Mizuhara's debt, either to Mizuhara or directly to the bookie, he could be considered complicit in helping an illegal gambler collect, according to Nelson.

"In other words, he's helping the bookie collect the debt. It gets extraordinarily bad if he knew any of this was going on and agreed to it," Nelson said.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/could-shohei-ohtani-face-punishment-for-interpreter-gambling-scandal-what-legal-expert-mlb-rules-say/ 

13 minutes ago, ScottM said:

"There are so many potential crimes here, state and federal, and the big dangers with violating the anti-gambling laws is they're all written to go after organized crime, which means all the organized crime statutes can kick in, like RICO and money laundering," said Nelson, who has served as a government consultant to entities including the Arizona Department of Gaming, the Delaware State Lottery, the Illinois Gaming Board, the Michigan State Lottery and the New Mexico Gaming Control Board.

If Ohtani did knowingly wire the money to pay Mizuhara's debt, either to Mizuhara or directly to the bookie, he could be considered complicit in helping an illegal gambler collect, according to Nelson.

"In other words, he's helping the bookie collect the debt. It gets extraordinarily bad if he knew any of this was going on and agreed to it," Nelson said.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/could-shohei-ohtani-face-punishment-for-interpreter-gambling-scandal-what-legal-expert-mlb-rules-say/ 

Odds of some plea deal to lesser crimes.  Cant imagine this goes to trial

3 hours ago, Lhalo said:

I want to hear Ippei say "I have shamed my family" while he slumps his head with Japanese dramatical music being played in the background. 

The camera man needs to slowly zoom in as this is happening.

Ippei has dishonored his master, so it is a sure bet he will commit seppuku.

EDIT: I should probably read the whole thread, first, in order not to Craig a seppuku post.

Edited by ettin

4 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Plot twist. Trout didn't know because there never was a girlfriend.

Last week when this story was breaking, Shohei was watching Shawshank Redemption, and the part where Andy tells the asshole guard "do you trust your wife" and on and on about the IRS.

So he's faking being married because he thinks wives protect you from the IRS 

(Remember that he watched this without Ippei, so he didn't understand the whole scene exactly how Andy said it)

You're obtuse!

26 minutes ago, ScottM said:

If Manfred has access to FBI evidence, and it’s compelling, then he has to take a strong stance. We’re talking Federal crimes and a violation of MLB players association agreement. If Pete Rose got a lifetime ban (who I know bet on baseball games) then what does Ohtani merit. 

And, since Ohtani was kind enough to defer his earnings, what are the potential damages from being suspended for 1 or 2 years? 

There is probably a plea deal in his future as well as the FBI will probably go hard on this because they like the headlines. 

Of course, Manfred has never been accused of doing the right thing…

Very unlikely to be resolved by opening day. Unless there is some sort of dramatic surprise coming soon. 

So I wonder how Dodger fans will react with this cloud over their new hero? 

I would expect over compensating reflex  favorable responses. Treating him as an innocent, somewhat naive  victim. Too much fan emotion and money has already been invested in expectations of him being who they want him to be. The latest franchise HOF icon and catalyst to multiple championships. 

I would expect a long sustained  standing ovation at the opening home game ceremonies. Rallying around him and showing solidarity in support. Unless overwhelming evidence comes out clearly implicating him of actual crimes. 

Furious efforts are probably underway on damage control. And will be until there is a resolution. 

53 minutes ago, budice0 said:

Odds of some plea deal to lesser crimes.  Cant imagine this goes to trial

Odds are the feds caught multiple people doing the same thing.  You think they'll give Ohtani special treatment?

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

Odds are the feds caught multiple people doing the same thing.  You think they'll give Ohtani special treatment?

If he's found to have committed a crime and they hold him accountable, it's a witch hunt.

4 minutes ago, Rico said:

Wonder what are the odds for special treatment for Ohtani. Will the Dodgers Bauer him and let him go?

Bowyer is going to have a complete list of every bet that was wagered and the source along with what was wagered on. He will also be explaining how a guy making $300k a year is offered credit to $4.5 million. I doubt he is an Ohtani fanboy. He is going to be pleading out every step of the way to get out of jail before he hits his AARP years. 

On 3/21/2024 at 3:34 PM, Tank said:

World Map GIF

As the world turns, these are the days of our lives.

Dude, you're combining two soap operas. As The World Turns goes back to the 1960s. My grandmother used to watch it.

The line you are looking for is "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Days of Our Lives."

Yes, I was subjected to too much daytime television back in the day. 

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan