• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ippei fired by Dodgers after being accused of theft by Ohtani’s attorney’s

I'm late to all this (and the story is crazy). 

Not too familiar with any of it. Will have to read more when I have the time.

... but how did Ippei run up a several million dollar debt?

And the answer here isn't "he's addicted". It's Who, when he owed one million, kept letting him bet more?

It's one thing if he was a celebrity/athlete/oligarch etc. But "I work for Ohtani" im doubting gets him a pass from whoever was taking his bets.

At the end of the day, this is kind of tragic.  I joke about the series of events, but Ippei's life is kind of a disaster now.  That's sad.  I hope he's able to straighten out his life.  I'm wondering if he'll be charged with anything.  He clearly made poor choices and I hope he gets help for his addiction.

4 minutes ago, T.G. said:

At the end of the day, this is kind of tragic.  I joke about the series of events, but Ippei's life is kind of a disaster now.  That's sad.  I hope he's able to straighten out his life.  I'm wondering if he'll be charged with anything.  He clearly made poor choices and I hope he gets help for his addiction.

The story changing and not fully adding up adds another wrinkle to the whole thing. 

I don’t think we have heard all the details, yet. 

Okay, the story Ohtani's lawyers are proposing is pure fiction. Here is where the timeline burns them. First it was reported Ohtani was paying off Ippei's gambling debt.

But that is considered a gift and as such it would have to be reported to the IRS by both Ohtani and Ippei and would create a tax burden. If either hadn't reported gambling winnings or debts along with the gift then they are in violation of tax laws.

If either reports gambling winnings or losses, MLB gets involved which would threaten Ohtani's contract and MLB career. 

The money came from Ohtani's account which is supervised by his accountant. There is no way these withdrawals could have occurred without Ohtani's accountant being aware and notifing his client. 

So Ohtani's lawyer fabricated a story of bank theft, which is nearly impossible. The only real plausible situation is Ohtani was betting and using Ippei to make the transactions thinking it wouldn't be traced back. And I am sure the FBI knows this along with the IRS. 

Ippei should have gotten a better lawyer before falling on a sword. Supplying a story that will be proved a lie by the FBI and IRS is going to cost him prison time either way. Bank fraud or lying to cover Ohtani's gambling still lands him in jail. Unless he takes a plea bargin.

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Okay, the story Ohtani's lawyers are proposing is pure fiction. Here is where the timeline burns them. First it was reported Ohtani was paying off Ippei's gambling debt.

But that is considered a gift and as such it would have to be reported to the IRS by both Ohtani and Ippei and would create a tax burden. If either hadn't reported gambling winnings or debts along with the gift then they are in violation of tax laws.

If either reports gambling winnings or losses, MLB gets involved which would threaten Ohtani's contract and MLB career. 

The money came from Ohtani's account which is supervised by his accountant. There is no way these withdrawals could have occurred without Ohtani's accountant being aware and notifing his client. 

So Ohtani's lawyer fabricated a story of bank theft, which is nearly impossible. The only real plausible situation is Ohtani was betting and using Ippei to make the transactions thinking it wouldn't be traced back. And I am sure the FBI knows this along with the IRS. 

Ippei should have gotten a better lawyer before falling on a sword. Supplying a story that will be proved a lie by the FBI and IRS is going to cost him prison time either way. Bank fraud or lying to cover Ohtani's gambling still lands him in jail. Unless he takes a plea bargin.

I cant wait to see this on Netflix.

It’s also worth noting that using a wire “which entitles the recipient to receive money or credit as a result of bets or wagers” is explicitly listed in the U.S. criminal code as a violation that can result in a fine or imprisonment for up to two years, which might explain the about-face after Mizuhara said Ohtani himself sent the wire transfer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-ohtani-interpreter-scandal-piecing-together-the-confusing-timeline-based-on-what-weve-been-told-so-far-014454049.html