• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Albert Pujols returns to Angels camp looking for ways to give back to the game

TEMPE, Ariz. – After more than 700 career home runs, while topping $340 million in total earnings, Albert Pujols’ ride off into the sunset seemed inevitable.

Last playing with the Angels in 2021 and retiring after the 2022 season, it seemed Pujols would merely resurface at the rare Angels or St. Louis Cardinals special ceremony. Certainly he would be there to give a speech at his Hall of Fame induction.

Is there really any need to prove himself within the game anymore?

Yet there was Pujols at Angels camp again Monday, ready to impart his wisdom on the next generation as a guest instructor. Getting his hands dirty with the young players of the game does not feel like a duty for one of the most legendary players of the game, it is his honor.

“I think at the end of the day it’s about giving back and (enjoying) the experience,” said Pujols, with an Angels cap perched atop his head again. “Some of these young guys are the future. I’ll do whatever I can to help them out to get their game better or to have success in their career.”

After Tim Salmon and Mark Gubicza have already spent time as guest instructors, Pujols will be joined by another Angels legend this week in Vladimir Guerrero.

Pujols’ desire to help extends beyond the Angels’ organization. He also has been named a manager in the Dominican Republic winter league, when he takes over for his favorite team as a youngster: Los Leones del Escogido.

So could a run as an MLB manager be in Pujols’ future?

“Yeah, I think, why not?” Pujols said. “If the opportunity is right one day, I think I’d be ready for that. But right now, I’m going to focus on what I need to do, which is here for a week and then in the D.R., getting the team ready.”

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts, who had Pujols at his disposal for a large chunk of the 2021 season, is impressed.

“AP is one of my favorites and it’s great for baseball,” Roberts said of Pujols’ decision to manage in the Dominican Republic. “For Albert, when you have somebody who is as knowledgeable and as decorated as him, who wants to give back to players when he doesn’t have to, it’s important.

“… And if he chooses, I hope he gets the opportunity to manage (an MLB team).”

Angels star Mike Trout is equally as impressed with his former teammate’s desire to actively remain in the game.

“He loves the game and you obviously saw that when he played,” Trout said Monday. “And now, what he’s learned over the course of 20 years, something like that, he’s willing to put that back into play. He’s seen everything. I’m sure he’d be a great manager and that’s awesome.”

Trout admits that his dedicated work ethic, and lead-by-example style, was partly inspired by playing alongside Pujols for so many years.

“Albert wasn’t a real vocal leader, but when he needed to, he came out,” Trout said. “When you see Albert come to the ballpark every day, he had a routine and never skipped a day. He was grinding every single day. He always got his work done. I saw that, the dedication, the work and obviously the numbers showed that on the field.”

Both players also know the routine of having to work through injuries later in their careers. Pujols empathizes with what Trout is going through, having played 82 games or less in three of the past four seasons.

“It sucks man; injuries suck,” Pujols said. “Mentally it helped me out knowing it’s just part of the game. You need to look at how you’re going to deal (with it). Are you gonna let it affect you, or are you going to continue to train and get ready?

“I’ve seen Trout training. There is nobody that trains harder than him in the locker room. But when you take that field, there’s some things you cannot control.”

After more than 3,000 career games, Pujols has seen the ultimate highs and lowest of the lows. He simply feels it would be a shame not to help others deal with those.

“I wouldn’t be wearing this uniform if I didn’t think I had a lot of things to offer the game,” Pujols said. “My job is to help these guys. I won’t go out there and hit for them, but just let them know how to handle the mental part of the game or the physical part of the game. I’ve done everything.”

ALSO

Right-hander Sam Bachman (shoulder surgery) and left-hander Jose Quijada (elbow surgery) had throwing sessions of 75-90 feet and 120 feet, respectively. … Infielder Luis Rengifo (hamstring) has resumed baseball activity, while infielder Michael Stefanic (quad) is doing light activity. … Right-hander Robert Stephenson (shoulder soreness) had a long-toss session.

View the full article