• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

6 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Ok. Great.  That was fun.

It didn't happen though.

What else you got?

There is no evidence this is the deal, correct.

If, by chance, in 2034 it is announced the Ohtani has purchased part ownership in the Dodgers, will you please remember that some random dude on this website saw the structure of the deal Ohtani signed in 2023 and viewed it as being a structure that would break no current rules but would actually facilitate a player playing for equity?

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

There is no evidence this is the deal, correct.

If, by chance, in 2034 it is announced the Ohtani has purchased part ownership in the Dodgers, will you please remember that some random dude on this website saw the structure of the deal Ohtani signed in 2023 and viewed it as being a structure that would break no current rules but would actually facilitate a player playing for equity?

I can't even remember what I had for breakfast.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Also, what else I got?  Nothing.  It’s the offseason and we are talking about the only thing happening in baseball.  Contracts.

Wrong.  We have also been discussing possible names for Ohtani's dog.

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

I miss the time when we all thought Ohtani was on a plane to Toronto.

Now we know why it wasn't him.  At only $2 million a year, he can't afford to fly a Global 5000 anywhere on his own dime.

8 hours round trip x $10k an hour for a G5000 = $80k for the SNA-YYZ round trip.

That's the equivalent of $2400 for someone making $60k a year.

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I doubt we'll ever know because the negotiations were super secret squirrel, but I'm curious to what we offered, and how realistic it ever was that he would stay.

Arte's conversation with Ohtani started like this...

"Hey Shohei, we can't even afford to send our radio broadcast team on the road..."

15 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Wondering if the IRS will have something to say about deferring 68m of his $70 m. After all it is payroll. Before i retired the most i could defer into a retirement account was 15%. 

That's tax deferral, which has a flat number cap.

Shohei is not just deferring the taxes on it, he's deferring the receiving of it entirely.  Not even the IRS is so evil as to tax you on payroll you haven't received yet.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

He wouldn’t have to want to be a permanent owner to make the deal I described.  He could choose the cash, or the ownership, or sell the increased value of ownership position and make hundreds of millions more.

This wouldn't surprise me at all.  Of course they wouldn't be able to structure something like that now, but I would bet there's a back room deal for him to have an interest.  One of the greatest players of all time and of Japanese descent.  They'll keep that fan base for another decade plus.  

i wasnt all that mad or aggrieved about the dude signing with the doyers but this whole 2M in actual salary shit got me to change my mind.

fuck this dude and fuck this shit.

idk how mlb can allow more than 90% of a contract to be deferred, idk how that should be able to lower a teams AAV, and idk what kind of smooth-brained, mouth-breathing, helmet-wearer defers practically his whole contract. i dont buy for a second he offered this same deal to all of the teams he was dealing with.

if he comes back and pitches like shit, im gonna enjoy it now. i hope he has fun with the first round exits.

3 minutes ago, 3pitchwalk said:

i wasnt all that mad or aggrieved about the dude signing with the doyers but this whole 2M in actual salary shit got me to change my mind.

fuck this dude and fuck this shit.

idk how mlb can allow more than 90% of a contract to be deferred, idk how that should be able to lower a teams AAV, and idk what kind of smooth-brained, mouth-breathing, helmet-wearer defers practically his whole contract. i dont buy for a second he offered this same deal to all of the teams he was dealing with.

if he comes back and pitches like shit, im gonna enjoy it now. i hope he has fun with the first round exits.

If Chokeshaw (Clayton) retires they should get out of first round.

Its easy to defer $680 million when you're pulling in $40-$60 million/year in endorsement money. 

The Dodgers have a Grade A front office. A lot of people here upset by this would be calling Arte a genius if Shohei and him agreed to this with the Angels. If the CBA says nothing about capping deferments, then honestly, why the hell not? 

I've always felt baseball needed a salary cap and floor but at this point; it almost feels like thats virtually impossible now.