• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Ugh! No way perry spends 12m on Stephenson and not 12m on Martinez. He quite literally got bamboozled and he will make an excellent GM for another team.

I am sure that Martinez would not have taken 12M 2 months ago.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

And I wouldn't think Perry would be likely to publicly say "I wanted to sign more players but my boss said no." However, I think we can assume that's the case.

But the question isn’t “why didn’t you spend more money to improve the team?”

The question is “given the resources you had available, how did you determine that the best allocation was to spend 95% of it on the bullpen?”

He should be able to give a sufficient answer to that question, since he’s the one who decided to spend the money.

Assuming, of course, that it wasn’t Arte saying “let’s give $30M to Stephenson, Moore, García, Cisnero, Cimber, Kolarek, and Plesac.”

Edited by BTH

10 minutes ago, BTH said:

But the question isn’t “not spend more money to improve the team?”

The question is “given the resources you had available, how did you determine that the best allocation was to spend 95% of it on the bullpen?”

He should be able to give a sufficient answer to that question, since he’s the one who decided to spend the money.

Assuming, of course, that it wasn’t Arte saying “let’s give $30M to Stephenson, Moore, García, Cisnero, Cimber, Kolarek, and Plesac.”

I just assumed it came down to Arte changing the budget on him. But it could be that he felt that was the best value. Or maybe Arte insisted we improve the bullpen, since he has to approve all big deals anyway. Regardless, it sounds like we had an offer out on Snell, so it isn't like he wasn't willing to spend more, Arte just undervalues pitchers. 

20 minutes ago, BTH said:

I love that you are telling the journalist what his job is. 

1 hour ago, BTH said:

Well they have starters they like and the bullpen was pretty empty. Perry talked about their lousy run differential in innings 6-8 and said it was a priority to improve. Go back to the stories written when they signed Stephenson. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Well they have starters they like and the bullpen was pretty empty. Perry talked about their lousy run differential in innings 6-8 and said it was a priority to improve. Go back to the stories written when they signed Stephenson. 

That's reasonable, but the position player depth is pretty empty now.

They are two injuries away from an NRI playing every day.

I think it's easier to find diamonds in the rough on the mound than it is at the plate.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

One is a respected journalist and the other is Sam Blum. 

Or you could just admit you do the same shit as other people.  That would completely invalidate your holier than thou shtick though so I can see why it’s hard for you

6 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Blum isn't really a journalist. He's a dude building his own brand, which is why he so often inserts himself into the story. That's not journalism. 

This doesn’t even make any sense.  Even if this applied to Blum which I really don’t think it does, that certainly wouldn’t disqualify him from being considered a journalist

35 minutes ago, mmc said:

Or you could just admit you do the same shit as other people.  That would completely invalidate your holier than thou shtick though so I can see why it’s hard for you

I don’t tell Blum how to do his job. I just don’t like how he does his job, I think he tries to be the story. You kids like that, I think it’s pathetic. BTH is literally telling Fletcher how to ask questions. Fletcher has been in the business probably about as long as BTH has been alive. My holier than thou shtick?  That’s cute. 

12 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I am sure that Martinez would not have taken 12M 2 months ago.

Jeff: Any thought that if Montgomery’s price has also cratered enough that the Angels might consider signing him? I don’t think that’s very likely but just asking….

10 hours ago, BTH said:

That's reasonable, but the position player depth is pretty empty now.

They are two injuries away from an NRI playing every day.

I think it's easier to find diamonds in the rough on the mound than it is at the plate.

They also have position players they like at every spot. if you want to replace someone with a bona fide upgrade, that’s probably $15M at least. 

If you’re talking about “depth,” that exactly what NRI’s are. 

It’s fair to quibble that they should have signed Nick Ahmed as an NRI or given Brandon Crawford $2M instead of Ehire Adrianza but in all those cases you’re talking about a guy who does nothing but play defense, so I’m willing to shrug and say their evaluation is better than mine.