• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

9 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

Since this essentially has turned into Jeff Q&A...

Do you think there is some foresight into only signing a bunch of relievers to 1-year deals with the idea that they can trade them at the deadline? As in, we're not going to spend big until we see what we have, but we'll sign relievers because we can/probably will move them for prospects that replenish the system? Or is it strictly, "Our bullpen stunk and we wanted to focus only on that" ? 

I am not sure how to answer that. I don’t think they’re planning on trading but certainly they’re aware that they can. 

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I think you're misunderstanding. 

No one is saying Urshela is good. The point is improving the depth over last year. Doc explained it pretty well, I think. Urshela is better than what we had and what we currently have. If the depth we have puts up negative WAR, but Urshela puts up positive WAR....?????

I'm not misunderstanding anything.  He wasn't supposed to have as much playing time as he did and broke in two. So you can't project his performance to be the same as last season, any valuation Doc referenced has zero relevance to this season.

20 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I'm not misunderstanding anything.  He wasn't supposed to have as much playing time as he did and broke in two. So you can't project his performance to be the same as last season, any valuation Doc referenced has zero relevance to this season.

What do you mean he wasn't supposed to have as much playing time as he did? He was the starting SS. 

Urshela is just an example of the type of player the Angels need. They should have brought him back. Should have got JD Davis. Should get Brandon Belt. 

We have no infield depth. We're an injury away from Soto getting 500 at bats. We need guys who are better than Soto as depth. Urshela was one of them. 

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

91 OPS+ with the bat is about 10% below league average. So his value came from defense but breaking a pelvis is no small injury. My guess it will have an effect on the quality of his play going forward. That makes him easily replaceable with any toolsy middle infielder without losing any production. Urshela, like Moose, is more a fan infatuation than important part of the team. 

I’m not one of those people who has that fan infatuation.

@Docwaukee illustrated it best, and I’d argue that he’s not “easily replaceable” as shown by the Angels complete inability to replace him when he got injured last year.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

“With the bat” he had a 91 OPS+

An 100 OPS+ is average. And average isn’t replacement level.

Below average OPS+ ≠ Below replacement level OPS+

2 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I thought we may keep Pomeranz.  I thought he pitched pretty well in ST.  Oh well, someone else will sign him, and he'll end up beating us 3 times this season. 

Same. I hope they can bring him back on a milb deal if he can’t find an MLB deal elsewhere.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

What do you mean he wasn't supposed to have as much playing time as he did? He was the starting SS. 

Urshela is just an example of the type of player the Angels need. They should have brought him back. Should have got JD Davis. Should get Brandon Belt. 

We have no infield depth. We're an injury away from Soto getting 500 at bats. We need guys who are better than Soto as depth. Urshela was one of them. 

I believe we essentially fell apart last year when Neto went down. 

On 3/22/2024 at 1:06 PM, Angels 1961 said:

Still take your son and wife. Best times I've had are games with my kids and friends. Especially if your son loves the game. 

On 3/22/2024 at 1:38 PM, BTH said:

What if your son hates the game?

My son definitely loves baseball, but he's as sick of the Angels as I am. We are traveling a lot this year and plan to go to games at other ballparks. I'm not putting any more money into the team until Arte sells or they put a winning product on the field.

1 hour ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

My son definitely loves baseball, but he's as sick of the Angels as I am. We are traveling a lot this year and plan to go to games at other ballparks. I'm not putting any more money into the team until Arte sells or they put a winning product on the field.

That will be great fun seeing other ballparks. Even minor league games are lot of fun. First year of Quakes I had a 20 game plan went with my 2 sons all the time. I also feel halos might surprise some people this year. This year watch young players develop I think is going to be fun.

1 hour ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

We're going to a Twins and Brewers game this summer. 

11 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

We're going to a Twins and Brewers game this summer. 

Nice. My son is going to a Cooperstown tournament this year for travel ball. We're going to a Mets game and then going to Boston to watch the Red Sox and Yankees play at Fenway. Then going to Virginia to visit family and and going to go to an Orioles game. Will probably go to a couple Padres games as well.

1 minute ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Nice. My son is going to a Cooperstown tournament this year for travel ball. We're going to a Mets game and then going to Boston to watch the Red Sox and Yankees play at Fenway. Then going to Virginia to visit family and and going to go to an Orioles game. Will probably go to a couple Padres games as well.

Rad!

We try to hit two new parks a year, but it's getting more difficult. 

Just a few more days until we lock up this thread for good. 

Will Montgomery and Belt sign before Thursday and where?

This may be the weirdest off-season I can remember in Angels history. 

I think it's safe to say that the Angels biggest splash this offseason was Ron Washington. 

1 minute ago, Chuck said:

Just a few more days until we lock up this thread for good. 

Will Montgomery and Belt sign before Thursday and where?

This may be the weirdest off-season I can remember in Angels history. 

I think it's safe to say that the Angels biggest splash this offseason was Ron Washington. 

There are barely even any rumors about Belt these days. I really do wonder if he even wants to come back right now.

13 minutes ago, Chuck said:

This

Angels are banking on him to improve the overall play of the team and develop the youngsters

41 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

There are barely even any rumors about Belt these days. I really do wonder if he even wants to come back right now.

He's gone fishing... and he may not come back.

8 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I like JA's approach this spring. With not signing any DH at bats will be available, I say roll with him. 

Yeah they got to find a way to give him at least 450 at bats this season somehow to see what they have in him. 

Let's just hope he stays healthy.