• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

14 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Spending your entire budget on the bullpen seems rather nonsensical to me.

If this ends up happening then it’s fucking retarded. Sure spend it all on the pen but don’t give out $33 million to one guy. Sign all the one year arms to move at the deadline. If Perry had a plan and then Arte pulled the rug out from him then Perry should resign. 

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

GREAT GREAT NEWS FOR ANGEL FANS. Best news of off season and will make u love Arte. That's right Rodger Lodge has been signed. It's a 1 year contract. Please do not start honking your horns while driving. Honking your horn could cause road rage or an accident. If you do get in an accident remember to call Sweet James.

Looks like you’re handling the Lorenzen news well.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

If this ends up happening then it’s fucking retarded. Sure spend it all on the pen but don’t give out $33 million to one guy. Sign all the one year arms to move at the deadline. If Perry had a plan and then Arte pulled the rug out from him then Perry should resign. 

This is what I’ve been saying.

25 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Spending your entire budget on the bullpen seems rather nonsensical to me.

Feels like a masked rebuild.  Go with a bunch of young players, sign a bunch of RPs that can be traded off at the deadline for organizational filler at worst.  The reality they haven't made a single depth signing is telling IMO.

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Arte's words and spending on pen made me think we were going to be active. What a disappointing off-season. 

What did Arte say that made you think the Angels were going to be active? I'm genuinely curious, as I had the opposite impression.

I'm not sure why anyone thought they were going to make another significant signing at this point. 

Edited by jsnpritchett

I believe this is just year to see what young players can do. DH go to Trout, Rendon among others. Brandon Belt would make more sense just in case Schanuel is not ready. MIF depth could come from end of ST as teams let players go.

13 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I believe this is just year to see what young players can do. DH go to Trout, Rendon among others. Brandon Belt would make more sense just in case Schanuel is not ready. MIF depth could come from end of ST as teams let players go.

That would make sense if Perry didn’t blow $33 million on a reliever that has only ever been good for 6 months on the rays. Been crap outside of that. If we are rebuilding and taking flyers on tradeable relievers how is a $11 million dollar reliever tradeable

6 minutes ago, Ochocinco! said:

That would make sense if Perry didn’t blow $33 million on a reliever that has only ever been good for 6 months on the rays. Been crap outside of that. If we are rebuilding and taking flyers on tradeable relievers how is a $11 million dollar reliever tradeable

I did not like that signing. Perry might have been thinking of 2025 and 2026. Estevez traded at deadline and Stephenson close in 25. Only time will tell if 33 mill is a bad decision. Garcia, Plesac and Kolarek were also bad decision but lot less money. Signing Strickland, Pomeranz and Sano might be good signings. Angels have decent young starters and position players.

32 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'm not sure why anyone thought they were going to make another significant signing at this point. 

I never understood the whole -- "they aren't going to spend 50 mil on the pen and call it a day", mentality. Moreno said they were going to run with a smaller payroll and they actually traded off salaries that could have served as filler.  Those things happened in reverse order but they seem to correspond pretty well.

Seems pretty clear they are going to turn the reigns over to the younger guys and look at where they are organizationally next season.  I don't doubt they were hoping someone might fall to them, but can't say I'm surprised this may be it.

53 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Feels like a masked rebuild.  Go with a bunch of young players, sign a bunch of RPs that can be traded off at the deadline for organizational filler at worst.  The reality they haven't made a single depth signing is telling IMO.

the lack of depth is particularly glaring.

like they're really gonna go with one of Adrianza/Sano/Soto? And then when injuries hurt, that means those guys get even more PT.

9 minutes ago, BTH said:

the lack of depth is particularly glaring.

like they're really gonna go with one of Adrianza/Sano/Soto? And then when injuries hurt, that means those guys get even more PT.

I would not be surprised if they add someone in the next week who’s a roster crunch or a vet on a minor league deal who will be released. 

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

…I don't doubt they were hoping someone might fall to them, but can't say I'm surprised this may be it.

Not sure Martinez, Snell, Lorenzen could have fallen much further, although the draft pick was a problem with Snell. Hell, Lorenzen, who put up good numbers as a starter before he ran out gas, cost the same as García, a dime a dozen pen guy. Much less than Stephenson or Moore. I don’t think they were waiting on anybody to fall to them after the early pen signings.

11 hours ago, DMVol said:

Not sure Martinez, Snell, Lorenzen could have fallen much further, although the draft pick was a problem with Snell. Hell, Lorenzen, who put up good numbers as a starter before he ran out gas, cost the same as García, a dime a dozen pen guy. Much less than Stephenson or Moore. I don’t think they were waiting on anybody to fall to them after the early pen signings.

The draft pick/Opt out was at the root of the Snell thing.  As far as the others go, I agree they were about as cheap as we could expect and the reality that they didn't sign any of them is very telling.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

If they would have been more transparent I wouldn't care, but the way they've played this offseason has eliminated any desire I have to attend a game. Typically I'm a 15-20 game a year person (with my wife and son). We won't be attending any games this year... Unless they make the playoffs by some miracle. 

52 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

If they would have been more transparent I wouldn't care, but the way they've played this offseason has eliminated any desire I have to attend a game.

I don't really care if people say, "Arte doesn't care." This is what I mean when I say the team is directionless. Why do we have to do a "masked" rebuild? Why not just do one? 

The most telling part to me, the way I know without a doubt Arte is exactly as I imagine him, is that Trout is constantly going to him and telling him to sign guys. Don't you think Arte would say, "Mike we're taking it easy this year. Not going to spend." The fact that Trout keeps going to him tells me that Arte isn't telling him the direction of the team. And look, I'm a loser fan on my computer. Trout is the franchise's greatest player ever. And Arte isn't telling HIM the direction of the team? And please don't tell me that he is, Mike would make these public statements and tell Heyman the quotes he did unless he too thought they would go after good players. This, to me, is what makes him baseball's worst owner: not even the franchise GOAT knows what the direction of the team is, to the point that he is now, for the first time ever, putting public pressure on the owner to sign players. And still no response from the owner and no moves made. Not a single move made since signing...Hicks? 

These are the times I wish this was the Yankees. I'd love for local media to ask Perry why he spent only on the bullpen. And I'd love a follow up with Mike about how happy he is with the offseason. We know our owner won't ever share with the fans what's going on. 

7 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I'd love for local media to ask Perry why he spent only on the bullpen. And I'd love a follow up with Mike about how happy he is with the offseason. We know our owner won't ever share with the fans what's going on. 

Would love to see these questions asked the next time they speak, @Jeff Fletcher

Edited by BTH

pretty unfortunate we as fans have to suffer through what… 14-15 years now of a subpar product, because Arte Moreno and the constant carousel at GM make poor player personnel decisions. 

There was 1 way to be decently competitive this year and it was to spend some money. And then he decides this is the year he grabs his check book and goes home? 

even if rebuilding the farm and not losing a draft pick was the goal, there were ways to go about showing the fans and Mike Trout we are still commited to a playoff pursuit. (JD Martinez, Davis, etc) 

I really don’t understand why he insists on making everyone suffer, just sell the team. 

Well it be nice of no one goes to the games and not buy any Angel gear and have it like Oakland with almost empty stadium.  Mr. Moreno doesn’t want to improve the team and spend money when we have supported and spent our hard earn money over the years and I think it’s time we stop spending our money. The fans deserve better