• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

Whoever signs Snell isn't going to have the benefit of having him for a full season. It's going to take some time for him to get ready and be able to pitch in the regular season. I don't have numbers to support this, but I think pitchers who get don't have the benefit of a full spring training, suffer some because of it.

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

We don’t know.

We sure don't.

I get that. 

Arte could surprise us all in the end, but I think most of us are skeptical of that possibility.  It's getting close to opening day.  The way the team is presently constructed just doesn't inspire much confidence from a fan's point of view.  It's still baseball and surprises happen all the time.  I think a lot of fans have baseball fatigue and the season hasn't even started.

10 minutes ago, T.G. said:

We sure don't.

I get that. 

Arte could surprise us all in the end, but I think most of us are skeptical of that possibility.  It's getting close to opening day.  The way the team is presently constructed just doesn't inspire much confidence from a fan's point of view.  It's still baseball and surprises happen all the time.  I think a lot of fans have baseball fatigue and the season hasn't even started.

Just for the record, I think Moreno isn’t the right owner for this team.  I would prefer that he sell the team to somebody else that would run it more like the Dodgers are run.

I am excited that baseball is starting again but this exact roster isn’t very exciting to me.  The optimist does see that there is some real upside that could materialize and make them much better than expected (and subsequently far more exciting).

But my enthusiasm is very guarded and reserved until I see something materializing on the field.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

I would prefer that he sell the team to somebody else that would run it more like the Dodgers are run.

I must admit, I get a little tired of hearing anything about how the "Dodgers are run."  They've won one WS in a Covid shortened year despite all the money they spend and all the talent they develop. 

Yes, I'd take all of that for the Angels in a heart-beat, but the Dodgers aren't the end-all, be-all in baseball.  The Braves are just as successful.  The Astros (yes, I know) are more successful.  F the Dodgers.

Baseball is hard. 

If anything, I'd like to see a change in the organizational culture.  The Angels seem to be dysfunctional.  When Stoneman and Scioscia came to Anaheim they changed the culture.  The culture has gone down hill ever since they lost autonomy. That's on Arte. 

3 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I must admit, I get a little tired of hearing anything about how the "Dodgers are run."  They've won one WS in a Covid shortened year despite all the money they spend and all the talent they develop. 

Yes, I'd take all of that for the Angels in a heart-beat, but the Dodgers aren't the end-all, be-all in baseball.  The Braves are just as successful.  The Astros (yes, I know) are more successful.  F the Dodgers.

Baseball is hard. 

If anything, I'd like to see a change in the organizational culture.  The Angels seem to be dysfunctional.  When Stoneman and Scioscia came to Anaheim they changed the culture.  The culture has gone down hill ever since they lost autonomy. That's on Arte. 

Nobody hates the Dodgers more than I do.  I was just comparing the Angels to an obvious local team than wins far more games and controls far more talent on their roster and in their minor league system.

I would agree the Braves are a well run team too.

Heck I like how the Padres are willing to make bold moves.  I would take that too.

But the bottom line is I really want the Angels to find a way to be among to top 20% of teams in terms of drafting and developing players.  Things seem better recently but I suspect the Angels need changes at the very top to really approach what I would ideally like to see.

Just now, Taylor said:

Of course I am. Reddit Angel fans are the worst. We sometimes have our qualms with each other here, but the level of baseball ignorance over there is astounding.

Thank you, phew.

What Angels fans on a social media platform are worse? Facebook or reddit? 

I still believe Angels will surprise many this season. Team with a bunch of no names. I do not want to hear about Mike Trout until he can stay on the field. Just maybe Arte is right by not spending. Young team with hungry players. LET'S GO ANGELS. Maybe he will serve cheese to all the fans who wine.

3 hours ago, Ochocinco! said:

Arte won't spend money on Snell or Martinez but will gladly let Perry spend $50 million on the bullpen..... doesn't make any sense, hasn't all off season. Either Perry is an idiot and blew his load on an "improved bullpen" or Arte cut him off unexpectedly midway through the offseason 

The only explanation I could think of that would sort of make sense is that relievers fetch a good return at the trade deadline. Maybe he signed them hoping to also sign Snell/Montgomery and JD, but figured if those signings didn't happen for whatever reason they would have some tradable assets at the deadline to build up the farm.

14 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I still believe Angels will surprise many this season. Team with a bunch of no names. I do not want to hear about Mike Trout until he can stay on the field. Just maybe Arte is right by not spending. Young team with hungry players. LET'S GO ANGELS. Maybe he will serve cheese to all the fans who wine.

I think the core is good as well, however Snell and Martinez would make them better

8 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I think the core is good as well, however Snell and Martinez would make them better

I agree with adding Snell but has to be a contract good for halos. No opt out until after year 3. With so many teams needing pitching strange he has not signed.