• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

3 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

I’m sure someone else probably mentioned this, but anyone else get the feeling that Arte is trying to recoup the salary tax paid last year by limiting spending this year?

The Angels got under the tax, but he may be limiting spending anyway.  Or maybe he's saving for next season when they will have a better idea what the kids are capable of and it's not as shitty a FA crop.  Of course, he'd have to be listening to his baseball people to do that so... 

15 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Angels got under the tax, but he may be limiting spending anyway.  Or maybe he's saving for next season when they will have a better idea what the kids are capable of and it's not as shitty a FA crop.  Of course, he'd have to be listening to his baseball people to do that so... 

I Dont Think So No Way GIF by FTX_Official

Wouldn't be shocked if they moved someone. Let's face it, based on current history, when your OF3-4 are Moniak and Adell, your outfield isn't in great shape. Also wouldn't necessarily assume Bellinger is out, although I'm not expecting us to sign him. At league minimum, Hicks easily functions as a fourth outfield guy, and could also pretty easily be dropped. Signing him gives us more options. I would be pretty surprised if we still pursued Duvall, though. 

2 hours ago, Fake Chow said:

I like the Aaron Hicks signing.  127 OPS+ with Baltimore.  Low risk and high reward.  Saves $$$ for other moves.

The OPS though was partially masquerading a really high BABIP and low hard hit %.

Only 15 XBH’s in 236 O’s PAs 

Defense has also declined.

At best, somewhere between #4 and #5 OF

Edited by Angel Oracle

Like the move from depth perspective, but not really understanding the 5th OF thing. And if they keep all 5 of these guys...I'd be pretty frustrated. OF seems to be the easiest position for the Angels to replace/fill in for. They have Rengifo, Marisnick, Adams, Calhoun, and then some AAAA guys. I think you have to use this depth to find a way to get a better SP. Otherwise, they're going to platoon Moniak and Hicks? Give Adell DH at bats? I feel that using Adell as a DH is a waste of his full ability, as he has the potential to be a plus OF defender. I do not like the idea of carrying 5 OF, and Hicks' situation means if he got put on waivers, somebody would claim him. So you can't send any of your 5 OF down. Has to be a trade coming soon. 

18 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Like the move from depth perspective, but not really understanding the 5th OF thing. And if they keep all 5 of these guys...I'd be pretty frustrated. OF seems to be the easiest position for the Angels to replace/fill in for. They have Rengifo, Marisnick, Adams, Calhoun, and then some AAAA guys. I think you have to use this depth to find a way to get a better SP. Otherwise, they're going to platoon Moniak and Hicks? Give Adell DH at bats? I feel that using Adell as a DH is a waste of his full ability, as he has the potential to be a plus OF defender. I do not like the idea of carrying 5 OF, and Hicks' situation means if he got put on waivers, somebody would claim him. So you can't send any of your 5 OF down. Has to be a trade coming soon. 

Not really any different from when they had Phillips last year. 

LF/DH/1B: Ward
CF/DH: Trout
RF/DH: Moniak/Hicks platoon (instead of Renfroe)
4th OF/DH: Adell (instead of Phillips)

With Ohtani gone, the DH spot has enough open at-bats for these guys to cycle through some. And I know it hasn't been mentioned, but I could see Ward be in the mix as a back-up 1B here or there.

Still think they need to bring in a vet UT IF who has some legit SS experience. I know Rengifo can sub-in there, and we have Paris and Soto as internal options...but man, if Neto gets hurt again (especially with how often he gets HBP) or struggles it's a black hole there when it comes to true SS experience.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Still think they need to bring in a vet UT IF who has some legit SS experience. I know Rengifo can sub-in there, and we have Paris and Soto as internal options...but man, if Neto gets hurt again (especially with how often he gets HBP) or struggles it's a black hole there when it comes to true SS experience.

I thought Soto looked good when he was up in 22. He played well and didn't  have that deer in the headlights look like we saw with Paris and Adams.

9 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I thought Soto looked good when he was up in 22. He played well and didn't  have that deer in the headlights look like we saw with Paris and Adams.

I love his defense and hope they hold onto him, but also wouldn't be surprised if he was on the 40-man chopping block or a bit buried at this point. If Neto got plunked and broke a bone and missed 6 weeks, I don't think I'd want to see Soto there offensively or Rengifo there defensively.

Mentioned Brandon Crawford the other day...not really the route I'd go, but wouldn't be surprised if they were chatting with him. I guess Enrique Hernandez can play SS too but yeck. Nick Ahmed maybe too.

Edited by totdprods