• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

22 minutes ago, Chuck said:

From everything I've gathered over the past couple weeks, Arte Moreno is still reeling from losing Ohtani as he seriously thought the two-way sensation was going to stay. Losing him to the cross town rival Dodgers was just a dagger to his side and he's been disenchanted since. 

While butthurt and without any direction, he's stuck in that where the F do we go next mode while unwilling to overpay for Bellinger, Snell, Hader (at this time), since he's been burned by Hamilton, Pujols, Rendon's contracts in the past.

Arte is also stalling to move on anyone significant due to the pending Ballys TV deal in court. As our other teams.

Meanwhile Perry Minasian has been trying to add some mid-tier pieces and has even went to Arte about a certain starting pitcher some of us have wanted on here but Arte told him NO WAY. Didn't want the PR nightmare attached to the player, but it was interesting that Perry approached him and views him as top of the rotation arm, solid #2 on a good team. 

The thought is that Arte is bag of emotions & at a crossroads with the TV deal in play, but at any time he could just say F it and go big or just roll with what they currently have and let Perry fill in some voids in the mid-tier market. 

So selling is out of the question?

4 minutes ago, Ron Mexico said:

So selling is out of the question?

I'm sure that's still top of mind for him as he struggles to come up with an action plan for this season and the future post Ohtani.

28 minutes ago, Chuck said:

…The thought is that Arte is bag of emotions & at a crossroads with the TV deal in play, but at any time he could just say F it and go big or just roll with what they currently have and let Perry fill in some voids in the mid-tier market. 

I think this is it in a nutshell, why we’ve been awful for a decade. There hasn’t been a consistent, well executed plan. Arte may mean well (and I think he does, by in large) but running an organization based on his whims of the moment, is not a recipe for success. 

27 minutes ago, Chuck said:

From everything I've gathered over the past couple weeks, Arte Moreno is still reeling from losing Ohtani as he seriously thought the two-way sensation was going to stay. Losing him to the cross town rival Dodgers was just a dagger to his side and he's been disenchanted since. 

While butthurt and without any direction, he's stuck in that where the F do we go next mode while unwilling to overpay for Bellinger, Snell, Hader (at this time), since he's been burned by Hamilton, Pujols, Rendon's contracts in the past.

Arte is also stalling to move on anyone significant due to the pending Ballys TV deal in court. As our other teams.

Meanwhile Perry Minasian has been trying to add some mid-tier pieces and has even went to Arte about a certain starting pitcher some of us have wanted on here but Arte told him NO WAY. Didn't want the PR nightmare attached to the player, but it was interesting that Perry approached him and views him as top of the rotation arm, solid #2 on a good team. 

The thought is that Arte is bag of emotions & at a crossroads with the TV deal in play, but at any time he could just say F it and go big or just roll with what they currently have and let Perry fill in some voids in the mid-tier market. 

So because you got burned by Pujols, Hamilton and Rendon all your choices. The fans need to pay.

Sell the team please.  Give Perry a raise for dealing with your mess as well.

33 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I find all of this very believable and plausible. 

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

This just tells me how stupid Arte is.

Even if we as fans had some level of hope that he’d come back, we weren’t surprised when he left.

He’s also the guy who didn’t match the offer.

He’s literally the guy in the hot dog suit saying, “we’re all looking for the guy who did this.”

I would have expected the Angels to supplement the team in terms of depth by now if they weren't considering any big money signings.  Which makes me think that they still are.  They need a halfway decent versatile IF.  They need a halfway decent versatile OFer.  They need at least one rotation depth piece.  They need at least one stable bullpen arm (within reason).  

Ideally, those would come on short term deals that could be moved easily for other parts but that pool is dwindling.  

Really hard to tell what they intend to do.  

4 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I would have expected the Angels to supplement the team in terms of depth by now if they weren't considering any big money signings.

Same.

Maybe Arte isn’t even gonna give Perry money to sign depth signings now?

28 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I would have expected the Angels to supplement the team in terms of depth by now if they weren't considering any big money signings.  Which makes me think that they still are.  They need a halfway decent versatile IF.  They need a halfway decent versatile OFer.  They need at least one rotation depth piece.  They need at least one stable bullpen arm (within reason).  

Ideally, those would come on short term deals that could be moved easily for other parts but that pool is dwindling.  

Really hard to tell what they intend to do.  

Yeah, I don't think it's just a matter of not wanting to spend any money. I think they spent their max yesterday (I know those deals were in the works for months or years), which almost every team does I know. But still, they haven't always spent big and seem to be in the mix now. 

It also makes no sense for Arte, who refuses to rebuild and is competitive, to not allow Perry to spend on small signings in the $4-8 million range. It's much more likely that he wants to know about the TV deal and is unsure of which direction to go. It doesn't necessarily kill the Angels revenue (it's legalese way beyond my understanding), and most likely whatever comes next is going to be better than what we have now. MLB is most likely going to retain the rights from Diamond and then come up with a better system or platform. But not knowing may make things uncertain. And I think the fact that so many free agents are still out there means quite a few teams are waiting on what's going to happen. 

The fact that they are still active -- at least according to the unreliable reporters -- seems to indicate that maybe a lot of FAs are actually the ones waiting to say yes to get every possible team to the table. 

51 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Yeah, I don't think it's just a matter of not wanting to spend any money. I think they spent their max yesterday (I know those deals were in the works for months or years), which almost every team does I know. But still, they haven't always spent big and seem to be in the mix now. 

It also makes no sense for Arte, who refuses to rebuild and is competitive, to not allow Perry to spend on small signings in the $4-8 million range. It's much more likely that he wants to know about the TV deal and is unsure of which direction to go. It doesn't necessarily kill the Angels revenue (it's legalese way beyond my understanding), and most likely whatever comes next is going to be better than what we have now. MLB is most likely going to retain the rights from Diamond and then come up with a better system or platform. But not knowing may make things uncertain. And I think the fact that so many free agents are still out there means quite a few teams are waiting on what's going to happen. 

The fact that they are still active -- at least according to the unreliable reporters -- seems to indicate that maybe a lot of FAs are actually the ones waiting to say yes to get every possible team to the table. 

There is zero chance that whatever comes next on the TV/streaming front will result in the same or more revenue to the Angels as their current deal provides.  Literally zero.  At some point in the future, maybe there's a revenue source (or combination of sources) that can replicate/improve upon it--but the math just doesn't add up if/when RSNs go away.

Edited by jsnpritchett

3 hours ago, BTH said:

This just tells me how stupid Arte is.

Even if we as fans had some level of hope that he’d come back, we weren’t surprised when he left.

He’s also the guy who didn’t match the offer.

He’s literally the guy in the hot dog suit saying, “we’re all looking for the guy who did this.”

Well then what happened to Perry saying they have a "plan A, plan B and plan C"? 

Clearly Ohtani was plan A, but you've got plan B to work with. Obviously they talked about it prior to all this going down so now GO DO PLAN B. 

Or just sell the team finally and get the hell away from Anaheim, California and the West Coast.

It does seem fair to speculate whether or not Moreno is stuck in limbo trying to decide what he wants to do, but I really can’t find anything that isn’t speculation that actually directly supports that.

What I will say is the Angels have a PR problem.  Having everyone always speculating rather than knowing a direction/philosophy isn’t doing this team any favors.

You can’t be responsible for reacting to every speculation, but you should have strong enough messaging where the most of the speculation is dismissed as invalid because it’s not consistent with the strong messaging.

What is Arte doing?  We don’t know.  That is at the heart of all of this.

Spring training is creeping up. The Angels play the Dodgers Feb 24th. Less than six weeks away. That should be fun! 

Seriously, a great deal yet has to be done with the roster. And that comes from a firm philosophy and financial plan. Right now it's been a less than inspiring off season. And lots of uncertainties and contingencies. 

In theory the Angels should be a major market, but with Arte they remain a mid tier organization. And the gap keeps widening. 

By default more moves have to be made in the next month. We shall see what happens. Fans need a dose of optimism after losing Ohtani. Nothing will come close to compensating but some upgrades are still possible. 

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Well then what happened to Perry saying they have a "plan A, plan B and plan C"? 

Clearly Ohtani was plan A, but you've got plan B to work with. Obviously they talked about it prior to all this going down so now GO DO PLAN B. 

Or just sell the team finally and get the hell away from Anaheim, California and the West Coast.

Plan A stands for Arte's plan. After that , for plan B,C,D,E F G,etc., please refer to Plan A.