• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

The Angels are in on Snell. The Angels are in on Cease. They're enamored with Burnes. Either these reports are all bullshit or the Angels are prioritizing a TOR arm this offseason. 

Wondering how much Ohtani is clogging up the market, though. Obviously just a DH in the short term, but the financial commitment he'll require probably means any team in on him wants that situation resolved before looking at any other big contracts. 

56 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Well, the Angels were pretty close to getting Cole.

Bieber, Glasnow, Fried and Buehler all FA next winter with SoCal ties too. Odds are in Angels favor signing one of those guys but that becomes real difficult if they spend big on Snell now. 

Even aside from those guys, Snell is only going to disappoint IMO.

Yep. This is not the off-season to spend big.

8 hours ago, totdprods said:

Again, Burnes grew up an Angel fan and cited Weaver and Ryan as big inspirations. 

Skip big money for Snell and sign Burnes next winter, or pull a trade and extend now.

What do you think a deal would look like if we took on Yelich and his entire contract along with Corbin Burnes?

Yelich actually had a pretty good season in ‘23. 

35 minutes ago, Chuck said:

What do you think a deal would look like if we took on Yelich and his entire contract along with Corbin Burnes?

Five more years. He kinda peaked in 2018-2019. Hasn't been anywhere close to that before or since. He's a solid enough player, but not worth $130m ($26m/) for the next five years.

That said, assuming he's bounced back from the odd 2020 (small sample) and 2021 (back injuries), he's still serviceable. He fills a need in the outfield and would allow us to trade Ward to fill other holes, who may or may not have decent value still (BTV says he does). Also, the end of his contract coincides with Trout and Rendon. 

I'd probably want Milwaukee to pay at least a small amount of Yelich's yearly salary, maybe $5m per.

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

IMG_7207.jpeg

Not a bad year at all. The 5/125 remaining sucks, but it’s what we paid Hamilton and Upton and Yelich feels somewhat safer than those two. 

The fielding appears to have dropped some which is a little concerning, but he’s always had good discipline. Would be a great leadoff bat. 

As far as acquiring Burnes…hard to say. Have a tough time trading assets for a guy who IMO we have a strong chance to sign a year from now, so I’d rather wait until then. Milwaukee has so many damn outfielders.

I can’t really see the Angels pulling any big trades, we don’t have the prospects. We’d have to work in a third team, or see some additional trades that shake up current team that make guys expendable or replaceable via FA…like, I could squint and see the Angels signing a Gurriel or Teoscar to guarantee some OF production and moving Moniak and Ward in other deals, maybe with one tacked on to a non-Detmers arm, maybe Rengifo moving for an arm. Starts to become a risky Dipoto-esque domino effect though. Maybe Milwaukee eats some lesser Angel money (Anderson? Fletcher? Stassi?) to help facilitate and clear roster room and playing time for the Halos, giving them a little more payroll flexibility in ‘24 too.

Edited by totdprods

Marlins are getting hits on Trevor Rogers and Edward Cabrera…man I’d love to get one or both.

Feel like the Angels match up kinda well with them. It would have to be in the context with some other deals, but Ward, Adell, Moniak, any infielder, and even Thaiss for Miami’s needs. 

FWIW, one Sandoval almost equals both Cabrera (out of options) and Rogers (three options, lefty). They could maybe use more guaranteed to deliver 20+ starts. Rengifo fits. Thaiss could be a marginal value throw-in. As much sense as Adell+Moniak make as a platoon, sometimes wonder if that same platoon could go to another team and the Angels just add a proven OF. Ward also has Florida ties, FWIW. 

Miami still loaded with arms and they’re getting to a point where it’s difficult to roster all of them.

Edited by totdprods

15 hours ago, Chuck said:

I really don't think it would cost all that much for Burnes if we took on all of Yelich's contract. Luckily, Angels fans are used to overpays, especially in the OF. I've run it through the trade simulators, and trading them Rengifo alone according to the evaluator is more than fair value back to them. They really are in some payroll crunch time, need to move an OFer, appear ready to be signing their top prospect (a CFer), and need middle infield help with offensive upside. Sounds to me like Rengifo and Suarez should be more than fair for a pitcher that they will lose in a year, major financial relief, and filling their MIF need makes us line up well for them.

As you and I have discussed, this would be my offseason plan. Trade for Burnes and Yelich. Sign Ohtani if possible to DH and if not, signing JD Martinez. And build up our bullpen. 

Our team needs more players who draw walks throughout the lineup, so we can have more balanced production. We had way too many free swingers last year in our lineup.

As for my offer to Ohtani, it would be as such:

$45 miliion a year guaranteed per year for 10 years making him the highest paid player in the game, just as a hitter. 

Add in $1 million for every 10 innings, rounded up (so at 10.1 innings he gets $2 million). If he pitches 150 innings, he's at an insane amount of $60 million for that year. Bonuses for All Star Appearances, awards, etc. 

Opt outs for him after years 2, 4, and 6. The Angels get 1 opt out after year 5. 

20 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I really don't think it would cost all that much for Burnes if we took on all of Yelich's contract. Luckily, Angels fans are used to overpays, especially in the OF. I've run it through the trade simulators, and trading them Rengifo alone according to the evaluator is more than fair value back to them. They really are in some payroll crunch time, need to move an OFer, appear ready to be signing their top prospect (a CFer), and need middle infield help with offensive upside. Sounds to me like Rengifo and Suarez should be more than fair for a pitcher that they will lose in a year, major financial relief, and filling their MIF need makes us line up well for them.

As you and I have discussed, this would be my offseason plan. Trade for Burnes and Yelich. Sign Ohtani if possible to DH and if not, signing JD Martinez. And build up our bullpen. 

Our team needs more players who draw walks throughout the lineup, so we can have more balanced production. We had way too many free swingers last year in our lineup.

As for my offer to Ohtani, it would be as such:

$45 miliion a year guaranteed per year for 10 years making him the highest paid player in the game, just as a hitter. 

Add in $1 million for every 10 innings, rounded up (so at 10.1 innings he gets $2 million). If he pitches 150 innings, he's at an insane amount of $60 million for that year. Bonuses for All Star Appearances, awards, etc. 

Opt outs for him after years 2, 4, and 6. The Angels get 1 opt out after year 5. 

Are the Brewers truly motivated to move Yelich though, especially in a package to essentially cancel out the value of their most valuable trade asset?  I haven't seen any reason to believe that.

17 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

really don't think it would cost all that much for Burnes if we took on all of Yelich's contract. Luckily, Angels fans are used to overpays, especially in the OF. I've run it through the trade simulators, and trading them Rengifo alone according to the evaluator is more than fair value back to them. 

In a vacuum, this is 100% accurate and very doable, IMO. The problem is there are quite a few other teams who can do exactly this same scenario plus offering something better than what we could to get Burnes, and that's what makes it difficult. What type of package can the Angels offer before it starts to become detrimental to the club today, to the point where it either cancels the benefit Yelich and Burnes brings, or the point where it eats away MLB depth enough that they have to pay elsewhere for low-tier FA landmines. 

I do really like Yelich despite the rough stretches he's had and the contract, and think a change of scenery/return home could suit him well. I really like the safe 70-80 walks he'd bring in. 
One curious thing I've noticed - he went opposite field dramatically more last year...wondering how eliminating the shift affected him. 

image.pngimage.png