• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

So it looks like Juan Soto is going to be moved in a trade. Talks right now have the Padres and Yankees engaged. 

I know the Angels don't have the prospect capital to send to the Padres for Juan Soto, but do you see a match with some cost controlled younger guys on the major league roster that would make sense in a deal?

4 minutes ago, Chuck said:

So it looks like Juan Soto is going to be moved in a trade. Talks right now have the Padres and Yankees engaged. 

I know the Angels don't have the prospect capital to send to the Padres for Juan Soto, but do you see a match with some cost controlled younger guys on the major league roster that would make sense in a deal?

Because he is on the last year of his contract Soto’s trade value is about that of Canning and his years of control.  Or if you want to “overpay” you can give them Silseth and Rengifo.  

2 minutes ago, Chuck said:

It would cost an uncomfortable amount of names from the O’Hoppe, Detmers, Neto, Moniak, Schanuel contingent, and for one year, no way. 

Only way would be if San Diego was in big financial trouble (possible) and we did something like take the Darvish and Cronenworth contract, and even then we’d probably have to still ship them someone like Schanuel plus an arb guy like Sandoval, purely because they’d need to save some face for not getting prospects back even with the negative money absorbed on our side.

Some contender will offer the Padres 2-3 top prospects or MLB pre-arb/arb guys in a win-now move. Seattle and Texas both have that to offer, both have extensive history trading with San Diego, both could use the bat. I could see Dipoto pushing in his chips and trading Gilbert and another arm, plus a Kelenic or some such, and then signing FAs and going for it. Baltimore is a sleeper.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because he is on the last year of his contract Soto’s trade value is about that of Canning and his years of control.  Or if you want to “overpay” you can give them Silseth and Rengifo.  

So many teams could blow that offer out of the water without batting an eye, unfortunately. 

Soto is one of those cases where the value does not have to match up. Someone will be able to afford overpaying and we don’t have the pieces to outbid those teams.

Could we sure if we wanted to pay with the youth we are in need of to fill the MLB roster. I dont think many would be able to stomach the asking price myself included. Question that I think should be asked is would we or any team truly want to make that trade ? I like Juan Soto and agree he is a hell of a good ball player but the man has already turned down 400 Million some say well its becasue Washington isnt a contender ok well the Padres are and yet he wouldnt commit to signing an exstention there thus making him avalible. They are going to ask for young MLB players or near MLB players for a guy that you are almost promissed will leave you at the end of the year. I like him but count me out 

22 minutes ago, totdprods said:

So many teams could blow that offer out of the water without batting an eye, unfortunately. 

Soto is one of those cases where the value does not have to match up. Someone will be able to afford overpaying and we don’t have the pieces to outbid those teams.

Yep. 

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Seems like anyone could have confirmed that. Surprised he didn't list the Giants either. 
It really boils down to the Angels and Dodgers. 
Dodgers can offer money and win-now team
Angels can offer money and comfort. 

Something i've been thinking about would be the idea of Arte swooping in and telling Ohtani he will spend for additional help like Yamomoto and/or others. Plus trades. There has to be a reason they didn't want to trade him and Arte took back the team. I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back home. 

The other part of me hopes Ohtani feels like he owes it to the Angels in a small form. They let him do whatever he wanted and his injuries definitely hasn't helped the team. Part of their failures is on him is a small way. (This will trigger some people).

40 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Seems like anyone could have confirmed that. Surprised he didn't list the Giants either. 
It really boils down to the Angels and Dodgers. 
Dodgers can offer money and win-now team
Angels can offer money and comfort. 

Something i've been thinking about would be the idea of Arte swooping in and telling Ohtani he will spend for additional help like Yamomoto and/or others. Plus trades. There has to be a reason they didn't want to trade him and Arte took back the team. I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back home. 

The other part of me hopes Ohtani feels like he owes it to the Angels in a small form. They let him do whatever he wanted and his injuries definitely hasn't helped the team. Part of their failures is on him is a small way. (This will trigger some people).

They said this wasn't exclusive list, but even adding the Yankees and the Giants makes this list a decent list. The fact that the Angels are still on it, makes me hopeful.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

They said this wasn't exclusive list, but even adding the Yankees and the Giants makes this list a decent list. The fact that the Angels are still on it, makes me hopeful.

No one will say exclusive because anyone talking about it is full of shit. Just their cute way of saying "disclaimer in case i'm way off".
But yeah, i'm a tad hopeful too.

If the Angels convince Shohei to stay it's because they've mapped out a plan for the future that he's happy with.  And the fact that they're still involved makes me a bit bullish about their level of commitment.  

But here's the problem I see with most baseball players - they generally don't care about the farm system and it's importance to the sustainability of long term success.  They are generally fine with moving prospects and keeping major league assets.  

What that probably means is that keeping him will indicate they plan on taking a path similar to what they've been doing.  

You sorta need a minimum threshold of decency for you development system.  Once you drop below a certain level, the collateral effect sort of snowballs.  Waxing and waning a bit is fine but you just can put yourself in a position to be the worst in baseball every few years.  The time it takes to get back to reasonable seems to be non linear once you drop below a certain point.   

17 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

If the Angels convince Shohei to stay it's because they've mapped out a plan for the future that he's happy with.  And the fact that they're still involved makes me a bit bullish about their level of commitment.  

But here's the problem I see with most baseball players - they generally don't care about the farm system and it's importance to the sustainability of long term success.  They are generally fine with moving prospects and keeping major league assets.  

What that probably means is that keeping him will indicate they plan on taking a path similar to what they've been doing.  

You sorta need a minimum threshold of decency for you development system.  Once you drop below a certain level, the collateral effect sort of snowballs.  Waxing and waning a bit is fine but you just can put yourself in a position to be the worst in baseball every few years.  The time it takes to get back to reasonable seems to be non linear once you drop below a certain point.   

And since they have nothing in the farm that will move the needle in the next couple of years, you have to assume that mapped out plan is littered with free agency signings.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Again, Burnes grew up an Angel fan and cited Weaver and Ryan as big inspirations. 

Skip big money for Snell and sign Burnes next winter, or pull a trade and extend now.

This reeks of “Gerrit Cole grew up in Orange County” all over again

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

This reeks of “Gerrit Cole grew up in Orange County” all over again

Well, the Angels were pretty close to getting Cole.

Bieber, Glasnow, Fried and Buehler all FA next winter with SoCal ties too. Odds are in Angels favor signing one of those guys but that becomes real difficult if they spend big on Snell now. 

Even aside from those guys, Snell is only going to disappoint IMO.