• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Minasian season ending press conference notes

mmc

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

So you pretending means more than what Fletcher shared about the situation?  Ok. 

I'm not pretending? Fletcher is being told this by the GM. Maddon said different. Choose who you believe. That's fine we can disagree.

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'm not pretending? Fletcher is being told this by the GM. Maddon said different. Choose who you believe. That's fine we can disagree.

So you think he’s being told this by only Perry?  You don’t think Nevin has told him that?

Just now, Stradling said:

Why post firing?  Also he wasn’t fired. Nevin was all class on his way out the door.  That isn’t in Maddon’s DNA.  

"Firing" includes not exercising his option. His contract expired then. Prior to that, he may have felt like he couldn't say how much Perry was interfering or not. Hard to criticize. Plus he doesn't have 16+ years of managerial experience.

As far as Maddon, You dislike him and I like him. I like his honesty... He didn't say anything negative about Epstein when he was let go from the Cubs. I've always been a fan, dating back to his stint with the Angels. I thought they should've given him the job in 2000, after his excellent showing in 1999 in the last month. But they brought on Scioscia which was also a great decision, and kept Maddon as Bench Coach.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I mean, I think that's basically what I am saying. 

When I hear that they are teaching their pitchers to go for strikeouts, I think this is a great example of nerds who don't understand baseball. Obviously the stats will say that the strikeout is the best outcome for the pitcher, but a pitching coach should also be able to tell you that the goal is to prevent runs and get outs not just strike guys out. 

There is obviously a miscommunication there somewhere or just sheer incompetence.

Exactly, Rule #1 Strike one. Rule #2 Don't fall behind. Rule #3 Get outs.

Which is more effective for a pitcher. In conserving his pitch count while getting through an inning? 3 hitter minimum.

1. 6/9/11 pitch at bats that end up in a walk, hit, or an out? 18/27/33 pitch innings for 3 outs? = 3-4 innings pitched.

OR

2. 3/4/7 pitch at bats that end up in a walk, hit or an out? 9/12/21 pitch innings for 3 outs? = 5-6 innings pitched

Example. Detmers when he struggles he's pitcher #1 when he pounds the zone and gets a head in the count he's pitcher #2.

That's consistency within the strikezone and knowing how to set up hitters in as few pitches as possible.

We know as the game changes from a less aggressive approach as a hitter early on in the game vs middle and late innings also affect your effectiveness. Hitters also tend to take more pitches early and late to work the pitch count to get deeper into your bullpen which affects its effectiveness. Which comes back to consistency within the strike zone early in the game.

You're going to have a bad game or a bad inning. Consistency in mechanics, arm slot, getting a head early, pitching to contact most of the time remedies this. There are out layers.

2 minutes ago, Hubs said:

"Firing" includes not exercising his option. His contract expired then. Prior to that, he may have felt like he couldn't say how much Perry was interfering or not. Hard to criticize. Plus he doesn't have 16+ years of managerial experience.

As far as Maddon, You dislike him and I like him. I like his honesty... He didn't say anything negative about Epstein when he was let go from the Cubs. I've always been a fan, dating back to his stint with the Angels. I thought they should've given him the job in 2000, after his excellent showing in 1999 in the last month. But they brought on Scioscia which was also a great decision, and kept Maddon as Bench Coach.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2022/10/06/joe-maddon-tom-verducci-book-excerpt

In case you want to read from Maddon's POV.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

I don't think analytics are dumb for the record, I think they're a tool to be used.

But pulling Kershaw when he was pitching a perfect game... NO.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Pulling a guy with a history of injuries when fatigued is so dumb.  Having a guy like him healthy in the post-season is totally overrated.

Here's what the man himself had to say about it..

“Those are selfish goals. We’re trying to win. That’s really all we’re here for,” Kershaw said.

“I would have loved to have stayed, but bigger things, man, bigger things,” Kershaw said.

“Blame it on the lockout. Blame it on me not picking up a baseball until January,” said Kershaw, who threw a no-hitter against Colorado on June 18, 2014. "My slider was horrible the last two innings. It didn’t have the bite. It was time.”

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

And other issues too, in game decisions should be made my the manager, not according to a spreadsheet or bullpen matrix. And I hate micro managers in all aspects of life, which is what it seems like Minasian is.

You're right, Arte should have never forced Maddon on Minasian, that decision set the team back a couple of years while Maddon put on a Don Quixote outfit and went about trying to save the game because well, Joe Maddon is just that much smarter than everyone else.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

In one of Maddon's comments from his book, he took exception to being told to pull Trout in a blowout win. I have no problem with Perry talking to Joe about lineups or health concerns...but that should be before the game. Not during and it shouldn't have been an order. 

Yeah, because again.  A guy who is important to the team and has a recent history of injuries should be in games no matter how meaningless.

Were you by chance also a huge Terry Collins fan? 

13 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'm saying that Maddon said differently. 

I don't know who he talked to. @Jeff Fletcher Did you ask Nevin about this post firing? 

I have talked to both Perry and Nevin about this plenty of times. My sense from both of them is that what happens with the Angels is no different than how most teams operate. 

The GM and the analytics team comes up with some basic strategies and then get together with the manager and “agree” how they’ll be implemented. If the manager disagrees, he can voice his opinion and sometimes he’ll win and sometimes he won’t. But ultimately the GM is the manager’s boss and it’s no different from any of you who have a boss. 

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

You guys noticed this was the "year of the sweeper" right? This isn't because every org independently discovered this concept over the off season. This is the result of group think, and copycat management. A couple of organizations are having success and everyone else is trying to copy them.

It's no surprise that a lot of organizations are mimicking the others without fully grasping what processes those organizations put in place to truly make them successful.

MLB behaving like the NFL...

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

But inside of saying they are “focusing on strike outs” what they are really saying is, “this is the most effective pitch in this scenario, from this pitchers arsenal, to get a swing and miss, against this type of hitter, based on his weaknesses”. So it isn’t some nerd simply saying throw a sweeper. 

It's awesome that you were there during these discussions to personally confirm what was said between them.  I feel much better now about our nerds and their impact on the team.

17 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I watched him manage in TB and saw his ego get completely out of control as he bought into his own BS.  I'm sure he'd be a fun guy to hear talk about his experiences and baseball in general, I don't even think he's a dumbass or that he won't possibly get another chance, but I'm very glad they cut that relationship short.

2 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

It's awesome that you were there during these discussions to personally confirm what was said between them.  I feel much better now about our nerds and their impact on the team.

The reality is NOBODY here outside of maybe Fletcher was privy to any of those conversations.  Nobody can really claim the high ground on this one. 

3 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

You’re welcome. I am only here to provide a grown up account if things for you kids. 

A sweeper

Is just a speed adjustment off your breaking ball (slider/curve) though it may/may not have more rotations or spins. It usually is only effective for a bit as hitters lay off/adjust. You have + Velo on your primary to have anything that offers a change in view as a hitter. It's similar to a change ups effectiveness vs your Fastball. 

Now as you tire during the game or season. Do I want to lay up on one of my bullets, if it's the last one I'm throwing for 2 years? Probably, not.

I was taught every pitch has a meaning and the meaning is to get outs in any situation. Including setting up a hitter or getting out of a situation.

32 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I watched him manage in TB and saw his ego get completely out of control as he bought into his own BS.  I'm sure he'd be a fun guy to hear talk about his experiences and baseball in general, I don't even think he's a dumbass or that he won't possibly get another chance, but I'm very glad they cut that relationship short.

I was done with Joe when he intentionally walked a run in during the 4th inning when Angels were losing.