• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB Network Radio: Arte Moreno “put a cap” on GM salary in 2020, paid less than Assistant GM positions in other orgs.

BTH

Let me just add... the team took a huge step forward this year in the way they went about constructing a roster.  It didn't work out - but it wasn't the same old, same old.  Maybe Moreno is starting to figure stuff out.  Who knows?  At least there's a glimmer of hope.  I'm cautiously optimistic. 

48 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Money is reserved for flash in the pan free agents, not for long term executives.

That is the frustration thing….you could pay for 5 capable Assistant GM’s for Development with what he’s paying Rendon…it’s not that he doesn’t spend…it’s that he spends stupidly….

7 minutes ago, DMVol said:

That is the frustration thing….you could pay for 5 capable Assistant GM’s for Development with what he’s paying Rendon…it’s not that he doesn’t spend…it’s that he spends stupidly….

You could probably pay for 5 quality AGMs with like Tyler Anderson’s money.

Rendon’s money on a yearly basis would get you a Dodgers front office, and it’d be totally worth it.

18 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Let me just add... the team took a huge step forward this year in the way they went about constructing a roster.  It didn't work out - but it wasn't the same old, same old.  Maybe Moreno is starting to figure stuff out.  Who knows?  At least there's a glimmer of hope.  I'm cautiously optimistic. 

On the other hand, I could totally see Arte saying “I tried it your way and it didn’t work, so I’m doing it my way.”

He’s shown the willingness to flop sides before.

He let Eppler pick the manager, that failed, and he decided I want to get my guy (Maddon) regardless of what the GM thinks.

Then when Maddon failed, he flopped again and decided to let Perry fire him.

Just now, BTH said:

On the other hand, I could totally see Arte saying “I tried it your way and it didn’t work, so I’m doing it my way.”

He’s shown the willingness to flop sides before.

He let Eppler pick the manager, that failed, and he decided I want to get my guy (Maddon) regardless of what the GM thinks.

Then when Maddon failed, he flopped again and decided to let Perry fire him.

In each of those cases - they didn't change the way they constructed a roster.  That's the huge difference with Minasian.

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

For an owner who supposedly "loves baseball" - he doesn't always act like it.

I've said it before... the Angels have a culture problem and that starts with Arte.  At the end of the day, Arte may know how to make money - but he doesn't seem to know how to lead men and women.  He's not inspiring.  Great leaders make their teams feel safe.  He doesn't do that from what I can tell.  He seems to lack humility and I think many great leaders have that too.

I get the impression he loves the idea of owning a team.  He loves being at the park, etc. - but he doesn't have the passion for the game the way some owners might.  Maybe that's not fair.  I don't know the man.  That being said - over the years a picture of who he is has been painted for us and most of us wouldn't want to hang that painting on our wall. 

At the end of the day - it's his team.  He gets to do what he wants to do and it's all out of our control  I'm an Angels fan, but being a fan isn't the most important thing in my life.  It's not even close.  Baseball is supposed to be fun.  Angels baseball hasn't been much fun of late.  Thankfully, I have other things to do and focus on.  I keep my eyes on the Angels because when it is fun - it's real fun. 

My interest would probably be even less than it is right now if it wasn't for AW.  AW helps keep my interest in the game.  AW is a big part of my fandom now.  That's saying something.  That's a testimony to the work Chuck has done.

Players, coaches, GM's, broadcasters, etc. all come and go... but the AW faithful are here day in and day out.  That helps make baseball fun for me.

Well said, T.G. Totally agree....

~ArkyAngelsFan~

I dunno. I think regardless of how Perry did or didn’t do, or Nevin, or the FO, or Arte….it’s really pretty easy to point to injuries as the main culprit this year. It really did get to a point where it was unsustainable and had to be incredibly demoralizing. That Ward HBP and Ohtani  being unable to PH in Toronto had to have players subconsciously doubting.

Reminds me of the Eppler year-plus where every SP needed TJS, and then basically every replacement needed TJS too. At some point you just can’t overcome it.

The Angels had basically an entire lineup and rotation - a decent one on paper - on the IL basically June through…now, really.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Was thinking this exact same thing. Was gonna go with Fred Rated (shadow stevens) but thought it would go over too many heads.

The other thing that instantly popped into my head was from You don't mess with the Zohan, where the Israelis have a store named "going out of business".

"This watch gets hbo.."