• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blake Snell

Ron Mexico

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Also don't know what guys like Sandoval, Canning, Suarez, or Detmers might do in a true 5-man rotation. Or any free agent adds. 

It is well documented that Ohtani's start every sixth day has affected the routine of every other pitcher on the staff. It is also probably not a good idea to have one player calling that many shots.

This is part of the problem i had at the deadline... the only path to success is to go after the top FA this off season, the problem with that is all the top guys have massive risks. 
As people have said Snell has never been consistent with how many innings pitched and such, so even if hes the best available is that a good thing?  
And thats before we get to guy having career years in a contract year.
The only path really open to us is so fraught with risk its almost not worht even doing. 

My top choices would be Sonny Gray and Yoshinobu Yamamoto. In Gray you get a veteran that's has been a solid 2 in any rotation. With Yamamoto you get another young pitcher with big upside and solid stuff

Gray I think your looking at that Bassit contract, and with Yamamotot it could be anywhere from what Sanga got to Tanka's.

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

"Better" is still a 4.60 ERA (and his FIP is actually higher with the Dodgers than it was with the White Sox).  Just don't think he's what the Angels need at all right now, even on a one-year deal. 

What I'm saying is 1 year deal fill in back of rotation with Anderson. Do not go out and sign someone to 5 or 6 years for 150 mill. Angels in 2024 will not be in running for a playoff spot. Develop young players on this team now. Lynn has had a bad year but still with Dodgers a winning record but has pitched some bad games to inflate his ERA. Takes the ball every 5th day and gives you 6inn. Top FA pitchers are not coming to halos this off season. If not Lynn I sign Lorenzen he likes the beach.

10 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

What I'm saying is 1 year deal fill in back of rotation with Anderson. Do not go out and sign someone to 5 or 6 years for 150 mill. Angels in 2024 will not be in running for a playoff spot. Develop young players on this team now. Lynn has had a bad year but still with Dodgers a winning record but has pitched some bad games to inflate his ERA. Takes the ball every 5th day and gives you 6inn. Top FA pitchers are not coming to halos this off season. If not Lynn I sign Lorenzen he likes the beach.

You mean the Lorenzen who's getting moved to the bullpen because he's been god-awful since the no-hitter? 

12 hours ago, totdprods said:

Signing a super expensive pitcher sounds dumb as shit right now given the overall state of the team. 

Rangers have done pretty good recently signing guys to those mid-range deals. Perez, Gray, Gibson, Lynn, even Heaney. We tried with Anderson, it didn’t work, but those deals don’t kill a budget, especially if Ohtani and/or Trout aren’t here next year. And they’re affordable enough to dump if they suck without too much egg on the face, and affordable enough to be great trade value if they’re good and the team is out.

Angels should sign one SP who is kind of high-risk/high-reward on a one-year deal, like they did with Syndergaard. Maybe that’s Giolito, Severino, Flaherty, Maeda, and then lock in another Anderson-esque 3/$30-39m type like Montgomery. See if you can get a young bat (2B? OF?) for Sandoval, like a Jordan Westburg, or an outfielder from Arizona or St. Louis or Andy Pages or an infielder from Cincy. Draft the best, closest to MLB-ready college arm and fast-track him. Drop the ‘win now’ mentality and let the kids grow into the next core, and trade off vets as able.

Forget Giolito. He had his look here; we got no Cinderella; all pumpkin.

On 9/14/2023 at 1:40 PM, Angels 1961 said:

Pitched better with Dodgers and he eats innings. Get him on 1 year deal. 

On 9/14/2023 at 1:44 PM, jsnpritchett said:

"Better" is still a 4.60 ERA (and his FIP is actually higher with the Dodgers than it was with the White Sox).  Just don't think he's what the Angels need at all right now, even on a one-year deal. 

Maybe, he usually pitches deep into games. My concern is his Strike outs are down with the Doggs. Maybe he's tired? But, he does take the Rock and shoves Home Runs be dammed.

He wouldn't be a bad guy to Mentor a young staff either. He is an old school throw back. Probably from his Cards days...? Coming up and pitching with Carpenter & Wainwright.

Snell wise.... For me another Lefty doesn't work unless we deal 1-2 of ours.

Snell is similar to Detmers, Sandavol, Suarez repertoire wise... As an opponent there really isn't much over thinking needed on the series preparation side. Same pitchers same repertoire you just have to go back and look at previous videos of at bats and see if their tendencies have changed organizational Pitching Philosophy wise or if they've added pitches or changed more. Which is pre-series scouting.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Would Yamamoto command as much as 5 years/$100 million not including the posting fee?

MLB Trade Rumors just updated their ongoing Japanese players to watch list:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/09/npb-players-to-watch-september.html

While they don't speculate a dollar amount for Yamamoto, he's having another great year and will still only be 25 for the majority of next season.  He's gonna get paid.