• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Blake Snell

Ron Mexico

I like Blake Snell a lot. But he isn’t getting $250 million. This is only the second time he’s pitched over 130 innings in a season and only his second season of making 30 starts. I don’t know what his price tag will be but I wouldn’t want the Angels to give him $250 million. Maybe something closer to what Carlos Rodon got from the Yankees. But again he’s a 5 1/3 inning starter. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I like Blake Snell a lot. But he isn’t getting $250 million. This is only the second time he’s pitched over 130 innings in a season and only his second season of making 30 starts. I don’t know what his price tag will be but I wouldn’t want the Angels to give him $250 million. Maybe something closer to what Carlos Rodon got from the Yankees. But again he’s a 5 1/3 inning starter. 

Agreed.  I don't think he'll get near that amount.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I would have agreed before but now with Urias likely off the market and Ohtani not being a pitching option next year, the FA class for pitching is now much thinner near the top. I still doubt he sees 250 but he will see much more than he would have. 

Signing a super expensive pitcher sounds dumb as shit right now given the overall state of the team. 

Rangers have done pretty good recently signing guys to those mid-range deals. Perez, Gray, Gibson, Lynn, even Heaney. We tried with Anderson, it didn’t work, but those deals don’t kill a budget, especially if Ohtani and/or Trout aren’t here next year. And they’re affordable enough to dump if they suck without too much egg on the face, and affordable enough to be great trade value if they’re good and the team is out.

Angels should sign one SP who is kind of high-risk/high-reward on a one-year deal, like they did with Syndergaard. Maybe that’s Giolito, Severino, Flaherty, Maeda, and then lock in another Anderson-esque 3/$30-39m type like Montgomery. See if you can get a young bat (2B? OF?) for Sandoval, like a Jordan Westburg, or an outfielder from Arizona or St. Louis or Andy Pages or an infielder from Cincy. Draft the best, closest to MLB-ready college arm and fast-track him. Drop the ‘win now’ mentality and let the kids grow into the next core, and trade off vets as able.

Besides, the ‘24-‘25 free agent SP class rocks too. Would rather look at doing a mega-deal for an arm then. We’ll have a much better idea of the direction of the club over the next 5+ seasons by end of next year.

Buehler, Burnes, Fried, Glasnow, Cole could weirdly opt-out if he’s tired of NYY, Means, Soroka, couple other big names have opt-outs and options too. 

Let’s make 2024 be about building the depth of the club, majors and minors, and establishing the next core without high expectations. 

Edited by totdprods

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

He would be 34 next season, but comes off two good seasons with the Twins (ERA 3.00/WHIP 1.15/only 18 HR in about 280 innings).

3 years/$60 million?

Yeah, that's about what Chris Bassitt got (3/$63m) and he's in his age 34 season. Really comparable pitchers...Gray has much more track record, but also more mileage 276 G and 1554 IP to Bassitt's 166 G and 916 IP. 

Otherwise, real, real similar. 

• Bassitt: 3.53 ERA, 116 ERA+, 3.94 FIP, 1.199 WHIP, 8 H9, 1 HR9, 2.8 BB9, 8.2 SO9
  • Gray: 3.50 ERA, 120 ERA+, 3.59 FIP, 1.209 WHIP, 7.7 H9, 0.8 HR9, 3.1 BB9, 8.7 SO9

He's the closest I would consider an 'ace' to be worth pursuing this winter. Sure wish we had signed Bassitt.

blake snell has zero reason to sign with the halos. he's already on a sub-.500 team with a couple of stars, so coming to anaheim would be a lateral move at best.

that said, if he was genuinely interested in playing here, i'd kick the tires and see what he's asking, but $250 mil is completely out of the question.

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

absolutely agree.

It'll also be a lot more fun as fans watching a team with little expectations out of the gate. Maybe get more casual fans a little more invested into the minor leagues too. 

I could see it paying dividends for guys like Sandoval, Detmers, Adell, and Rengifo too. They've had a lot of pressure put on them since day one essentially to 'win for Troutani'. Take that off of them in '24 and maybe they flourish and find their ceiling. Who knows, might even be good for Trout and Rendon. Perhaps recognizing that window has closed and they're moving into the vet statesmen flips some sort of new mental switch.

Edited by totdprods

6 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

This may be a little bit controversial, but I do wonder if Ohtani’s unicorn efforts  may have come with a smaller price of being distracting to the overall team.

These 8 seasons likely involve various reasons.   This is just another one to consider.

Also don't know what guys like Sandoval, Canning, Suarez, or Detmers might do in a true 5-man rotation. Or any free agent adds.