• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Shohei Ohtani has ‘realistic chance’ to play in Seattle

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM — The promise of Shohei Ohtani being back in the lineup had gone on for nearly a week. The Angels were waiting on the two-way star to be able to swing the bat without pain, a streak that extended for seven games as he nursed a sore right oblique.

He was not in uniform again Sunday for the series finale against the Cleveland Guardians, but that could end Monday when the Angels travel to Seattle for a three-game series against the Mariners. Manager Phil Nevin said there is a “realistic chance” of seeing Ohtani playing.

“He feels better today again,” Nevin said. “I know he’s going to take some swings later. I would say today probably.”

Pressed to define “realistic”, Nevin said, “There’s a good chance that he feels he’s good tomorrow and will play.

“Today’s the day where he feels pretty good. He hasn’t swung yet, but like I said, he felt a lot better doing that.”

Ohtani had been a constant in the lineup all season even after tearing the ulnar collateral ligament in his right arm. He missed just two games earlier in the season.

JOYCE, NETO RETURN

Right-hander Ben Joyce was back in the locker room, quietly preparing for Sunday’s game when Angels teammate Logan O’Hoppe gave him a noisy welcome.

“Benny’s back!” O’Hoppe shouted.

Joyce, along with Zack Neto, returned from rehab assignments before Sunday’s series finale against the Cleveland Guardians. And not only was he back in uniform, but Joyce was also back on the mound in Sunday’s 2-1 victory against Cleveland.

The Angels had placed Joyce on the 60-day injured list back in July with ulnar neuritis in his throwing arm and he was all too happy to rejoin his teammates.

“It’s tough anytime you are not able to play and have to be on the sidelines,” Joyce said. “It’s been a longer process than I would have liked, but it’s good to be back now and get through all the hurdles in the recovery process and be back with the team.

“Being back here is all I really wanted.”

Nevin said that he would take it slow with Joyce’s return, limiting his outings until he’s comfortable and doesn’t experience any lingering discomfort.

“We want to make sure he’s feeling right. We’re excited to see him back on the map here,” Nevin said.

Joyce was eager to get back to throwing in a big-league game situation after spending time with the Single-A Inland Empire club, where he struck out one batter and gave up a hit this week in his first appearance in nearly three months. He also tossed a perfect inning.

“I feel good. I wouldn’t have said I was ready if I didn’t feel I could give it all I have,” Joyce said. “I feel 100 percent now. I think I will be able to continue the rest of the year and work in the offseason.”

In corresponding moves, outfielder Trey Cabbage and left-hander Kolton Ingram were optioned to Triple-A Salt Lake following Saturday’s game.

PHILLPS GETS HIS SHOT

Center fielder Brett Phillips had been waiting for this moment all season, to parade through the dugout with the kabuto on his head. The samurai warrior helmet is worn by players who hit home runs.

He finally got his chance when he blasted his first home run of the season in Saturday’s 6-2 victory, a solo shot over the right field wall for his first homer since July 17, 2022.

What was the experience like?

“It was heavy. Real heavy, (but) it felt good,” Phillips said of the kabuto.

Phillips said what felt even better was contributing to the victory.

“It was encouraging with the way this year has gone,” said Phillips, who spent 66 games for Triple-A  Salt Lake City. “Now, I’m just taking advantage of an opportunity down the stretch here. Any chance you get to help contribute to a big league win it’s always good.”

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Reid Detmers (3-10, 4.82 ERA) at Seattle RHP Logan Gilbert (13-5, 3.61 ERA), Monday, 6:40 p.m. Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

In 2024 as a Mariner?

I know, that's what I thought this was going to be about.

I think the Dodgers and/or Giants will outbid Seattle, and my gut says he'll want to stay in California if given the choice.  But Seattle obviously has a good team, so that ticks off his box of wanting to play for a contender.

11 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

All-Star break fans in Seattle were cheering him to come to Seattle. I've yet to see anything like that in Anaheim. Where are the stay SHO stay shirts or stay SHO night. Maybe real SHO fans want him on a better team.

there's nothing Angels fans can do to get him to stay.

It'd be a nice gesture, sure.

But Angels fans aren't gonna be packing the stadium at all the rest of this season.

22 hours ago, gurn67 said:

One thing he did say when he entered the major leagues is that he considered the Mariners to be Ichiro's team, and that he wanted to make his mark with a team that didn't have a history of having a player that was hugely popular in Japan already. 

Too late.

Getting Shiggy with it on the pro golf tour? Former Mariners reliever Shigetoshi  Hasegawa is trying | The Seattle Times

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

1 hour ago, BTH said:

there's nothing Angels fans can do to get him to stay.

It'd be a nice gesture, sure.

But Angels fans aren't gonna be packing the stadium at all the rest of this season.

Having most talented player on your team just maybe management would have a Ohtani night. Pack stadium SHO that they care staying or leaving. Ohtani nothing but a class act SHO this MVP your appreciation having him on your team. I see nothing planned by this organization. 

7 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Having most talented player on your team just maybe management would have a Ohtani night. Pack stadium SHO that they care staying or leaving. Ohtani nothing but a class act SHO this MVP your appreciation having him on your team. I see nothing planned by this organization. 

the only thing they plan is Christmas in June

I don't think Ohtani plays another game in a Halos' uni.

why should he?

his arm is hurt, the Halos games are meaningless at this point, 

he's likely not coming back to Anaheim.

Maybe he can appear for an at bat or two in one or two of the final games at home in Anaheim - just to say goodbye to the fans.