• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you give Phil Nevin a Contract Extension?

Would you extend Nevin?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give Phil Nevin an Extension?

2 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Obviously not. He was a solid choice as a transition manager when Arte was planning to sell but that's all backfired now. 

In retrospect that was really the beginning of the end, when Arte changed his mind about selling. Everything made perfect sense up to that point. No long-term deals. Extend Ohtani for one year, sign Nevin for one year, but then...

Normally I'm not for firing managers as I believe they aren't as bad as most fans think and often get blamed for bad rosters or poor player performance. Also the follow-up question "who better would replace them?" typically isn't clear. 

In this situation Let Nevin go he's terrible. 

Hire some assistant or minors coach from the Braves, I don't even need a name. 

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

Normally I'm not for firing managers as I believe they aren't as bad as most fans think and often get blamed for bad rosters or poor player performance. Also the follow-up question "who better would replace them?" typically isn't clear. 

In this situation Let Nevin go he's terrible. 

Hire some assistant or minors coach from the Braves, I don't even need a name. 

Nevin is terrible, the roster is terrible and the players are performing poorly. 2023 baseball is ass! 

I think that we should avoid pinning the angels problems on Nevin.  If you want to list the Angels problems, Nevin or any manager is pretty far down the list.  We can debate whether he should have used Estevez in the 9th instead of the 8th.  But Estevez gave up a couple of runs himself.  Fundamentally the problem is that the Angels are out of bullets in the bullpen.  They didn’t - perhaps couldn’t - get anyone up to the club the night before. Anderson was a fuck up and lasted 3 innings.  That was the main thing yesterday. The situation was fucked and players didn’t get it done.  The team is as ever both underperforming and beat up.  They just don’t have enough to be in good situations.    

18 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Players are performing average not terrible.

We're essentially a .500 team. 

Problem is .500 is the worst place to be in MLB and it feels like we're perennially there. 

Yep!  Been saying this for years.  With an owner like Moreno, continued mediocrity seems to lead to false hope and a stubborn attitude towards doing the things you really need to do to succeed in the next 3-5 years. 

It remains unclear to me how much a manager really matters or impacts wins and losses. That said, while Maddon liked to play 4-D chess in odd ways and Sosh was stubbornly set in his ways and overly enamored with 80s-style small-ball, I don't remember nightly head-scratchers from either one like we see from Nevin - moves that people regularly say "WTF" to as they're happening and before anything goes wrong. With Sosh and Maddon, it was usually after the fact: "Well, that turned out to be a dumb call." With Nevin it is more like, "This won't go well" - and it often doesn't.

But really, the focus should be more on the GM. The GM constructs the roster and is ultimately responsible for the talent on the field. A couple factors make it tricky to analyze: inheritance from past GMs and owner role (including payroll). So while we cannot lay everything solely on the GM's door-step, they tend to have the most say in how good a team is than anyone else in the organization.

Before you say, "But if the owners don't open their vault, they can't build a good team," look at the Athletics over the last three decades or the Rays or other teams that find a way to intelligently build good teams, again and again, despite lower payrolls. Even the Astros have had a similar or lower payroll than the Angels over the last eight years, and we see very different outcomes.

Any halfway decent manager can lead a talented team to victories. If Nevin had a good team, he could only do so much damage. And the best manager in the world won't make a mediocre team great. There is no proof that Nevin's tough guy mentality has been any better or worse than Maddon's touchy-feely vibe. The team just isn't good enough and the minor league system just isn't producing adequate talent. 

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 minute ago, mmc said:

I think we'll be crap the next few years no matter the manager 

Even in that case, do you think he’s the best option to get the most out of young players?

If they’re rebuilding, I’d prefer to grab someone from like the Dodgers or Rays who’ll bring new ideas that have helped those orgs be successful.

If you’re gonna go with an unproven manager, do something like hiring Tampa’s pitching coach as manager and pair him with a former manager as bench coach.