• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Trade Deadline Thread

mmc

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

From my post in the Leone thread:

It appears that since May 23, subtracting just the one bad outing against the Cheaters in mid-June:

21.2 innings, 11 hits, 29/9 Ks/BBs, 2.10 ERA, 0.93 WHIP

Maybe he stopped throwing the cutter so much?

Past 3 outings, 4 seam 95-97mph, slider mid 80s

I see it- I’m liking the job Minasain has done basically re-tooling the team.

Jim Bowden's trade deadline grades for all teams.  Gives the Angels a D. 

https://theathletic.com/4737999/2023/08/02/mlb-trade-deadline-grade-2023/

"Key takeaways: The Angels put all their chips in and “rolled the dice,” as GM Perry Minasian characterized it in explaining their deadline. First, they decided not to trade Shohei Ohtani for what would have been the biggest return for a rental player in major-league history — we’re talking, probably six to eight top-20 type prospects. But the Angels will never know what they actually could have gotten back because they took Ohtani off the trade market a week before the deadline. Next, they traded two of their top five prospects to land impending free agent Lucas Giolito (and Reynaldo López, also a rental), then two of their top 30 prospects for impending free agents C.J. Cron and Randal Grichuk.

The Angels basically mortgaged their future because they feel they can still make the playoffs, which, if they’re successful, would improve their chances of re-signing Ohtani this winter. But I don’t think they are going to make the playoffs, particularly considering the rough schedule that awaits in August, and thus, likely will not be able to re-sign Ohtani, and thus, will have traded several of their top 10 prospects for expiring contracts.

I sincerely hope they do make the playoffs and Ohtani re-signs and I’m wrong. But I think in the offseason they’ll look back at this trade deadline and wish they had approached it in the opposite fashion. In the meantime, give Minasian credit. If you’re going to go for it, then go for it, and he certainly did, despite the potential consequences for himself and the club."

17 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Jim Bowden's trade deadline grades for all teams.  Gives the Angels a D. 

https://theathletic.com/4737999/2023/08/02/mlb-trade-deadline-grade-2023/

"Key takeaways: The Angels put all their chips in and “rolled the dice,” as GM Perry Minasian characterized it in explaining their deadline. First, they decided not to trade Shohei Ohtani for what would have been the biggest return for a rental player in major-league history — we’re talking, probably six to eight top-20 type prospects. But the Angels will never know what they actually could have gotten back because they took Ohtani off the trade market a week before the deadline. Next, they traded two of their top five prospects to land impending free agent Lucas Giolito (and Reynaldo López, also a rental), then two of their top 30 prospects for impending free agents C.J. Cron and Randal Grichuk.

The Angels basically mortgaged their future because they feel they can still make the playoffs, which, if they’re successful, would improve their chances of re-signing Ohtani this winter. But I don’t think they are going to make the playoffs, particularly considering the rough schedule that awaits in August, and thus, likely will not be able to re-sign Ohtani, and thus, will have traded several of their top 10 prospects for expiring contracts.

I sincerely hope they do make the playoffs and Ohtani re-signs and I’m wrong. But I think in the offseason they’ll look back at this trade deadline and wish they had approached it in the opposite fashion. In the meantime, give Minasian credit. If you’re going to go for it, then go for it, and he certainly did, despite the potential consequences for himself and the club."

It's a valid point. I've read a few others giving the Angels an A. So shoulder shrug.

That said, he's off with Ohtani fetching 6 top 20 prospects. The Mets did well for Verlander, for sure. They got 2. And I doubt anyone would have been jumping up and down for that for Ohtani.

Ohtani in theory is worth more than Verlander. But what team who's in it this year, who would move on Ohtani, has a slew of bona-fide can't miss prospects? Maybe there is a team, I have no idea. But looking at the top 100 prospects list, they're all spread out over 30 teams.... not like one or three teams, who are in the playoff race, with like 5 guys in the top 100.

The time to flip Ohtani for a massive return was a long, long time ago.