• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Mike Moustakas from the Rockies for Connor van Scoyoc

mmc

25 minutes ago, Blarg said:

He is still swinging at pitches out of the zone and living off of defense not being in the right place. 

I gotcha.  I'm not really hoping for any miracles, but I think if he can improve to, say, a ~700 OPS hitter who can play very good defense, I think he can at least be a serviceable backup who can function mainly as a late inning defensive replacement.

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Also, I wouldn't call this a good move. But I get it. Gotta keep that depth as strong as possible and have a bunch of guys who are, at worst, replacement level.

Yep, its likely as much to do with keeping the clubhouse believing they are all in as it does anything else.  They had back to back shut-outs after losing two players, they bring in help from outside.  You have to think the clubhouse respects that.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I give Minasian credit for going all out trying to improve team. INF depth with Moose, Escobar and Fletcher helps for now. Have no idea when Rendon or Neto will be back. Biggest need is now BP. Devenski seems to have hit the wall. Bridge yo closer very weak right now. I like recent moves by GM trying to keep halos in race.

Have Bachman step into Devenski’s role, pitching well so far with the necessary heat/slider combo for late innings work.  Webb can also provide some late innings work in the meantime.

Let Devenski work it out in the middle innings.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Now Nevin has to mix and match with new additions who can play multiple positions. It will be interesting to see how he manages on a game by game basis. 

Though the two new guys are long term MLB veterans they have to adjust to a new organization, team mates and their specific roles. But they have been through this before and should fit in smoothly. 

And Fletcher too has to adjust to how he will be used. The team is in a far different position now with an urgency to win than when he was a regular starter before. Maybe the pressure will help his focus and intensity.

I also think Rengifo's poor season is a factor behind some of these moves. If he was playing like last season he could have been trusted to fill in longer term at any of the infield spots. But moves had to be made while the team is still close enough in the standings. 

Trading prospects is always a risk. But most of the time the trades aren't dramatically one sided. And it will take some years to even judge. 

Perry is being pro active at this critical juncture because a lot is riding on this season. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yep, its likely as much to do with keeping the clubhouse believing they are all in as it does anything else.  They had back to back shut-outs after losing two players, they bring in help from outside.  You have to think the clubhouse respects that.

Perry has been winking at Ohtani excessively over the last 48 hours.

1 hour ago, Mark68 said:

I was never a big Moustakas guy. That being said, I like this. Perry is not fucking around. We need infield depth and he went out and got it. Essentially, Moose > Walsh right now (and I am a big fan of Walsh). Obviously, this helps keep the lineup deep.

Right.  Basically - Moose is an upgrade over Walsh (in his current form) and Padlo.  It is sending a message to the team that their GM is willing to quickly make moves to provide reinforcements and reach the playoffs.  Those moves are likely popular in the clubhouse and important for morale.

Now, instead of Rengifo, Padlo, and Velazquez being counted on as starters, they are bench players, optioned, and/or DFA'd.

sounds like Halos will have some infielders/. corners to trade. for. some pen depth help at. deadline time,.

Moustakas not a bad pick up -- what's his contract,? seems like only yesterday her left KC and signed a pret ty good. sized contract with San Diego?   Things did not go. well for him there and. he wound up in Colorado via Cincinnati and perhaps a stop in Milwaukee -- these guys move around so much hard to. keep track.

is Moose in the line. up today. --  game just started.

16 minutes ago, disarcina said:

sounds like Halos will have some infielders/. corners to trade. for. some pen depth help at. deadline time,.

Moustakas not a bad pick up -- what's his contract,? seems like only yesterday her left KC and signed a pret ty good. sized contract with San Diego?   Things did not go. well for him there and. he wound up in Colorado via Cincinnati and perhaps a stop in Milwaukee -- these guys move around so much hard to. keep track.

Not in the lineup today.

1 hour ago, Duren, Duren said:

Now Nevin has to mix and match with new additions who can play multiple positions. It will be interesting to see how he manages on a game by game basis. 

Though the two new guys are long term MLB veterans they have to adjust to a new organization, team mates and their specific roles. But they have been through this before and should fit in smoothly. 

And Fletcher too has to adjust to how he will be used. The team is in a far different position now with an urgency to win than when he was a regular starter before. Maybe the pressure will help his focus and intensity.

I also think Rengifo's poor season is a factor behind some of these moves. If he was playing like last season he could have been trusted to fill in longer term at any of the infield spots. But moves had to be made while the team is still close enough in the standings. 

Trading prospects is always a risk. But most of the time the trades aren't dramatically one sided. And it will take some years to even judge. 

Perry is being pro active at this critical juncture because a lot is riding on this season. 

Rengifo should be permanently barred from ever putting on a glove.

12 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I’ll never forget that dude who wouldn’t stop proposing the angels trade for him. That was what like 12 years ago now?

check my math on this one but didn't he want to trade vladdy for him? 

7 hours ago, disarcina said:

Moustakas signed that one year deal with. Milwaukee after KC did not re-sign him. He never played for San Diego. Drifted  to Cincinnati and then wound up  Colorado this year.  Moustakas played his high school ball in S. California (Camarillo) so it's sort of a homecoming - I thought Nevin missed a perfect opportunity to pinch hit Moustakas for Rengifo in the 9th inning today.