• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (6/12/23): Angels @ Rangers

mmc

29 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

The emotion was tangible. On defense, at the plate, on the mound and in the dug out. You have to think Nevin was a factor in this. Maybe some of the veterans too were talking before the series started. But even the young guys were battling and fought hard.

Unfortunately with MLB Extra Innings every game is with the home broadcast. But it is informative. You get to see how the rest of the home media in each city filter and spin things. And their observations about the Angels reflect various opinions, but usually more a general consensus than unique perspectives. Some broadcasters are more informed, others hardly at all. And just about all of them (Angels included) talk and socialize with their counterparts when going to a new city. 

There is a big difference between home team broadcasts and national network/streaming broadcasts. The national ones try to be more neutral and impartial. The home broadcasts are all intentionally geared for a specific market and filled with constant local anecdotes and references.

It's like that in other sports too, but not to the same extent because baseball is played just about every day and becomes something like an on going soap opera.

Yep agree, love how you sum up baseball as the soap opera of sports it is, spot on!  

1 hour ago, REDneck said:

Did he pitch tonight?

Yes sir, sure seems like he made all the right moves tonight.

Just a nitpick..but I was second guessing the pinch hit for Walsh with Renigfo in the 7th.(in hindsight of course)

I would of stayed with Walsh and the better defense in that situation.

Drury did do something errant in the next inning I believe, which could have been big!

Drury was definitely not the MVP.  He actually put us in a position to lose the game because of making contact with the ump. 

7 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Hell of a game! It would have been a really deflating loss.

Ohtani looked as emotional as I've ever seen him. Being in a race playing important games has him pumped. Nice to see.

Can Anderson ever avoid those five run starts? Lucky for him that the bullpen held and the offense came alive. 

Disinformation or pure biased spin? On Drury's ejection the Ranger broadcast never replayed the missed call with the strike zone box. Even though it was shown on the original pitch. They showed side views and the pitch without the box. And spun it as a pure strike. As well, they make little comments like saying "oh no" when Wallach homered. Very smug and condescending in general. 

I'd love to see them get smacked around and get brought down to earth this series.

Texas broadcasts have been the worst for 15-ish years now. 

7 hours ago, halonatic13 said:

Drury was definitely not the MVP.  He actually put us in a position to lose the game because of making contact with the ump. 

Does he make scoop Ward makes to end inn? Neto was also upset but he walked away. Drury was upset but maybe now Ward gets some reps at 1B. I like emotion he showed pitch was a ball.

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Does he make scoop Ward makes to end inn? Neto was also upset but he walked away. Drury was upset but maybe now Ward gets some reps at 1B. I like emotion he showed pitch was a ball.

More that he put in a situation where we no longer had any available position players because of that.  

On 6/12/2023 at 10:02 PM, fan_since79 said:

Not just an ordinary comeback, but eight unanswered runs and big clutch plays when the game was on the line in extras. Bullpen was great too. Even Loup was good! Pinch me, I'm dreaming.

Exactly.  This has been missing most of the year.  Look out if they continue to make clutch plays the rest of the year.

Edited by stormngt

11 hours ago, drpiranha said:

Reyes was sent down when Herget was brought up. Barria, hopefully can go 6. Webb and Herget can combine for 3 innings between them if Barria can only go 5. Estevez in the 9th for a save situation...Davidson if they are losing.

Ah yes, Ok. I missed that. 

Soriano should be available too. Davidson probably will get an inning tonight if they are up big or down big. Which is why he is essentially useless, without an option and should be cut. (Though he did throw well on Saturday). It's pretty well established that I think he is terrible, but it's more that he doesn't have options. They could send him down and bring up Rosenberg, Wantz, or Weiss, etc.

I would say they will try not to use Estevez, Bachman, and Devenski tonight. As all three threw 20+ pitches last night. Devenski threw 20+ on Sunday too. 

So Barria goes 6,  Herget / Davidson in for the 7th, Webb for the 8th and Soriano for the 9th.

Reference in Japanese: NHK Sports
Above page, partially using Google AI Bard, I translated freely Ohtani's post-game press conference on June 12 (June 13 Japan Standard Time).

Q: You've been at the plate well recently, how was tonight?
A: My batting eye was good tonight and I got good results. 

Q: How do you interpret the current situation of the team?
A: All of us are really motivated for the 4-game series on the road, so winning the first game will give us momentum.

Q: How did you feel when you hit the game-tying and go-ahead home runs?
A: Well, I was really happy because the situations I hit were good, as the first game is important. The relievers and the defense also did a great job, so I'm glad we were able to win.

Q: You are the leading American League in the first update for the 2023 All-Star Game voting.
A: I really appreciate it and I want to keep doing my best so that I can continue to be worthy of it.

Q: You've been hitting generally well in June every year, but what are the reasons for that?
A: I think there were good or bad situations in April and May. But basically, the points that need to be improved of my batting will get better as the season goes on, including getting used to plate appearance. It's just a coincidence that I'm having a good June, but I want to keep working hard to improve my batting even more to the important time before the All-Star Game.

Edited by FromJapan
Add twitter

1 hour ago, FromJapan said:

Reference in Japanese: NHK Sports
Above page, partially using Google AI Bard, I translated freely Ohtani's post-game press conference on June 12 (June 13 Japan Standard Time).

Q: You've been at the plate well recently, how was tonight?
A: My batting eye was good tonight and I got good results. 

Q: How do you interpret the current situation of the team?
A: All of us are really motivated for the 4-game series on the road, so winning the first game will give us momentum.

Q: How did you feel when you hit the game-tying and go-ahead home runs?
A: Well, I was really happy because the situations I hit were good, as the first game is important. The relievers and the defense also did a great job, so I'm glad we were able to win.

Q: You are the leading American League in the first update for the 2023 All-Star Game voting.
A: I really appreciate it and I want to keep doing my best so that I can continue to be worthy of it.

Q: You've been hitting generally well in June every year, but what are the reasons for that?
A: I think there were good or bad situations in April and May. But basically, the points that need to be improved of my batting will get better as the season goes on, including getting used to plate appearance. It's just a coincidence that I'm having a good June, but I want to keep working hard to improve my batting even more to the important time before the All-Star Game.

Thank you, @FromJapan. Really appreciate you translating these post game interviews from Japan media outlets and for all your other insight into the world of Shohei Ohtani. 

30 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

When Moore and Suarez return, I think will be the end of the line for Davidson and possible Loup.

Suarez also doesn't have an option, which is the same problem with Davidson. 

More likely, they demote someone with an option when Moore returns, like Herget. When Suarez returns, it's probably the end of Loup's time with the team if they plan to put Suarez in the Bullpen.

Davidson should just be waived and replaced with Rosenberg, Diaz, or someone from AA.