• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (5/13/23): Angels @ Guardians - Moniak leading off in season debut

mmc

18 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Unless you're saving Barria to make Suarez's next scheduled start...

There is Silseth to take that next start.

Even if Barria was needed for say a May 17 start, that’s 3 days off after throwing hopefully just 30 pitches today.

Barria hasn’t pitched since May 5.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Agreed with 5 outs left to go and up by 4, that it would have been better to bring in a well rested reliever to start with no one on base. At least in hindsight, it looks much better. Right now if its not devinski, moore, or estevez its nervous time. Was herget available? If herget could have been trusted where devinski was used this game, then we could have used devinski instead of tepera in the eighth. 

2 minutes ago, T-angel said:

Agreed with 5 outs left to go and up by 4, that it would have been better to bring in a well rested reliever to start with no one on base. At least in hindsight, it looks much better. Right now if its not devinski, moore, or estevez its nervous time. Was herget available? If herget could have been trusted where devinski was used this game, then we could have used devinski instead of tepera in the eighth. 

Wantz did have to make 10 pitches to that first batter in the 8th, although eventually retiring him.   Was at 26 pitches at that point.

16 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Hate for the fanbase to be dissapointed again....(all of us)

It's just is what it is now...its just not a good baseball team.

Sorry Ya'll.

Funny how you didn't say this after last night's game. 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

I didn't say anything yesterday because I was too happy with the win. However, I thought it was stupid to bring Moore in for the 7th. The 6th and 7th inning is when you should use Wantz and/or Devinski to bridge to Moore for the 8th and Estevez for the 9th. You want to be able to use Moore and Estevez 2 days in a row and you screw that up by bringing him so early.

The way I see the bullpen now... for 1 inning Estevez and Moore are successful 90-95% of the time. Wantz and Devinski are successful 70-80% of the time. Barria for several innings is sucessful 70-80% of the time and Davidson 60% of the time. Tepera, Loup and Herget are successful less than 50% of the time.

4 minutes ago, Lou said:

We won last night...even though we shouldn't have.

I just looked at it as a cosmic evening out of the games we lost where we should of won.

Yeah we didn't play good baseball last night...but we won and that's all I care about.

So WTF is your point...why would I rip the team after a W?

24 minutes ago, Lou said:

8 minutes ago, REDneck said:

We won last night...even though we shouldn't have.

I just looked at it as a cosmic evening out of the games we lost where we should of won.

Yeah we didn't play good baseball last night...but we won and that's all I care about.

So WTF is your point...why would I rip the team after a W?

To the point that I think you're trying to make.

I wasn't any more impressed with the team last night after a win versus the team that lost tonight.

But a win is a win!

I was listening to this game on the radio.  As soon as Tepara was put in I knew he'd implode.  How many times is Nevin going to put Tepara in high leverage spots before he learns his lesson?  I guess never at this point.  This loss is entirely on Nevin and his dumb bullpen decisions.

4 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Tough to manage a team when your 2 best players don't do jack sh*t

each guy does something about 1/3rd of the time and even then it's probably not something all that spectacular.   All managers are responsible for managing when your best two players don't do jack probably most of the time.  

You earn your stripes as a manager and front office by creating scenarios and situations and pre planning for when that exact thing you mentioned doesn't happen so you can still win.  

And probably much to your pleasure, this isn't all on Nevin.  He and the FO probably have collectively decided on this two inning thing and ultimately, it's the FO who puts the roster together.  You could almost see Nevin praying that Wantz would roll a double play ball with every pitch.  He so badly didn't want to bring in Tepera for the very reason that happened.  He absolutely knew what the outcome would be and he really had almost no other choice.  Maybe Herget?  Barria?  Davidson?  

I just don't get it.  Barria pitches 8 days ago.  If you're gonna commit to not putting him in when the game is close, even in the 6th inning, then you better have the juice to back that move up.  

Also, Davidson has pitched 7 innings in his last 5 appearances.  Can someone explain the point of his presence on the roster if that's how he's gonna be used?  

There shouldn't be three guys in the pen who fit the 'well, someone didn't do their job as well as I hoped so I guess you're my only choice' role in Davidson, Tepera and Herget. 

If you have guys that you can't trust with a four run lead, then don't put yourself in a spot where you have to bring them in when the go ahead run is now at the plate.  And frankly, you shouldn't have those guys on your roster if your team has playoff aspirations.    

and one final thing about my current frustration with the pen which probably sums up everything.  

They currently rank 2nd in FIP and 5th in era.  Great right?  

They rank 26th in clutch (stupid name but it's basically an isolated performance of high leverage) and 17 in overall WPA 

To me, this is just a pure indication that the wrong guys are being used in certain spots.  

Some of which is unavoidable.  A lot of which is not.