• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is the Rendon deal a bust?

Taylor

Rendon Bust Pole  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Rendon deal a bust?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet, but it will be soon.
    • This narrative is pointless.

56 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

why?  is it the 73 wRC+ he's rockin' right now?  Or that 2.8% walk rate?  I think I'd like to wait for a bit on that one and see what sort of options we have.  

haha, right. He is fine as a utility guy I suppose but has not been anything special for us yet; he's having his worst season since 2018. Hopefully, his power numbers start to improve soon.

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Off topic, but kind of sort of related.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy at all, but was really hoping we'd get Correa this past winter. I was looking for him to be what Renfroe is doing right now.

Seeing Rendon hurt again, I thought "would have been nice to have him right now" (Correa)

No it wouldn't. (At least so far). Would be crazy if he did end up with the Mets for that mega deal, with how bad everything else is going for them so far.

I never want any of those cheating asstros on our team...It's a shame fans don't boo him every time he steps up to the plate just because he changed the jersey he's wearing. Eff that ess. 

5 hours ago, Lou said:

Correa is batting .204 with an OPS of .677 

Good. 

5 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

why?  is it the 73 wRC+ he's rockin' right now?  Or that 2.8% walk rate?  I think I'd like to wait for a bit on that one and see what sort of options we have.  

Gotta be honest, I was so glad Urshela joined the Halos. Every time I watch a game he makes a great play at third *cough* *Rendon* or wherever he is as he's essentially become a utility player, and then he gets a knock or two. And it always seems to be clutch or starts something where runs score. Plus I feel like a little of that Stankee blood molded him pretty good.

Sure you can pull numbers that reflect badly, I get it, there's things he lacks. But he's hitting .280, looks like he's lost power but that's okay, there's plenty of other guys that do that. He's definitely been an asset for this team. 

Long post but my point is: Yes, Rendon is a bust. Guy is horseshit. I'm so sick of his constant pussy injury crap. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2023 at 4:33 PM, Taylor said:

He's 32, in the fourth year of his deal, having barely played a full season's worth of games in three years. He's only played in 4 out of 10 games this season and is injured again.

I think it's safe to say this deal is a bust.

He did play a full season in 2020. It's not his fault the season was shortened to 60 games. He played 52. 

Even Hamilton and Pujols provided short periods close to their old selves. Rendon as an Angel really has never come close to the type of consistency and production he had in Washington. And he's missed more time over his early contract seasons as well. 

And even when playing he just doesn't have anything special going for himself. Lost his power, not as much range or athleticism. At best maybe he will produce along the lines of Urshella if he ever plays regularly again. And Urshella's contract is priced fairly. 

Obviously Rendon's peak season was perfectly timed for free agency. Especially after winning the World Series. Arte jumped in once more, lured by recency bias. 

But the Angels basically are stuck with him. An untradable contract for an aging, fragile player. Ideally for all concerned he manages to play out a few healthy seasons and chips in with veteran leadership. Even with reduced expectations he could be rotated, take over some games as a DH if Ohtani is gone or give league average play at third. 

On 6/19/2023 at 1:43 PM, Jason said:

He's been a bust and still is. Oh well, time to move on. 

19 minutes ago, T.G. said:

What is the purpose of harping on this narrative over and over and over....?

It is what it is. 

Every FA signing is a risk. 

I hate the situation.  I don't hate the player.  Stuff happens.

Yep. Time to get over it