• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is the Rendon deal a bust?

Taylor

Rendon Bust Pole  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Rendon deal a bust?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet, but it will be soon.
    • This narrative is pointless.

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

He's 32, in the fourth year of his deal, having barely played a full season's worth of games in three years. He's only played in 4 out of 10 games this season and is injured again.

I think it's safe to say this deal is a bust.

Lets wait and see what happens this season.  A .300 ave with 30 homers and a WS appearance would heal alot of wounds.

Yes.

And I don't hate the guy. And acknowledge his talent.

But there's almost no way to salvage it at this point. If he has 4 years straight of his best years (he wont) it will still be about impossible to make up for his first 3.

He got hurt... not his fault. But to answer the question, it's been a horrible deal.

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yes.

And I don't hate the guy. And acknowledge his talent.

But there's almost no way to salvage it at this point. If he has 4 years straight of his best years (he wont) it will still be about impossible to make up for his first 3.

He got hurt... not his fault. But to answer the question, it's been a horrible deal.

His first year was great and the last two were train wrecks. We don’t remember the first year because it was 60 games. But he was second in the AL in OPS that year and 9th or 10th in MVP voting. Since then he’s been injured. 

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

His first year was great and the last two were train wrecks. We don’t remember the first year because it was 60 games. But he was second in the AL in OPS that year and 9th or 10th in MVP voting. Since then he’s been injured. 

9th in OPS, 10th in MVP voting. 

That said, I personally don't put too much stock in individual performances from 2020, given how truncated the season was.  

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Probably not worth the contract but hopefully going forward he'll be a stronger contributor than he has been the last 3 seasons.

Nope. We have to put a label on him today. Even if he's a huge contributor to a WS champion in the next couple seasons. If we don't bitch, piss, moan constantly we may lose our humanity

For the record, this is the written version of the jackoff emoji

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2023-04-12/anthony-rendon-angels-fan-altercation-washington-nationals

He’s 32 and hasn’t played more than 58 games since 2019, why has he not already put a recovery and diet plan in place? This guy really doesn’t care about playing at a high level anymore. He’s 100% a bust, IMO. 

7 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2023-04-12/anthony-rendon-angels-fan-altercation-washington-nationals

He’s 32 and hasn’t played more than 58 games since 2019, why has he not already put a recovery and diet plan in place? This guy really doesn’t care about playing at a high level anymore. He’s 100% a bust, IMO. 

So now we know a players psyche? You don't. 

I'm withholding judgement on giving up on Rendon until mid season. I think people are freaking out with his slow start, but that's all it really might be - a slow start. The injury bug has always been Rendon's thing, not flat out sucking. 

He's hitting .176, but despite that still sports a .360 OBP. The guy still has the good eye and discipline that he has been known for. Even as he slumps, he still maintains his ability to get on base. Once the hits start coming, and they will, we'll see some much better numbers. There's no way he will continue the season with a no doubles and no home runs pace, he is just getting his timing down right now. Of course, an injury could always derail the progression, but he's healthy now and that is enough for me to not throw in the towel on his production.

Sure because of the injuries, he hasn't lived up to the 38mil a year price tag, but most players seldom do, especially those signed after the age of 30. I don't think the question should be can he be worth 38mil, as it's already a sunk cost. The question for me at least is can he still produce and be useful, and i think he can and will.

51 minutes ago, OhtaniSan said:

I'm withholding judgement on giving up on Rendon until mid season. I think people are freaking out with his slow start, but that's all it really might be - a slow start.

He's hitting .176, but despite that still sports a .360 OBP. The guy still has the good eye and discipline that he has been known for. Even as he slumps, he still maintains his ability to get on base. Once the hits start coming, and they will, we'll see some much better numbers. There's no way he will continue the season with a no doubles and no home runs pace, he is just getting his timing down right now.

If he's getting his timing down now, why was his timing so good in Spring Training?

Not sure how long you've been watching him while he's been with us but it's the same old song and dance with these types of guys who "slow start, they'll pick it up..." and it just gets old.

I want him to play well, he could be a big help to our team, but I will be shocked if he his hitting .250 with 10 home runs and 25 doubles by July 1st.