• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The bullpen...

On 3/28/2023 at 4:40 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Here's some info I found regarding him & the interest that the Sox may have given their "Cuban Connection"...

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-white-sox/white-sox-eying-next-big-cuban-star/

There Could Be A Big Delay…

Unfortunately, there may be a problem signing Rodriguez in the near future. While there have been reports that the Dragons have not been able to contact him since defecting to the Dominican, he is still under contract. 

Since he is still under contract, the Dragons have to still allow him to become a free agent. For a player as valuable as Rodriguez, there is little incentive to do so for nothing in return. 

A source that covers the Nippon Professional league also detailed how it could get more complicated than that. They said how “granting him an immediate release will piss off the Cuban Baseball Federation.” Apparently “Chunichi and the CBF are in good graces, and hurting that relationship will damage Chunichi’s Cuban pipeline. They don’t want to do that.”

FIRST. GRANTING HIM AN IMMEDIATE RELEASE WILL PISS OFF THE CUBAN BASEBALL FEDERATION. CHUNICHI AND THE CBF ARE IN GOOD GRACES, AND HURTING THAT RELATIONSHIP WILL DAMAGE CHUNICHI'S CUBAN PIPELINE. THE DON'T WANT TO DO THAT.

(2/3)

— Gaijin Baseball/外国人野球 (@GaijinBaseball) March 28, 2023

They also said that if an MLB team does sign him, it would be taken to the Japanese courts, and they would likely rule in favor of the Japanese club and make the MLB team pay some extra compensation to make up for it.

SECOND, IF ANY MLB TEAM SIGNS HIM, IT'S GOING TO BE PLAYED OUT IN THE COURTS.

THE JAPANESE COURTS.

JAPANESE COURTS THAT WILL LIKELY FAVOR CHUNICHI AND DEMAND A LARGE SETTLEMENT FROM SAID MLB TEAM.

Y'ALL ARE ACTING LIKE SOMEONE CAN JUST MAGICALLY "BREAK CONTRACT". YOU CAN'T.

— Gaijin Baseball/外国人野球 (@GaijinBaseball) March 28, 2023

This could become a messy situation for everyone involved, but if it all gets resolved, I imagine the White Sox will be all over it, as he could become a valuable pitcher for them in the near future.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

How we feeling?

Wantz for two low leverage innings.  

Right now it should be Wantz/Quijada for high leverage in the 7th, Herget in the 8th and Estevez in the 9th.  

I'm gonna complain again if I see Loup and Tepera close and late.  Which Nevin is essentially obligated to as it would be utterly ridiculous to pull either of those guys from their role after one game.  But I guess the quicker it breaks, the sooner we can move on.   In the meantime, I'll rub the rabbits foot and hope for the best.  Maybe Loup had an epiphany after the last game.  He's got a chance to be better.  I've made my feelings clear about Tepera from the beginning.  I just don't think he's very good.  Hope I'm wrong.  

I'd also be fine with a string of 6 run or more leads heading into the 7th.  

• 3 months later...

Oddly, the complete opposite of what I hoped would happen has occurred.  

I figured it would take a month to get situated and it turns out their best month was April.  

Since then they have an FIP of about 5 and -0.5 WAR over a 3 month span.  Good for third worst in baseball over that time.  

5th best offense and 7th best SP during that period.  

The only thing even remotely holding this shit show of a bullpen together was the fact that our closer hadn't blown a save all year.  

By WAR, the Angels are now the 4th worst pen in the majors.  Surrounded by a bunch of 100 loss teams.  

I'll reiterate what I said at the beginning of the year.  There is nothing more frustrating than a team that's good everywhere but the pen.  

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Estevez over his last 11 games, covering 12 innings: 15 hits, 8 BB, 16 K, 12 runs (7 earned).  He's given up 1+ runs in 5 of those 11 games (some of it has definitely been bad luck, errors, etc.--but you can't pin all 23 baserunners (including 8 BB) in 12 innings on the defense and bad luck).

22 minutes ago, Revad said:

He’s tired.  We need a couple of blowouts when de doesn’t even stand up except to stretch.

Very small sample size but Lopez has looked pretty good.....might give him the closer job for a try.....not sure who your 7th and 8th inning guys would be, hopefully Moore settles in.....Estevez needs a break....

30 minutes ago, Revad said:

He’s tired.  We need a couple of blowouts when de doesn’t even stand up except to stretch.

There's zero reason for him to be tired.  His overall usage is right in line with where it has been in recent years. Prior to last night, his last game was Sunday.  Before that, the previous Tuesday. 

Edited by jsnpritchett

It did look last night, to me at least, Estevez had to amp himself up to get his fastball velocity in the upper 90's. That probably attributed to his lack of fastball command. If that was the case I would have preferred he just dial it back a bit and concentrate on hitting spots and mixing in his breaking ball more. Even if his fastball would be at 93-95, if it could be commanded better, I can't help to think the outcome would have been different.

I’m just glad the announcers can stop talking about Estevez being perfect in save situations. Dude gives me heartburn every time he pitches and the announcers go gaga cause he didn’t have a blown save yet. It was very annoying. Dude’s FIP is meh but his WHIP is unacceptable for a late innings guy in my book. ERA+ says he’s better than my eye does. He’s been ok. They make him out to be 2002 Percy sometimes. 

9 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

There's zero reason for him to be tired.  His overall usage is right in line with where it has been in recent years. Prior to last night, his last game was Sunday.  Before that, the previous Tuesday. 

Maybe a dead arm? He hasn’t been the same.