• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Some Military Stuff

Brandon

Been watching a ton of videos on this dude the past two years. Dude has 33 confirmed kills, but way more. He also was the one (or his Army Ranger team rather) that saved the real guy that the Mark Wahlberg movie was based off. He resonates with me because he's also colorblind but got through unlike me at  MEPS.

If you want some real behind the scenes stuff, watch this dudes videos if you are interested.

Feel free to post other military based stories, info, or knowledge.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

My daughter will likely be going through MEPS sometime this year. I've been trying to learn as much about the process and enlistment into the Air Force. 

I can share my experience if you'd like and know there are vets here that can, too. Taylor will probably go out of his way to select a gay like emoji, but that's his boring troll life. Guy never considered military duty, but will somehow have an opinion on it.....Lifetime 2.0

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Hathcock is arguably the best sniper we ever had. Total badass 

He's dope, I watched that a while back or something similar. I was always into this dude and his story. There are some wild ones how he single handidly crushed Russian forces. Finland's finest and even had his face shot. I think he has over 500 kills.

simo-hyh-5.jpg

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I can share my experience if you'd like and know there are vets here that can, too. Taylor will probably go out of his way to select a gay like emoji, but that's his boring troll life. Guy never considered military duty, but will somehow have an opinion on it.....Lifetime 2.0

The U.S. hasn't been involved in a necessary conflict since WWII. Our soldiers are heroes, but they're also victims of the military industrial complex who get sent to pointless conflicts, and if they're lucky enough to survive, return home with PTSD and other issues.

Anyone who counts their kills is a psychopath. This isn't COD. This is real life. And taking human life isn't something to brag about. 

14 minutes ago, Taylor said:

The U.S. hasn't been involved in a necessary conflict since WWII. Our soldiers are heroes, but they're also victims of the military industrial complex who get sent to pointless conflicts, and if they're lucky enough to survive, return home with PTSD and other issues.

Anyone who counts their kills is a psychopath. This isn't COD. This is real life. And taking human life isn't something to brag about. 

One of the primary functions of a sniper is to remove threats to American forces so more of the good guys return alive. There is some truth with the ruling class starting wars in both parties. Also true we  should have finished the job post WW2. Had we finished off the Muslims and Marxist then , the world would be a safer place today. 

1 hour ago, Kotchman said:

One of the primary functions of a sniper is to remove threats to American forces so more of the good guys return alive. There is some truth with the ruling class starting wars in both parties. Also true we  should have finished the job post WW2. Had we finished off the Muslims and Marxist then , the world would be a safer place today. 

You should check out the Blowback Podcast.

https://blowback.show/

7 hours ago, Jason said:

My daughter will likely be going through MEPS sometime this year. I've been trying to learn as much about the process and enlistment into the Air Force. 

This has stuck with me today and I'll throw out my experience. If it helps or is informative, great. If it doesn't, well I have some time to kill before bed.

It's pretty easy and straight forward.

I was in a weird place just out of high school and not sure of my life direction. I also knew I needed discipline and structure. I have all branches of the military in my family, but the reason I was born in San Diego was because my father was in the Navy and stationed there, so the Navy seemed like the first choice.

One thing to know and looking back is the recruiters job is to sell me, you, your daughter, everyone on that branch and to get them to enlist. But I called the recruiters office that I knew in Corona, told him what I wanted to do and accomplish. He took some basic info and the start of the intake process. I then went down and signed forms and did a pee drug test.

This was over 20 years ago, but I remember it as a two day process. I think I've mentioned it before because I actually watched one of our 2002 WS games in the motel with some random dude from Texas or Tennessee that was in town to enlist.

The recruiter drove me down to San Diego in the Old Town area. I think he was trying to fill me in on the process, but all I remember is how he told me how many speeding tickets he got on the 15 freeway. They put all of us up in the same motel there in Old Town. You kind of just hangout in your room and they tell you dinner is a X time and it's kind of basic chow hall type thing. Then it's back to the room and watching tv with someone else enlisting.

Breakfast is early and one of those big travel type of motor coaches comes to get everyone around 4:30am.

As soon as you get there it's game on. They don't treat you like shit, but they start right away with barking orders and you following rules as far as where to line up, where to go, etc. If you know what you're signing up for, it's mild and not a big deal. But they crack the whip and start right away.....this was also a good wake up call since it's like 5am.

Day 1 was pretty much all day and was pure aptitude (ASVAB) and physical testing........from audio testing to color blindness (one of the main issues why I never went through) to stripping you down to your underwear and having you in a room of people doing agility and basic physical stuff from standing on one leg to push ups.......just making sure you are physically fit to enlist. But the day is mainly testing and seeing where you are at to see potential jobs within the military. This was also all potential branch candidates bunched together....Navy, Air Force, etc.

Then you load on the bus back to the motel and same as above......eat, hang out, sleep, and back on the bus in the early am to go back to MEPS.

Day 2 is actual enlistment and job placement. You already know your ASVAB score from the day before and your recruiter is here with you to go over job opportunities, what's available, and they will go over any unique things.....for instance, there was a 10k signing bonus for those that signed up to be a chef on submarines. Day 2 was pretty much like being at the DMV all day. You put in for a job request then it's just waiting until they approve or deny you.....this is where I got notified that my colorblindness disqualified me from the jobs I wanted. My situation was a little different as I was literally the last person to leave for the day due to my disqualifications. I got a 92 on the ASVAB, so I was eligible for everything but nuclear, according to my recruiter. So it was a full day of applying for various NSA, DoD, being a doctor, firefighter, and I think the last job I applied for was a dentist.

Once you accept a job you meet with a commander there at MEPS. It feels like a job interview, but really he is there to ask questions and make sure you know what you're signing up for and the commitment involved. For me, again, my situation was different. I was pending that dentist job but they were closing up shop for the day, so they had me sit with him and we chatted....basic things like, "Why do you want to be in the military?" I told him I wanted to learn a specific trade that I could carry over into civilian life when my time was up. He could tell I had good motivations and was intelligent, but I was pending and didn't have a job yet. In my case, he told me to move forward, but that if I didn't get the final dental job that I would get discharged (there is a specific name for it, but it's basically like nothing ever happened and is on record). They didn't want me to leave without a job, but I also told them I wasn't going to take some bullshit job that wasn't up to my aptitude and that final commander understood and agreed.

After the final interview/conversation they take you into a room where you are sworn in. It was 2002, so it was just a video of George W. Bush thanking you for your entry into the United States military and kind of gave a little speech....all on some recorded VHS tape. You raise your hand, swear in, and then leave with your recruiter who takes you home. Then you get a call in a day or two from someone else telling you that a van is on the way to pick you up and take you to basic training.......for the Navy and my job it was going to be a base/station in Michigan.

That's basically it. If your daughter has basic intelligence and basic motor skills, she will be fine and have an option of jobs available to her. I know you can change jobs as the video I posted above the guy talks about going from the Navy to the Army Rangers. My sister was also a Marine that changed jobs within the Marines while enlisted.

Keep us posted if does join. I'm curious to see what, if anything, has changed in 20 years. 

Definitely take advantage of VA benefits like tuition. I looked forward to that and know my sister did that for free schooling/education.

Speaking of which, I wanted to go Navy because of the travel as my family members have cool stories of Japan, etc. 

I remember the Navy recruiter gave the canned speech to entice people. He was kind of bragging about there being "beer ports" at every dock and how dudes would drink. Mind you, I was 20 and not even drinking age at the time. My recruiter was pretty terrible.

It’s changed a lot. In the 80’s we ran wild across the Asian continent. Not long after I arrived in Okinawa they had a massive shipment of Miller Lite and you could buy a case for $3.50. I made 3 or 4 deployments a year that were essentially 2 week parties. I could tell stories that no one who wasn’t there would even believe. They’re now super strict with the drinking age and running with the bar girls is considered promotion of human trafficking. 

10 hours ago, arch stanton said:

My only advice for anyone enlisting is to start taking classes as soon as they’ll allow it. Don’t finish that first 4 years without at least a 2 year degree. Volunteer for every trip they offer. Go and see everything possible and save some money. At least 10% should go to savings 

Her plan is to do just that. She is still going to apply for Academy/ROTC programs while she is enlisted too. Hell, she's already taken several college courses the past two years in high school. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Her plan is to do just that. She is still going to apply for Academy/ROTC programs while she is enlisted too. Hell, she's already taken several college courses the past two years in high school. 

It’s great that she has a plan but it’s easy for someone that age to get sidetracked. Sadly, my greatest skill is my world class procrastination ability 

11 hours ago, Brandon said:

This has stuck with me today and I'll throw out my experience. If it helps or is informative, great. If it doesn't, well I have some time to kill before bed.

It's pretty easy and straight forward.

I was in a weird place just out of high school and not sure of my life direction. I also knew I needed discipline and structure. I have all branches of the military in my family, but the reason I was born in San Diego was because my father was in the Navy and stationed there, so the Navy seemed like the first choice.

One thing to know and looking back is the recruiters job is to sell me, you, your daughter, everyone on that branch and to get them to enlist. But I called the recruiters office that I knew in Corona, told him what I wanted to do and accomplish. He took some basic info and the start of the intake process. I then went down and signed forms and did a pee drug test.

This was over 20 years ago, but I remember it as a two day process. I think I've mentioned it before because I actually watched one of our 2002 WS games in the motel with some random dude from Texas or Tennessee that was in town to enlist.

The recruiter drove me down to San Diego in the Old Town area. I think he was trying to fill me in on the process, but all I remember is how he told me how many speeding tickets he got on the 15 freeway. They put all of us up in the same motel there in Old Town. You kind of just hangout in your room and they tell you dinner is a X time and it's kind of basic chow hall type thing. Then it's back to the room and watching tv with someone else enlisting.

Breakfast is early and one of those big travel type of motor coaches comes to get everyone around 4:30am.

As soon as you get there it's game on. They don't treat you like shit, but they start right away with barking orders and you following rules as far as where to line up, where to go, etc. If you know what you're signing up for, it's mild and not a big deal. But they crack the whip and start right away.....this was also a good wake up call since it's like 5am.

Day 1 was pretty much all day and was pure aptitude (ASVAB) and physical testing........from audio testing to color blindness (one of the main issues why I never went through) to stripping you down to your underwear and having you in a room of people doing agility and basic physical stuff from standing on one leg to push ups.......just making sure you are physically fit to enlist. But the day is mainly testing and seeing where you are at to see potential jobs within the military. This was also all potential branch candidates bunched together....Navy, Air Force, etc.

Then you load on the bus back to the motel and same as above......eat, hang out, sleep, and back on the bus in the early am to go back to MEPS.

Day 2 is actual enlistment and job placement. You already know your ASVAB score from the day before and your recruiter is here with you to go over job opportunities, what's available, and they will go over any unique things.....for instance, there was a 10k signing bonus for those that signed up to be a chef on submarines. Day 2 was pretty much like being at the DMV all day. You put in for a job request then it's just waiting until they approve or deny you.....this is where I got notified that my colorblindness disqualified me from the jobs I wanted. My situation was a little different as I was literally the last person to leave for the day due to my disqualifications. I got a 92 on the ASVAB, so I was eligible for everything but nuclear, according to my recruiter. So it was a full day of applying for various NSA, DoD, being a doctor, firefighter, and I think the last job I applied for was a dentist.

Once you accept a job you meet with a commander there at MEPS. It feels like a job interview, but really he is there to ask questions and make sure you know what you're signing up for and the commitment involved. For me, again, my situation was different. I was pending that dentist job but they were closing up shop for the day, so they had me sit with him and we chatted....basic things like, "Why do you want to be in the military?" I told him I wanted to learn a specific trade that I could carry over into civilian life when my time was up. He could tell I had good motivations and was intelligent, but I was pending and didn't have a job yet. In my case, he told me to move forward, but that if I didn't get the final dental job that I would get discharged (there is a specific name for it, but it's basically like nothing ever happened and is on record). They didn't want me to leave without a job, but I also told them I wasn't going to take some bullshit job that wasn't up to my aptitude and that final commander understood and agreed.

After the final interview/conversation they take you into a room where you are sworn in. It was 2002, so it was just a video of George W. Bush thanking you for your entry into the United States military and kind of gave a little speech....all on some recorded VHS tape. You raise your hand, swear in, and then leave with your recruiter who takes you home. Then you get a call in a day or two from someone else telling you that a van is on the way to pick you up and take you to basic training.......for the Navy and my job it was going to be a base/station in Michigan.

That's basically it. If your daughter has basic intelligence and basic motor skills, she will be fine and have an option of jobs available to her. I know you can change jobs as the video I posted above the guy talks about going from the Navy to the Army Rangers. My sister was also a Marine that changed jobs within the Marines while enlisted. By the way, 92 is a really good ASVAB score

Keep us posted if does join. I'm curious to see what, if anything, has changed in 20 years. 

My daughter is a Jr ROTC nerd. She likes that structured environment so that stuff will not be a big deal for her. She just signed up for track and field at school to help get her into better shape. She has thoroughly researched this and developed her plan. Initially she was going to go college and then try and get into OTS but, apparently that is a difficult way to go to become and officer. She also didn't want her or myself to be in debt for school when the Air Force will pay for it. 

Edited by Jason

7 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

It’s great that she has a plan but it’s easy for someone that age to get sidetracked. Sadly, my greatest skill is my world class procrastination ability 

I look back when I was her age and she and I couldn't be more different. I was lazy, hated school and had very few goals for my life and also loved procrastinating (still do). She is way more ambitious than I ever was. 

Edited by Jason

8 minutes ago, Tank said:

for those of us without a military background, what is MEPS? what all does it involve?

Military Entrance Processing Station

Think of it as the intake base or station where you enroll into the military. I thought I summed it up well above, as far as what it involves.

They mainly test and assess your aptitude and abilities to try and match you up with a job within the military that matches your skillset or aptitude level. They also test basic fitness levels and if you have any ailments or injuries that might prevent you from enlisting and doing a specific job. They also do vision and hearing tests.

Basically it's like a big full blown physical with an entrance exam to see if you would be a good fit for the military and also if you would be qualified for whatever job you want within the military.

It's pretty much the entrance protocol to joining the military. Make sure you are healthy, job placement, and swearing in to start.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

I look back when I was her age and she and I couldn't be more different. I was lazy, hated school and had very few goals for my life and also loved procrastinating (still do). She is way more ambitious than I ever was. 

Then have her do whatever she can to get into OTS. Get the attention of your congressman, state representative or Governor to write a recommendation. At the very least she walks out of training as a lieutenant instead of an Airman. 

But if she goes in GI and allow her MEPS score determine her career path she may never rise above NCO. Those career choices are part of the contract but the fine print says they can move you to an area of need. So instead of Satellite communications, she's in the motor pool doing logistics and never moving above Sargent. 

Long time ago (1979) but I wanted to enlist in the Air Force and the ASVAB was 4 categories: Admin, General, Electrical, Mechanical. I scored highest in Electrical and lowest in Admin. That was fine, I wanted to work on airplanes.

Pretty sure I took the ASVAB on one day and agreed to become an avionics type, then on another day I went back for physical exam and the rest.

I didn't have a "guaranteed job" as some may have back then but I was supposed to be in a certain career field and that worked out. Next thing I knew I was in Basic Training.

Basic Training in the Air Force was a cakewalk but even so some guys washed out. Six weeks at Lackland AFB, San Antonio.

Then it was on to Lowry AFB in Denver CO. That base is gone now I think. There I learned fundamental electronics, then trained specifically on the system I would be working on. In those days there was a squadron of airplanes and a dedicated maintenance team comprised of specialists for various aircraft systems, mechanics who would do general maintenance, refuel, etc. and weapons specialists who would load/unload bombs, ammunition and maintain the machine gun, bomb racks, missile stations etc.

So I was a specialist on the Weapons Control System (WCS) on the F-4 Phantom II. The WCS consisted of the tactical radar, radar missile stations, and optical sight system.

When I enlisted I had 3 semesters completed at Cal State Northridge so they gave me an E-2 rank. My intention was to complete my degree and get a commission while in the service but it didn't work out. That was kind of a pipe dream that the recruiter said was possible. I didn't have a nice cushy Admin job I worked swing shift on the flight line. I took a couple of classes. Back then they had "Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)." They didn't have GI bill where they would pay for your education after you leave the service. They had something else where you contributed from each paycheck to a fund and the Air Force would match the amount with $2 for every $1 you put in. Then you could use that money to pay for education after you leave the service. If you maxed it out you could put in $2700 and get back $8100, something like that. That might have paid for tuition in 1984 but anyway I didn't have a lot of spare cash to contribute so I didn't take advantage of that program.

In any case I worked on airplanes for a few years and drank a lot. Mostly I worked 8 hour shifts but occasionally we would have exercises and everyone works 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for however long the exercise lasts. I was married so my wife and I had nice base housing which was a two-bedroom duplex. Most single people had to live in a dorm, two to a room until you achieve E-5 rank and then you would get a dorm room to yourself (I think that's right).

Sometimes the squadron would deploy for various reasons and the maintenance team would deploy as well. Some of these deployments were a lot of fun. One such annual deployment was Red Flag which is at Nellis AFB near Las Vegas. That was always a good time. Some others were at Cocoa Beach and Panama City. Once we had a combat readiness exercise at a shitty little airfield in Gulfport MS. So that was 12-hour shifts, chemical warfare gear, etc. But we still managed to run down to New Orleans one night (I forget whose car it was), party all night, get back to base and grab a couple hours of sleep before the next 12-hour shift started. Ah, to be 21 again.

It was easy to find a job, after I got out. I had a secret clearance in the military and the aerospace companies love that. I worked at Northrop for a few years and then started going to school at night and got my degrees.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Long time ago (1979) but I wanted to enlist in the Air Force and the ASVAB was 4 categories: Admin, General, Electrical, Mechanical. I scored highest in Electrical and lowest in Admin. That was fine, I wanted to work on airplanes.

Pretty sure I took the ASVAB on one day and agreed to become an avionics type, then on another day I went back for physical exam and the rest.

I didn't have a "guaranteed job" as some may have back then but I was supposed to be in a certain career field and that worked out. Next thing I knew I was in Basic Training.

Basic Training in the Air Force was a cakewalk but even so some guys washed out. Six weeks at Lackland AFB, San Antonio.

Then it was on to Lowry AFB in Denver CO. That base is gone now I think. There I learned fundamental electronics, then trained specifically on the system I would be working on. In those days there was a squadron of airplanes and a dedicated maintenance team comprised of specialists for various aircraft systems, mechanics who would do general maintenance, refuel, etc. and weapons specialists who would load/unload bombs, ammunition and maintain the machine gun, bomb racks, missile stations etc.

So I was a specialist on the Weapons Control System (WCS) on the F-4 Phantom II. The WCS consisted of the tactical radar, radar missile stations, and optical sight system.

When I enlisted I had 3 semesters completed at Cal State Northridge so they gave me an E-2 rank. My intention was to complete my degree and get a commission while in the service but it didn't work out. That was kind of a pipe dream that the recruiter said was possible. I didn't have a nice cushy Admin job I worked swing shift on the flight line. I took a couple of classes. Back then they had "Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)." They didn't have GI bill where they would pay for your education after you leave the service. They had something else where you contributed from each paycheck to a fund and the Air Force would match the amount with $2 for every $1 you put in. Then you could use that money to pay for education after you leave the service. If you maxed it out you could put in $2700 and get back $8100, something like that. That might have paid for tuition in 1984 but anyway I didn't have a lot of spare cash to contribute so I didn't take advantage of that program.

In any case I worked on airplanes for a few years and drank a lot. Mostly I worked 8 hour shifts but occasionally we would have exercises and everyone works 12 hour shifts 7 days a week for however long the exercise lasts. I was married so my wife and I had nice base housing which was a two-bedroom duplex. Most single people had to live in a dorm, two to a room until you achieve E-5 rank and then you would get a dorm room to yourself (I think that's right).

Sometimes the squadron would deploy for various reasons and the maintenance team would deploy as well. Some of these deployments were a lot of fun. One such annual deployment was Red Flag which is at Nellis AFB near Las Vegas. That was always a good time. Some others were at Cocoa Beach and Panama City. Once we had a combat readiness exercise at a shitty little airfield in Gulfport MS. So that was 12-hour shifts, chemical warfare gear, etc. But we still managed to run down to New Orleans one night (I forget whose car it was), party all night, get back to base and grab a couple hours of sleep before the next 12-hour shift started. Ah, to be 21 again.

It was easy to find a job, after I got out. I had a secret clearance in the military and the aerospace companies love that. I worked at Northrop for a few years and then started going to school at night and got my degrees.

I’m not sure how it worked for my dad but he was drafted right after he finished college so he immediately went in as an officer so no OTS application necessary. When it came time for their assignment, they picked it out of a hat. No need for aptitude tests during wartime I guess. He picked electronic warfare officer on the B-52. He said the Air Force paid for his master’s degree when he got out. I assumed it was the GI Bill but that would have been around ‘77. My uncle was an F-105 pilot and has some cool stories. My best friend growing up, his father was a F-4 pilot and he became a pilot too. He was certified to fly almost everything they had. When he retired as a Lt. Col he was flying the U-2. He retires with a full pension at 45 and his retirement job is a pilot for American Airlines. Pretty sweet 

Edited by Jason

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Funny now there are tools available to help you study for the ASVAB. Back when I took it you just took it.

Same. I didn't even now I was going to take a test. Same with the SAT, I just thought people were supposed to go to college after high school and got a 1291. While that's not genius impressive level, for both I literally walked in with a number 2 pencil and sat down.....no studying or anything.

I actually have imposter syndrome with the scores I got on the ASVAB, SAT, and the pre-med entry exam. All tests I just walked in and didn't study or know I was going to be tested, they just said, "Here you go, take this test."