• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout, Ohtani, and... Machado?

VladdyforHOF

Padres, Manny Machado Finalizing Extension

The Padres star third baseman was planning to opt out of his contract after his year but will instead stick around, as he and the club are reportedly finalizing a new 11-year, $350MM contract. It will begin this year, running through 2033 campaign, which will be Machado’s age-40 season.  He gets full no-trade protection and the deal does not contain any opt-outs. 

Nothing on Cot's yet.  So don't know if this is evenly spread, front loaded or back loaded.  The last years will be brutal.

On 2/17/2023 at 11:42 AM, Blarg said:

Traded from a team that is likely to be in the playoffs and possibly division winner? Odd even for Machado. It's probably an open invitation for the Padres to renegotiate his contract now.

On 2/22/2023 at 9:46 AM, TempeAngel said:

This could also be nothing more than Machado getting it out there to help negotiate an extension with the Padres.

You even quoted yourself like you were the first to think of this.

You weren't. 

So now Manny Machado is extended through his league age 40 season. He'll wear a Padres cap in Cooperstown. Great.

I think it's a great business decision also.

Who knows what $34 M looks like in 2033. I mean, ten years from now he will be making $4 M less than Rendon is making this year.

I think Machado will age well and have sustained productivity throughout his 30's.. 

• Chuck locked this topic