• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, Jimmy Z said:

What came first?... the chicken or the egg?

Let our "RANKINGS" go down if it means Neto, O'Hoppe, Silseth, Soriano, Bachman and Joyce are no longer considering prospects because they've move up to the big leagues AND ARE CONTRIBUTING to the big league club.

And we didn't even mention Canning and Detmiers who were in the minors not to long ago as well.

Of course. "Rankings" don't matter, though they reflect (if vaguely accurate) the depth of talent in an organization.

I was merely pointing out that with recent graduations, the farm system is barren. Before it was shallow/sparse, now it is rather bleak.

45 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Of course. "Rankings" don't matter, though they reflect (if vaguely accurate) the depth of talent in an organization.

I was merely pointing out that with recent graduations, the farm system is barren. Before it was shallow/sparse, now it is rather bleak.

I know dude... I was agreeing with you

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

With Neto and O'Hoppe graduated, maybe Silseth and Bachman too, and Quero and Bush gone, is this the worst the farm has ever been?

The farm system that Keith Law dubbed the “worst I’ve ever seen” is probably the worst.

The top 10 was: Jahmai Jones, Victor Alcantara, Taylor Ward, Nate Smith, Kaleb Cowart, Julio Garcia, Kyle Kubitza, Jake Jewell, David Fletcher, and Greg Mahle.

5 hours ago, Trendon said:

The farm system that Keith Law dubbed the “worst I’ve ever seen” is probably the worst.

The top 10 was: Jahmai Jones, Victor Alcantara, Taylor Ward, Nate Smith, Kaleb Cowart, Julio Garcia, Kyle Kubitza, Jake Jewell, David Fletcher, and Greg Mahle.

At that time, weren’t we losing 1st round picks for signing guys like Pujols and Hamilton? 

I'm not terribly concerned about farm rankings.  The Braves have seemingly been near the bottom for the last few years, but that hasn't stopped them from pumping out amazing young talent.

Rankings don't mean much.  Moniak came over with little fanfare and was considered a flamed out prospect, and he's suddenly our second best hitter (albeit SSS).  As long as the FO and player devo department can continue to find ways to generate MLB players as they have so far, that should be good enough.

Angels draft and development strategy

Step 1: Draft a mid major collegiate prospect in the first round. 

Step 2: Draft an overlooked big program college prospect in the third round. 

Step 3: Draft one prep player in the first 11 rounds and give him an overslot bonus.

Step 4: Promote everyone to AA immediately. 

Step 5: Promote everyone to MLB by the following May.

Step 6: Repeat

Edited by Second Base

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Step 3: Draft one prep player in the first 11 rounds and give him an overslot bonus.

Well, it seems to be working so far. I guess it helps to be confident in your eval abilities.

20 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Well, that's certainly a way for a relatively new GM to overhaul the organization quickly, eh?  lol.

On 7/27/2023 at 11:01 AM, Angelsjunky said:

Other first round pick in Ward, Thais plus that OF few years back.

34 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Well, it seems to be working so far. I guess it helps to be confident in your eval abilities.

Yes and no. Yes in that the Angels are being infused with talent at a much higher rate than other organizations that also have "bare cupboards" as the Angels do. No in that when you use this strategy, you'll lack the upside other organizations have on the farm. 

Zach Neto is the exception. He came from a mid major but his proximity to the majors and upside should've made him an elite talent and he should've gone higher than he did. Good on Perry. 

Then again, Bachman has had the opposite journey. Hopefully Schanuel follows Neto.

Normally don't care about stuff like this, but I thought this was funny considering the level of bias there is toward certain prospects and farm systems.  

This was one of the headlines on milb.com

"The Yankees' Jasson Domínguez, who's broken out in July after a sluggish start, leads Double-A Somerset against the visiting Bowie Baysox in the MiLB Free Game of the Day."

he's got a .746 ops in july with a .379 BABIP and has a .714 ops overall.  Granted he's 20 in AA and that plays out to league avg.   But come on.  

4 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Normally don't care about stuff like this, but I thought this was funny considering the level of bias there is toward certain prospects and farm systems.  

"The Yankees' Jasson Domínguez, who's broken out in July after a sluggish start, leads Double-A Somerset against the visiting Bowie Baysox in the MiLB Free Game of the Day."

he's got a .746 ops in july with a .379 BABIP and has a .714 ops overall.  Granted he's 20 in AA and that plays out to league avg.   But come on.  

Tired of the Skanks bias everywhere.

Eppler signed Ohtani and drafted Detmers, but otherwise was a mediocre GM.  The Mets found that out real fast.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I think it was Buck Showalter that said, "Never sign an 18 year old with a beard." Alluding to the concept that he may be done developing. I think the same could be said about Dominguez, who drew comps to Trout because of his physique at age 17. He really hasn't developed much since his signing either.

Then you look at a kid like Jackson Holliday, who hadn't even shaved yet when he was drafted, and see what he's doing now. 

I remember talking to a connection about Jose Soriano. Apparently when the Angels signed him, he was like 5'9 150 lbs and throwing in the mid 80's. At 17 he was 6'0 and 160 and in the low 90's. At 19 he was 6'3 and touching 97 on occasion and there was some wondering how much more he'd grow. I think he's listed at 220 lbs now and because of the transition to relief, he's sitting in the mid or upper 90's. 

A very inexact science signing 16 year olds. Being built like Dominguez was at 16, could either be really exciting or a cautionary tale. Looking at Kevin Maitan at 14, you might've thought he was the next A-Rod. 

Edited by Second Base