• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Eovaldi and Kluber

mmc

19 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Surprised they aren’t pursuing Cueto?

19 hours ago, Warfarin said:

They could be and we just don't know. 

This is why I don’t report this stuff. It creates the illusion that you know more than you do. There are guys I know the Angels have “discussed” but if I don’t know how serious it was, then there’s no point. Teams discuss everyone. Even in the case of making an offer, that can be misleading (as in Contreras). 

As far as I’m concerned, until there is an agreement, there is nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is why I don’t report this stuff. It creates the illusion that you know more than you do. There are guys I know the Angels have “discussed” but if I don’t know how serious it was, then there’s no point. Teams discuss everyone. Even in the case of making an offer, that can be misleading (as in Contreras). 

This is why I am generally a fan of how Passan reports things.  He only Tweets when the deal is essentially complete.  He doesn't spray tons of rumors around.  Appreciate those, like yourself, that avoid doing that.

31 minutes ago, Revad said:

Would you do two years $20 million for Kluber or two years $16 million for Cueto?  I suspect that’s what it will take.

I would do 2/$20M for Kluber, but wouldn’t do 2/$16M for Cueto.

But I think both take a one year deal with a higher AAV.

Like 1/$14M for Kluber and 1/$12M for Cueto.

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I would do 2/$20M for Kluber, but wouldn’t do 2/$16M for Cueto.

But I think both take a one year deal with a higher AAV.

Like 1/$14M for Kluber and 1/$12M for Cueto.

If the FO wants to stay below the LT limit, something creative that can be done is to give Kluber something like a 2/16 contract, with an opt out after year 1.  Have his year one salary be 12mil, and offer him a 1mil opt-out such that he is guaranteed to take home 13mil if he opts out after the first year.  This way, our luxury tax AAV is only 8mil, and Kluber is guaranteed to take home 13mil, and he will likely opt out as long as he can beat a 1/3mil deal next year.

I have seen FO's used these kinds of tricks, and I think it's pretty nifty from an accounting perspective.

11 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Kluber could turn into a pumpkin any time with his velo, age and that he doesn't really miss bats much but my guess is that it would be a 1yr deal.  I can probably live with that.  

Perhaps, but he’s actually a pitcher.

A lot of pitchers with lesser stuff get labeled as a pitcher, rather than a thrower, but Kluber was a pitcher even when he was younger and had good velocity.

I think he’s crafty enough to figure it out with declining velo.

Just now, Warfarin said:

If the FO wants to stay below the LT limit, something creative that can be done is to give Kluber something like a 2/16 contract, with an opt out after year 1.  Have his year one salary be 12mil, and offer him a 1mil opt-out such that he is guaranteed to take him 13mil if he opts out after the first year.  This way, our luxury tax AAV is only 8mil, and Kluber is guaranteed to take him 13mil, and he will likely opt out as long as he can beat a 1/3mil deal next year.

I have seen FO's used these kinds of tricks, and I think it's pretty nifty from an accounting perspective.

It’s a good idea, but the Angels notably haven’t really done any crafty deals to lower their luxury tax hit this offseason.

That could be taken two ways. They either aren’t concerned about going over the luxury tax or they know they won’t go over it.

I think it’s the former, but history says it’s the latter.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

It’s a good idea, but the Angels notably haven’t really done any crafty deals to lower their luxury tax hit this offseason.

That could be taken two ways. They either aren’t concerned about going over the luxury tax or they know they won’t go over it.

Right, not really sure.  We'll see.  But if the luxury tax does matter, and they want to continue to add talent, that would be a creative accounting method to both add talent while also staying below the LT limit.  Just another tool in the arsenal.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

It could also be something they’d do after acquiring a player that puts them over the threshold. They may want Fletcher around but would trade him and pick up a portion of his contract to stay under the tax.  

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Right, not really sure.  We'll see.  But if the luxury tax does matter, and they want to continue to add talent, that would be a creative accounting method to both add talent while also staying below the LT limit.  Just another tool in the arsenal.

I just figure that if they were gonna do crafty deals, they might’ve tried to do so with Drury.

Anderson was too early in the offseason and they couldn’t do so with Renfroe and Urshela since they were trades. But the opportunity might’ve been there with Drury, especially since it was reported that he had an offer that included an opt-out.

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It could also be something they’d do after acquiring a player that puts them over the threshold. They may want Fletcher around but would trade him and pick up a portion of his contract to stay under the tax.  

That’s possible too.

I wouldn’t be concerned about going over the luxury tax because there are ways to sneak under.

42 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yeah but that's responsible reporting. You're part of the media and there's anything but responsibility among the most read media-types. 

Just now, Trendon said:

I just figure that if they were gonna do crafty deals, they might’ve tried to do so with Drury.

Anderson was too early in the offseason and they couldn’t do so with Renfroe and Urshela since they were trades. But the opportunity might’ve been there with Drury, especially since it was reported that he had an offer that included an opt-out.

It’s possible, but maybe they didn’t because they didn’t need to just yet either.  Kluber would probably cost around 10-12mil, which would take us up near the limit, so if they decide they want him, that might be when they’d use a create accounting trick.

Or, maybe they’ll just sign someone like Wacha or Cueto, both of whom are unlikely to hit 8 figures.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

To me it's not until they pass the physical

The Angels aren't opposed to piggybacking either their number 5 or 6 starters. I think if they sign Kluber, Suarez will be limited to 3-4 innings, mostly one time through the order unless he's having a particularly strong outing. 

I'm not saying it's Kluber they're going for, but I do think they'll be pursuing one in that general class of arms.

19 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The Angels aren't opposed to piggybacking either their number 5 or 6 starters. I think if they sign Kluber, Suarez will be limited to 3-4 innings, mostly one time through the order unless he's having a particularly strong outing. 

I'm not saying it's Kluber they're going for, but I do think they'll be pursuing one in that general class of arms.

Suarez could barely get out of the 4th inning until something clicked in August. I think he's fine, but I don't like the idea of him as our #5 and counting on him consistently. Him as #6 changes the quality of our rotation

8 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Suarez could barely get out of the 4th inning until something clicked in August. I think he's fine, but I don't like the idea of him as our #5 and counting on him consistently. Him as #6 changes the quality of our rotation

Kluber/Cueto/Wacha would be the 4th starter.

Ohtani, Sandoval, Anderson, Above, Detmers, Suarez

19 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Suarez started throwing a slider. Shifted a bunch of his curveball usage to a slider, and the results were much better