• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Perry deciding to take the quantity over quality approach for SS is.... concerning. 

Still hoping there's a trade in the works. 

Sure, we're deeper than we were, but we're still a 3rd place team.

And isn't Minasian supposed to build a winner to keep Ohtani? 

I have no idea if we are a third place team or a second place team. 

7 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Perry deciding to take the quantity over quality approach for SS is.... concerning. 

Perry has done a really nice job so far this off season. He was never going to get a big price FA SS. The off season is still going on let's see what this team looks like opening night. Ohtani, I think will choose to become a free agent. He will end up signing largest MLB contract. 

58 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Fletcher at SS is not a bad option.  He rates well defensively there.  The team has improved in a number of areas.  I know you really wanted us to sign big names, but I think Minasian's approach of spreading the money across a variety of areas is probably a more effective way to helping ensure this team contends, than putting all of the money into one or two guys.

7 minutes ago, jordan said:

Add Eovaldi and Hendriks, then we can start talking about an 88-90 win team and playoff contender. 

I think we can be a 90 win team with a couple more modest moves personally.  In fact, I think we're pretty close now.  The only reason I'm not co-signing that in ink is because of the bullpen.  It could be very good or very bad.  

3 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I think we can be a 90 win team with a couple more modest moves personally.  In fact, I think we're pretty close now.  The only reason I'm not co-signing that in ink is because of the bullpen.  It could be very good or very bad.  

I agree.  The bullpen has the possibility to make or break this team.  Seems like Perry is still trying to add and if he can add 1-2 dependable names, it should be in good shape.  

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

I think the ballclub would be better off with Canning and Rodriguez pitching out of the pen.  Acquire a starter, sure.  Ohtani, Sandoval, Silseth, Anderson, Detmers, Suarez is a solid six starters.  Canning and Rodriguez both can spot start when we need it, or in case someone gets injured.

So you project Silseth as our #3 starter and Canning and Rodriguez in the bullpen?

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

I think the ballclub would be better off with Canning and Rodriguez pitching out of the pen.  Acquire a starter, sure.  Ohtani, Sandoval, Silseth, Anderson, Detmers, Suarez is a solid six starters.  Canning and Rodriguez both can spot start when we need it, or in case someone gets injured.

On the surface, I'd be fine with that rotation, but I think the key issue would be depth.  One or more of those starers will likely get hurt, and then who do we turn to?  Maybe Canning is healthy, maybe Bush makes a leap, etc .. but I think it would be in the best interest of this team to invest in one more option.  SP depth is a key thing for many teams.  I think we need one more guy.

I think any plan that lists CRod should not be considered a plan.  He has barely been healthy.  If he is healthy, great, but I would not count on it.  As it is, it sounds like he will not be ready to start the season.

2 hours ago, jordan said:

Add Eovaldi and Hendriks, then we can start talking about an 88-90 win team and playoff contender. 

I think we can contend with more modest version of the above.  If we added someone like Hill, Wacha, etc for the 6th spot, and found another reliever that's superior to some of the last guys in our pen, I think that would help continue to raise the floor.

Adding Eovaldi and Hendriks would add another 30-35mil to the payroll, which probably is not in the cards for us this offseason.

As I understand, Nate Pearson was part of a larger package the Angels were discussing with the Blue Jays. @Docwaukee your instincts were right, Adell was one of the names the Angels were floating. 

Given that we've seen them acquire Daulton Varsho for Gabriel Moreno.... I'm guessing they were discussing one of the Blue Jays catchers.

I don't know all the details, and I'm not in a position to be asking for them. But if I had to guess, I think it was probably Taylor Ward and Jo Adell for Lourdes Gurriel, Danny Jansen and Nate Pearson. 

Edited by Second Base

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

splitting the LHers up with a RHer so you've pretty much got one RHer pitching most series

I understand which arm they throw with. You still have three LHP's at the backend of his recommended rotation. The bottom line is Silseth is unproven. I know he had a good run for a few months at AA last year but not with the Angels. So to anoint him as a top of the rotation pitcher over Anderson, Detmers or Suarez is a stretch.

The bigger issue is thinking he will be the 6th guy over Canning or Rodriguez and thinking those two are better off in the bullpen. 

I think Canning will be the the 6th guy, not an unproven Silseth.

Ohtani/Sandoval/Anderson/Canning/Detmers/Suarez. Now you NEVER have three LHP's in a three game series.

14 minutes ago, Second Base said:

As I understand, Nate Pearson was part of a larger package the Angels were discussing with the Blue Jays. @Docwaukee your instincts were right, Adell was one of the names the Angels were floating. 

Given that we've seen them acquire Daulton Varsho for Gabriel Moreno.... I'm guessing they were discussing one of the Blue Jays catchers.

I don't know all the details, and I'm not in a position to be asking for them. But if I had to guess, I think it was probably Taylor Ward and Jo Adell for Lourdes Gurriel, Danny Jansen and Nate Pearson. 

Interesting.  Even though there was the rumor of the Angels pursuing Contreras, @Jeff Fletcher kinda dampened that.  I think he mentioned that we were kicking tires if they could get a good deal on him but it didn't get far along.  Plus, and this is my own speculation, one of the reasons to pursue Contreras was that he had some pretty damn good positional versatility (C, 1b, 3b, LF, RF) which would allow him to maintain his value over a longer term.  

Point being that I'm not sure they were really making some sort of hard push for a Catcher.  Granted, Perry likes his catchers.