• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What is the Angels Biggest Need this Offseason?

BTH

What is the Angels Biggest Need this Offseason  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Angels Biggest Need this Offseason?

• Catcher
    • First Base
    • Second Base
    • Shortstop
    • Left Field
    • Starting Pitching
    • Closer
    • Relief Pitching
    • Other

What is the Angels biggest need this offseason? Roster-wise, as a new owner is clearly the biggest need overall.

I’d say it’s LF. Relying on Adell/Moniak is setting yourself up for failure.

Edited by Trendon

5 minutes ago, Taylor said:

LF, followed by MIF. Rengifo has obviously earned a starting job, but who knows which David Fletcher we'll see. 

Hopefully Rendon can stay healthy. 

The Angels need bats above all else. No more of these replacement level journeymen.

Hell if we even had replacement level players were probably a playoff team last year. 

Left field is probably the one spot where adding a 2 war player might yield a 3 win improvement.

I think they absolutely need a right handed corner infielder who can play both first and third base. I don't think we should be counting on Rendon playing a full season or Walsh successfully hitting left handed pitching. As currently constructed those two areas are possible negative war positions for half of the season.

We could slide Rengifo over to third but that will lead to a Fletcher / Soto middle infield. As a group that's a scary prospect. I am fine with Rengifo/Soto/Fletcher holding down the middle infield if we have another plan b at third base. If they want to skimp on the third base coverage they are going to need to add a legit shortstop, but I don't think we will get as much bang for our buck here.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Sure, so would I.  But at this point, I don't think anyone should start getting their hopes up for someone at that level (or anywhere near it) unless the ownership situation is resolved ASAP.

Oh yeah I don’t have hope for anyone that would command anything close to a nine figure contract, if we are spending that kind of money though, he’d be my target

19 minutes ago, mmc said:

Agree on LF.  Would love Nimmo.

Same, but I doubt Nimmo’s a realistic option because he’s gonna get 5-6 years for $20M+

Also, his durability has been an issue in the past— an issue that would surely arise with the Angels luck.

Edited by Trendon

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think they absolutely need a right handed corner infielder who can play both first and third base.

Or you could get someone who can play 1B and 2B, as Fletcher/Rengifo can slide to 3B for Rendon insurance.

I agree that they need another MLB caliber infielder, but I’d put that behind LF in terms of biggest need.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Or you could get someone who can play 1B and 2B, as Fletcher/Rengifo can slide to 3B for Rendon insurance.

I agree that they need another MLB caliber infielder, but I’d put that behind LF in terms of biggest need.

Ya they can probably make that work, but I think *in theory* you should be able to land a bigger bat if you aren't also trying to find someone with the range to play second base.

my priority list

1. LF - Preferably someone who could also fill in at 1b as needed.   
2. MIF/depth- A legit flex guy who could cover the MIF at least and I would pay extra if that person could also cover the corner IF/OF spots.   
3. SP - Middle to back end vet.  
4. 1b - backup mostly in case Walsh doesn't recover as well as hoped.  #1 and/or #2 should satisfy this
5. Closer - 1yr deal only.  Preferably another Iglesias type trade.  
6. RP - we need it but don't spend on it.  Minasian needs to show his chops here and find some cheap options.  
7. High priced SS - not happening.  But if for some reason the timing of new ownership works out and they are cool with going big then why not
8. FOTR SP - same as #7.  

Left Fielder

Utility infielder/ backup outfielder.  There are a lot options here.  It could be back up outfielder/MIF or 3rd/first.   If he could play out field he could platoon with Ward and Ward slides to 1b to platoon with Walsh.  If MIF Rengifo or Fletcher could play 3b.  

Starter

Bullpen

I don't expect anything done at catcher.

I think it's shortstop. It's not that I don't like Rengifo, but we need another sure thing in the offense. I'd like Rengifo/Fletcher to basically switch off. I'd like to give Adell/Moniak a chance to run with LF. They're a potential problem but not the biggest problem we have.

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

We could slide Rengifo over to third but that will lead to a Fletcher / Soto middle infield. As a group that's a scary prospect. I am fine with Rengifo/Soto/Fletcher holding down the middle infield if we have another plan b at third base. If they want to skimp on the third base coverage they are going to need to add a legit shortstop, but I don't think we will get as much bang for our buck here.

Anthony Rendon and $38.5 M??

51 minutes ago, Torridd said:

For those who choose LF first,  who would we pick up to go there, besides Nimmo? What would you do with Adell and Moniak?

To name a few LF options: Benintendi Profar, Conforto, Pederson, and Gallo.

Both Adell and Moniak have options. Most likely, one is the 4th OF and the other is in AAA.