• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Exploring Contract Swaps for Loup and Tepera

BTH

2 hours ago, mmc said:

Idk man, it feels like any player we trade them for would be just as likely to rebound for us as these two would, so we might as well just keep the guys our front office at one point saw something in and hope they unlock it.  Or at least, that feels more likely than getting anything useful back in a trade for them.  I wouldn’t really care either way though

That’s fair, but I think the Angels need to offload Tepera.

He was unavailable out of the bullpen way too many times this season and was never really an option to pitch in back-to-back games.

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

You can’t say that and be certain it’s true.

What if Rendon gets hurt again? What if Fletcher’s bat doesn’t rebound? What if Rengifo’s 2022 season was an aberration? What if Neto struggles, keeping in mind he was aggressively promoted to AA? What if Soto’s 2022 was an aberration? What if Jackson and Paris don’t take steps?

What if we sign a big name Free Agent and he turns to shit.   It's happened more than once for the Angels.

There are what if in everything in life.

I could go for Correa at SS because Rengifo and Fletcher can play 3rd when Rendon eventually goes down.  Soto as much as i liked him could probably better served in AAA for depth.

A RH hitting left fielder who could platoon with Walsh at 1b would be good

Bullpen help would nice.

14 hours ago, stormngt said:

What if we sign a big name Free Agent and he turns to shit.   It's happened more than once for the Angels.

There are what if in everything in life.

I could go for Correa at SS because Rengifo and Fletcher can play 3rd when Rendon eventually goes down.  Soto as much as i liked him could probably better served in AAA for depth.

A RH hitting left fielder who could platoon with Walsh at 1b would be good

Bullpen help would nice.

That is exactly why they need to get out of the out-of-house big money FA business for a while.

Focus on:

Strategic signings/trades

Keeping farm system solid

Re-signing the best of in-house FAs

33 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

That is exactly why they need to get out of the out-of-house big money FA business for a while.

Focus on:

Strategic signings/trades

Keeping farm system solid

Re-signing the best of in-house FAs

Even with a new owner, I’d like to see a more “strategic” (I like that word) approach…..No more Rendons, Hamiltons or Pujols’…..a new owner could spend what Arte did on Rendon on 3/4 guys to fill multiple areas of need….that’s not being cheap, it’s being smart….

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Even with a new owner, I’d like to see a more “strategic” (I like that word) approach…..No more Rendons, Hamiltons or Pujols’…..a new owner could spend what Arte did on Rendon on 3/4 guys to fill multiple areas of need….that’s not being cheap, it’s being smart….

I have no idea if $9-12 million guys move the needle.  And you are essentially advocating adding 3 of them.  If you guess wrong, then you have the same problem.  

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I have no idea if $9-12 million guys move the needle.  And you are essentially advocating adding 3 of them.  If you guess wrong, then you have the same problem.  

Not necessarily…if you guess wrong on a 30 million dollar guy like Rendon, you have really tied up your budget….you’re putting all your eggs in one basket….if you guess right on 2 of 3 10 million dollar guys or 1 of 2 15 million dollar guys, are you better off? I would think so, at least you’re getting some production….probably not a right or wrong answer but I am like Oracle, I’m over the Rendon level signings….

10 hours ago, DMVol said:

That sure smells like Buzzie Bavasi logic...

"Why would I sign Nolan Ryan when I can get two 8-7 pitchers for a fraction of the cost"...

14 hours ago, Deek said:

"Why would I sign Nolan Ryan when I can get two 8-7 pitchers for a fraction of the cost"...

If you read my post, I suggested we be smarter, not cheaper…Bavasi was just looking to save money….he was cheap…I have no problem spending above the luxury tax threshold….just do it strategically (Oracle’s word), not all in on one big FA, as we have been prone to do…

I actually think finding a taker for those guys might not be incredibly difficult. Fans know how bad and disappointing they were, but their final [newspaper] numbers weren't actually horrendous. But if they Angels offer to pay some of their salary, they could actually get some depth pieces back in return. Teams are always looking for bullpen arms, and every year they get overpaid. Tepera at $5 million (Angels pay 2) is going to appeal to someone. Loup--who I think is better than Tepera--at 5 or 5.5 has appeal as a LRP. Will ownership approve of this? Who knows. But I think they could find a taker. 

21 hours ago, Deek said:

It’s different regarding deciding whether to re-sign your own FAs.

At least you know a lot more about them.   It seems to have been too much of a guessing game with out-of-house FAs.

Bavasi was stupid with how he handled the Ryan thing.

Dipoto was stupid bringing in Hamilton.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:42 PM, mmc said:

Idk man, it feels like any player we trade them for would be just as likely to rebound for us as these two would, so we might as well just keep the guys our front office at one point saw something in and hope they unlock it.  Or at least, that feels more likely than getting anything useful back in a trade for them.  I wouldn’t really care either way though

This is what I am thinking -- relievers are weird. Loup could give up 24 homers in 24 outings and be cut.... or he could finish 5th in Cy Young voting. Both him and Tepera have enough talent that you might as well just see if they rebound. I think the key to building a good bullpen is to have a TON of options -- no sense in just trading some just to trade them.