• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What's the lineup in 2025?

Hubs

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Pretty wild…

And let that be a lesson for people who think the Angels have a middle infield surplus, because they don’t since prospects will often fail to reach their potential.

Adell, Marsh, and Adams seems to be a particularly potent confluence of bad luck (or whatever it is). Obviously the story isn't over, but you don't often see an org's top three outfield prospects--and ones rated at 65, 60, and 50 FV, respectively--collectively tank.

I think the lesson learned, for me at least, is not to forget the first half of "high-risk, high-reward." Marsh was (is?) supposed to have a higher floor so with a narrower range of potential outcomes, but I guess there was some part of me that thought that if a prospect has high upside, they're going to be good - rather than accept the risk aspect as part of the equation.

It is just a bummer, because I was so looking forward to the outfield of Trout-Marsh-Adell, with Adams as the 4OF. And Marsh was my favorite of the three.

29 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Adell, Marsh, and Adams seems to be a particularly potent confluence of bad luck (or whatever it is). Obviously the story isn't over, but you don't often see an org's top three outfield prospects--and ones rated at 65, 60, and 50 FV, respectively--collectively tank.

I think the lesson learned, for me at least, is not to forget the first half of "high-risk, high-reward." Marsh was (is?) supposed to have a higher floor so with a narrower range of potential outcomes, but I guess there was some part of me that thought that if a prospect has high upside, they're going to be good - rather than accept the risk aspect as part of the equation.

It is just a bummer, because I was so looking forward to the outfield of Trout-Marsh-Adell, with Adams as the 4OF. And Marsh was my favorite of the three.

Obviously, the biggest surprise is Adell and Marsh not living up to their potential so far.

I'm not surprised with Adams, as he never performed like Adell/Marsh in the minors and was just ranked as a 50 FV prospect at his peak (unlike Adell and Marsh).

As you said, Marsh has a higher floor. And I think he'll end up being a 2.5-3.5 fWAR outfielder with Philly during his prime.

4 minutes ago, Hubs said:

That's the point.

What’s the point? That makes zero sense…if something is a lifetime away…why not focus on the short term? You could have made a thread about 26, 27, 28, 29…all of which have very little bearing on the teams current situation. Until the owner is resolved the team may be gutted and sold off in pieces which further clouds the future.

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

What’s the point? That makes zero sense…if something is a lifetime away…why not focus on the short term? You could have made a thread about 26, 27, 28, 29…all of which have very little bearing on the teams current situation. Until the owner is resolved the team may be gutted and sold off in pieces which further clouds the future.

The 2019 lineup featured guys like Pujols, Goodwin, Calhoun, Simmons, and Lucroy. It just shows how much things change in 3 years. 

I'm trying to be a bit more optimistic in regards to guys in the minors, as the 10 most used players that year (by games) were Fletcher, Calhoun, Trout, Goodwin, and Pujols. Three of them were replaced by Ward, Adell, and Walsh to little affect. Stassi replaced Lucroy, and has had one good year in 2021, and two bad ones at the plate in 2020 and 2021. They struggled to replace Simmons too as he fell apart.

There will be a lot of changes, however, with the Trash Panda guys all being up by that point, and some will be a success and some won't.

I don't agree there will be a fire sale. The Angels may have a new GM and Manager shortly, if a new owner wants to implement his own guys. If Theo Epstein gets involved in New Ownership in a Stan Kasten type role, they could drastically reset the overall structure, but a winning team is a winning team, and that has more value than a struggling, rebuilding team.

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

The 2019 lineup featured guys like Pujols, Goodwin, Calhoun, Simmons, and Lucroy. It just shows how much things change in 3 years. 

I'm trying to be a bit more optimistic in regards to guys in the minors, as the 10 most used players that year (by games) were Fletcher, Calhoun, Trout, Goodwin, and Pujols. Three of them were replaced by Ward, Adell, and Walsh to little affect. Stassi replaced Lucroy, and has had one good year in 2021, and two bad ones at the plate in 2020 and 2021. They struggled to replace Simmons too as he fell apart.

There will be a lot of changes, however, with the Trash Panda guys all being up by that point, and some will be a success and some won't.

I don't agree there will be a fire sale. The Angels may have a new GM and Manager shortly, if a new owner wants to implement his own guys. If Theo Epstein gets involved in New Ownership in a Stan Kasten type role, they could drastically reset the overall structure, but a winning team is a winning team, and that has more value than a struggling, rebuilding team.

I don't think a fire sale is needed.  The only long term contracts on this team are Trout and Rendon.  I do hope Ohtani joins them, but otherwise, I think we aren't too far off from becoming a contender.

It is too difficult to project a starting lineup for 2025, but rather, I think perhaps the key part is to look at which spots are either projected to be filled by who we have on the roster or, hopefully, filled by a promising prospect.

Catcher:  "Hopefully" O'Hoppe and probably Stassi

1B:  maybe Walsh, maybe DiChiarra, or if neither, then this likely won't be hard to fill

2B:  Fletcher, due to contract

SS:  Neto, hopefully

3B:  Rendon, due to contract

LF:  ??, I personally doubt Adell's future MLB abilities, so I'll say this spot is open and can be filled via free agency

CF:  Trout

RF:  maybe Ward, if he can re-discover his earlier form from this year.  If not, then this too will probably be filled via free agency

DH:  Ohtani, hopefully

So it appears OF has some work to do, but we should probably have most of the rest of the spots filled by combination of guys on the roster and highly rated prospects

13 hours ago, Hubs said:

The 2019 lineup featured guys like Pujols, Goodwin, Calhoun, Simmons, and Lucroy. 

I made a point about this in a different thread a few hours ago. About reading bumped posts and guys I forgot about.

Who here knew Calhoun was still here in 19? Seems like he's been gone for a lot longer.

And who here (before reading this) remembered Lucroy being here?

5 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I made a point about this in a different thread a few hours ago. About reading bumped posts and guys I forgot about.

Who here knew Calhoun was still here in 19? Seems like he's been gone for a lot longer.

And who here (before reading this) remembered Lucroy being here?

Ha. As I was reading this I was thinking:  "holy crap, Lucroy"