• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Syndergaard: “You walk in the Angels' clubhouse, and there’s only like three reporters there“

BTH

“Part of the reason why I made the move to the Angels, to the West Coast, was just because that energy that can make New York so great and positive can also bite you in the butt a little bit -- especially with what I’m going through right now, a little dip in velocity,” Syndergaard said on Friday, upon returning to Citi Field for the first time as a visitor. “I’m still trying to rely on location and mixing things up. And I feel like if I was doing that playing here, everything would just be highlighted. That’s a big fear of mine.”

“You walk in the Angels' clubhouse, and there’s only like three reporters there, and most of them are Japanese, so they don’t really speak a lot of English,” Syndergaard said.

https://www.mlb.com/news/noah-syndergaard-returns-to-citi-field-with-phillies

39 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Cool story, bro. Read a book about it 

Are you directing him to read (rēd) a book about it or are you telling him you already read (red) a book about it?  I mean, obviously both are kind of snide remarks, but I feel like the one telling him to do something is ruder and so I’m hoping it was the latter.

Thanks.  It’s just one of those situations with written English that sometimes is hard to decipher the exact meaning of the writer.

Either way you’re a dick, it’s just difficult for the rest of us to understand how much of a dick you are without clarification.

12 hours ago, cals said:

Are you directing him to read (rēd) a book about it or are you telling him you already read (red) a book about it?  I mean, obviously both are kind of snide remarks, but I feel like the one telling him to do something is ruder and so I’m hoping it was the latter.

Thanks.  It’s just one of those situations with written English that sometimes is hard to decipher the exact meaning of the writer.

Either way you’re a dick, it’s just difficult for the rest of us to understand how much of a dick you are without clarification.

In correct English that phrase is suggestive, meaning 'you go and read a book about it'; the other meaning would require a subject pronoun preceding the 'Read', e.g. I read a book about it / he read a book about it etc. The English language has over a million words, if used correctly nothing should be hard to decipher. 

18 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Btw I think he's saying he prefers the atmosphere here rather than the pressure of NY.

I wouldn’t mind bringing him back for the right price. We have a solid core and good depth, but still need a veteran "leader" IMO and Syndergaard fits that role. Plus there's still some upside there.

I'd be down with that at the right price.  

8 minutes ago, DMVol said:

He hasn’t done much in Philly in a couple of starts….

Should bring his price down, then. 

Obviously if he's just absolutely horrible for the rest of the year then I'd reconsider my stance. Then again this is the most innings he's pitched in 19 years so he's likely fatigued.

54 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Hey @Jeff Fletcher - do you feel that the press has much to do with clubhouse chemistry? 

The vibe I get is that the Halos actually have a good clubhouse even in spite of all the losing and the disappointing season.   

I don’t think it has anything to do with clubhouse chemistry but it does affect the atmosphere. Here in SoCal we don’t have a bunch of columnists and sports talk radio guys just waiting to rip you a new one the moment you screw up.

(Fans do that on Twitter, but as I mentioned in the other thread, the percentage of fans who scrutinize the team at that level is much lower with the Angels than with most teams.)

I am sure there are players who appreciate that difference. 

And yes, you are right the about the Angels clubhouse chemistry. It does seem to be pretty good. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

By the way, as for the number of beat writers. The Angels have four. I would say 27 teams have 3-5 and three teams (the Mets, Yankees and Red Sox) have 6-8.

That excludes the Japanese media. We have probably 7-10 Japanese writers that come in the clubhouse every day and another 20 to 30 TV people and photographers who are around the field but not in the clubhouse. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

23 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

By the way, as for the number of beat writers. The Angels have four. I would say 27 teams have 3-5 and three teams (the Mets, Yankees and Red Sox) have 6-8.

That excludes the Japanese media. We have probably 7-10 Japanese writers that come in the clubhouse every day and another 20 to 30 TV people and photographers who are around the field but not in the clubhouse. 

Thanks Jeff.  So this is essentially much ado about nothing.  In fact, with the Japanese following, the Angels probably have more than most.  It's just that most of them aren't complete jerks to the players.  

4 hours ago, WicketMaiden said:

In correct English that phrase is suggestive, meaning 'you go and read a book about it'; the other meaning would require a subject pro-noun preceding the 'Read', e.g. I read a book about it / he read a book about it etc. The English language has over a million words, if used correctly nothing should be hard to decipher. 

It is not difficult. Neither is driving on the right side of the road but some English speaking countries have a problem with that. 

Now,  what was I referring to by using the word, right?  

27 minutes ago, Blarg said:

It is not difficult. Neither is driving on the right side of the road but some English speaking countries have a problem with that. 

Now,  what was I referring to by using the word, right?  

Obviously the direction. We also drive on the right side of the road, only over here the right side is the left side. You weren't claiming that some English speaking countries have a problem driving in the correct lane, but in the right lane, which over here is the wrong lane. Simple.

So if Ohtani leaves those two out of three Japanese will also be gone. So I guess it brings the total down to one.

And no doubt most, if not all, the Japanese fans coming exclusively to see Ohtani won't be back either. Most likely they will be purchasing merchandise of his new team and boosting attendence wherever he goes.