• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels trade Raisel Iglesias to the Braves for Tucker Davidson and Jesse Chavez

mmc

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

Totally agree with the optics and perception part, here. I have to think the sudden decline in velocity played into this decision, though. Perhaps the Angels had serious reason to believe Iglesias was a red flag type of player, after the signing, that was making him a lot more riskier to carry on the roster.

this actually might be Minasian's best move of the deadline.  Jumping ship on an aging high priced closer.  It was probably not a good idea in the first place although most of the time, elite closers age decently well.  But it might end up savvy to pull the plug earlier than later.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

We don’t know that.  We will know that next March or April.

I'm gonna eye roll this one a bit because I've been rubbing my rabbit's foot and hoping and wanting for Arte to pay his way out of some of the poor decisions that have been made.  And the I realize why would he considering the state of the team.  And then I realize that he kinda created this situation by demanding the 'remain competitive' thing.  It's kind of this pathogenic lifecycle.  Where can we break the cycle?  I'm just not sure but I don't think trying to ham and egg 6-10 roster spots on a yearly with some money but not enough money is going to do it.  

And that's been part of the issue.  When have we gotten anything out of that 3-7m player?  Or that guy off waivers.  Other teams seem to be able to pull that off at least here and there.  

Not only do they have to do better with more money, they have to do better with less money.  Why have they been so bad at this?  I get that you need resources from below to make it work.  But holy hell.  When's the last time that someone worked out on the cheap?  Tommy La Stella?  

1 hour ago, beatlesrule said:

Shows you how inept this organization is. They keep Raisel at the deadline last year when they could have gotten a good haul of prospects for him and then sign him to a 4 year 58 million dollar contract only to trade him in the first year of his deal for less than what he would have gotten back last year.

Hoping they’ve learned their lesson, and never pay that much for a reliever.

Or maybe it's that we need so many to work out on the cheap that it's totally unreasonable.  I guess Stassi has been good.  And a few prospect types like Rengifo and Sandoval.  There are so many holes on a yearly that it just seems almost impossible to patch them all.  Reasonably.  No matter how much is spent.  

Which goes back to one of my main concerns.  This franchise has not been honest internally about what they are.  For ten years it's been duct tape and dip spit and ear wax.   Every year they think that being competitive means getting something out of the 7 or 10 guys that you NEED to get production out of.  

Every year.  For the last 10 years.  The math is just wrong.  

51 minutes ago, khouse said:

Sorry guys but given the haul Perry could have gotten for Raisel last year...this is truly a pathetic return...

We got more for him this year than Cincy got from us 2 years ago (Noe Ramirez)….he was a salary dump for Cincy and for us….relief pitching is volatile…..

34 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Or maybe it's that we need so many to work out on the cheap that it's totally unreasonable.  I guess Stassi has been good.  And a few prospect types like Rengifo and Sandoval.  There are so many holes on a yearly that it just seems almost impossible to patch them all.  Reasonably.  No matter how much is spent.  

Which goes back to one of my main concerns.  This franchise has not been honest internally about what they are.  For ten years it's been duct tape and dip spit and ear wax.   Every year they think that being competitive means getting something out of the 7 or 10 guys that you NEED to get production out of.  

Every year.  For the last 10 years.  The math is just wrong.  

That’s my biggest gripe. I “like” all three of today’s trades, to varying degrees. On their own, they make sense. Iglesias was a fantastic way to escape a risky contract and we got another arm to throw into at least the Barria/Junk/Daniel pile. I’m not ready to anoint him anything more than good depth to have. That money freed up will be useful 

Marsh for O’Hoppe was tough, but, it’s a legit catching prospect and we badly needed one.

We were not going to get anything for Thor really beyond what we got. It’s fine.

The part I don’t like is none of these moves really did anything to fill a 2023 need, and given that we didn’t sell further, demonstrates that we will aim to compete in 2023. I really like your first sentence in your post. It’s that exactly! We are banking every year on things to happen with no margin for error, and our moves today did the opposite - the margin for error is, at it stands now, even tighter for next year. We have a hole at the back of the bullpen (that was apparently already a hole given the way this year played out) that needs to be addressed this winter. We’re still on the verge of playing infielders in the outfield, and we just made that depth thinner. Minasian seemingly just made even more holes - which is fine, had they done at least one other move, in my opinion, to net 2-4 quality players back by dealing say, Ward or Quijada or even Barria, dare say Sandoval or Suarez. Do those guys help us in 2023? Absolutely, but these moves don’t seem to be helping 2023 while still pushing the guise of contending in 2023. Could we have gotten Groshans for Quijada and Tepera? Barria? It could have addressed 2023 SS potentially. Could we have gotten Jordan Montgomery and a good prospect from the Yankees for Brandon Marsh and filled a 2023 rotation spot? The Twins’ price for Mahle could have been somewhat comparable to Sandoval, and almost everyone exchanged in that deal would have threatened to land in our Top 10. Might not have helped 2023, but between our strong drafts the last two years (IMO, at least in terms of trade value), could have given us the ability to swing an off-season trade to address another significant need.

That’s of course all hypothetical shit and deals that weren’t necessary, it just feels like, given what these deals do for 2023 sent very mixed signals, moving on from Iglesias and Marsh, and doing basically very little to help the 2023 team, leaves me wondering why they didn’t take advantage of a great seller’s market and try to turn 1-3 more of our good value names into 5-7 guys, some of whom could’ve been ready to contribute next year. Just created more work.

20 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Vin Scully RIP

I grew up listening to Vinny with my transistor radio under my pillow because l was supposed to sleeping on school nights. Most games back then were radio only. This was the days of Koufax, Drysdale, Duke Snider, and Maury Wills to mention a few. Until the Angels arrived they were the only game in town. Luckily they broadcasted on KFI the strongest station at the time.

Honestly, I'm fine with this trade.  I think it was probably solid value, considering Iglesias' contract.  They got rid of the contract while adding a young arm that has earned a longer look in the majors.  They can give Davidson that look.  There's enough to believe he might be able to be a decent starter option, but if not, he should be able to slot in the pen, perhaps even as a late inning arm, , where the fewer looks could help the fastball play better than it has, to go with his plus slider.  Overall, if you count the two Phillies trades as separate, I liked this and the Marsh deal ... the Syndegaard deal, by itself, just feels weak, even when accounting for the money left on Thor.

They'll give Davidson a long look  as a starter, and maybe they end up getting a guy who just needed consistent innings.  Either way, they found a piece of the pitching staff (starter or pen) for 2023 and cleared up money to give them some flexibility, which they'll need if the intent is to add pieces and convince Shohei to stay.