• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels’ Player Development with Young Players

BTH

Is it fair to be concerned about the Angels player development with young players right now?

• Brandon Marsh’s offensive stats are below his 2021 stats from his rookie season and his strikeout rate is insanely high.

• Everyone is well aware of Jo Adell’s lack of MLB success.

• Reid Detmers hasn’t shown the ability to get swings and misses out of the zone or his famed command in the majors.

• José Suarez has taken a step back this season after a step forward last season.

• Luis Rengifo has taken a step backwards since his 2019 rookie season.

The only real positive player development stories have been Sandoval and Ward, and it sounds like a lot of Ward’s work was done with a college teammate outside of the Angels organization, so I don’t how much of his success can be attributed to the Angels’ player development.

Not right now. All those guys are under 25, with the exception of Rengifo who is 25.

Suarez has made just 37 starts (and he's pitched a whopping 27 innings this year).

Detmers has made 17 starts and is literally 22 years old.

Adell is only 23 and has just half a year's worth of plate appearances across 3 seasons.

Marsh is just 24 and has about 500 career PA's. 

Rengifo? Meh.

9 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Not right now. All those guys are under 25, with the exception of Rengifo who is 25.

To be clear, I’m not writing them off. But I am wondering whether the Angels have the right personnel to help maximize talent and prepare them for the majors.

7 hours ago, True Grich said:

I question everything.

Is the grass cut short enough and is it the right shade of green?

Are the hotdogs cooked at the right temperature?

Who the F cuts Mike Trout’s hair?

Who picks out Gubi’s ties?

I want answers!

@Jeff Fletcher True Grich needs answers now.

17 hours ago, Trendon said:

Is it fair to be concerned about the Angels player development with young players right now?

• Brandon Marsh’s offensive stats are below his 2021 stats from his rookie season and his strikeout rate is insanely high.

• Everyone is well aware of Jo Adell’s lack of MLB success.

• Reid Detmers hasn’t shown the ability to get swings and misses out of the zone or his famed command in the majors.

• José Suarez has taken a step back this season after a step forward last season.

• Luis Rengifo has taken a step backwards since his 2019 rookie season.

The only real positive player development stories have been Sandoval and Ward, and it sounds like a lot of Ward’s work was done with a college teammate outside of the Angels organization, so I don’t how much of his success can be attributed to the Angels’ player development.

Rengifo has the apparent tools we need, perhaps, to help solve our infield slugging void (Walsh excepted). An infielder with power “potential.” We badly need him to take the next step. Soon. It drives me crazy that after years of instruction in the minors, he has that annoying little league hitch in his swing. Jeremy Reed - please iron it out for us suffering fans! Watch his hands. Just before the pitch is delivered and before he would have time to get a read on what it is, his hands start to swing, very quickly reverse, and then start the real swing. It’s subtle and quick, but I have to believe this is not good form. None of the elite hitters do something like this. So please, somebody mentor him for the sake of us frustrated fans. We need him at full potential, not bouncing along the bottom year after year after year.

Rengifo will never be a power hitter and trying to alter his swing for more warning track outs isn't the solution you think you've come up with.

What he needs is to understand just how much of that swing he needs to drop a soft liner between the infield and outfield. But he over swings and ends up with too many balls landing in zones that are easily fielded. 

Trying to get him to be Altuve isn't going to work. Trying to get him to first base just may. 

5 hours ago, Blarg said:

Rengifo will never be a power hitter and trying to alter his swing for more warning track outs isn't the solution you think you've come up with.

What he needs is to understand just how much of that swing he needs to drop a soft liner between the infield and outfield. But he over swings and ends up with too many balls landing in zones that are easily fielded. 

Trying to get him to be Altuve isn't going to work. Trying to get him to first base just may. 

Rengifo is pretty strong already, smoothing out his swing could possibly improve his average and power.  I agree with the poster, his mechanics and sequence could use improvement from the left side, his right side mechanics are much better.