• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where is Barria?

Only four appearances for Barria so far in 29 games, and just one in 20 days, yet they give the ball to a clearly not ready Peguero twice in 5 days?

If they aren’t going to use Barria, they better acquire a middle innings guy since they are essentially down now to Mayers and Herget at least into early June.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I can’t see how Barria being unused is any better than keeping him around for mop-up/spot starts. He won’t be effective if he is never pitching. 

I assume he is in line to step in for Suarez/Diaz in the rotation and for whatever reason it just didn’t match up with schedules this last week and needs based off who was fresh/available/needed for other games and he’s doing side work for that assignment. That’s the only explanation I can come up with. 

I’m guessing Barria is only going to be used for long relief and not much else. The longer starters go into games the lees he will pitch. Suarez has been garbage so I assume there will be a change in that spot and it will likely be Barria 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I’m guessing Barria is only going to be used for long relief and not much else. The longer starters go into games the lees he will pitch. Suarez has been garbage so I assume there will be a change in that spot and it will likely be Barria 

He needs to be used enough though to not stale away on the bench.

His career MLB stats aren’t that bad.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

He won't have the stamina to go very long in relief if he isn't pitching regularly.

Barria seems like he just can't catch a break. Makes it to the majors at a young age and it's up good numbers, and how's he rewarded? They fill his roster spot with an underperforming veteran and bring in Doug White to be a pitching coach who gives Jaime the worst coaching advice of his career. The next year they are supposed to bring in Mickey Callaway, but that guy can't keep it in his pants, still, Barria does much better. So you'd figure next year is his shot, but because of stupid COVID crap, he's grabbed an additional option and the Angels stash him in AAA for needed depth. And now that he's out of options, he's stuck in the bullpen and used in only low leverage roles. 

Hard to argue that he’s useful depth to have if you know, you don’t use him.

They are probably approaching a point where it makes more sense to trade him and replace his spot on the roster with a similar arm who has options, at the very least to have a little more roster flexibility.

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

Barria seems like he just can't catch a break. Makes it to the majors at a young age and it's up good numbers, and how's he rewarded? They fill his roster spot with an underperforming veteran and bring in Doug White to be a pitching coach who gives Jaime the worst coaching advice of his career. The next year they are supposed to bring in Mickey Callaway, but that guy can't keep it in his pants, still, Barria does much better. So you'd figure next year is his shot, but because of stupid COVID crap, he's grabbed an additional option and the Angels stash him in AAA for needed depth. And now that he's out of options, he's stuck in the bullpen and used in only low leverage roles. 

I would be destroyed on this board fir saying the same thing.

8 hours ago, stormngt said:

I would be destroyed on this board fir saying the same thing.

I don't think you would be. A lot of us teased you about it (myself included) but I think most people here agree he deserves better. He's a good pitcher and he's just kind of sitting there.

Fortunately he got to show that yesterday. Maybe he's carved out a new role, at least for this year. Hopefully he's one of the first guys to get a crack at the rotation if someone is struggling or injured. And hopefully he's still around next year because I think he's easily a #4 guy with upside.