Jump to content
  • Welcome to AngelsWin.com

    AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

    Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

    Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

     

IGNORED

Sam Bachman vs. Chris Rodriguez - Who do you like better?


Chris Rodriguez or Sam Bachman?  

35 members have voted

  1. 1. Who do you like better?



Recommended Posts

BachmanRodriguez.png

Chris Rodriguez (a 4th round pick out of Miami, the one in Florida) suffered through non-arm injuries to start his career, but still managed to climb the minor league ladder with minimal appearances. Scouts were split. He has the arsenal, arm angle and stamina to be a starter but his delivery can be violent at times, suggesting a future in relief. He looked incredible out of the bullpen last year, and then was sent down to get stretched out into a starting role. As you might expect, C-Rod looked great as a starter too! Then a shoulder injury, and subsequent surgery and rehab. Maybe he comes back as a starter and fulfills that TOR upside. Maybe he comes back as a late inning reliever. Rumor has it he's ahead of schedule in his rehab. 

----

Sam Bachman (1st round pick out of Miami, the one in Ohio) was dominant in his final year in college, touching as high as 102 on the radar gun, but mostly sitting 95-97. No real arm injuries to speak of but a case can be made for his future as a starter or as a reliever. He seemed to handle going 5 innings just fine in college and the Angels are comfortable with that, but 5 innings leaves a lot of pressure on the bullpen. His fastball and slider are deadly, but the real surprise here is the development of a legitimate change up that can also be a weapon, though he never used it in college. His arm angle suggests relief though. Not too many major league starters can short arm the ball for extended appearances the way he does. Then again, not too many major league hitters short arm their swings the way Mike Trout does. Not comparing the two, just saying that just because it isn't common doesn't mean it can't be done (Shohei). Still, Bachman has some development needed before he's a weapon in a major league rotation, but clearly the arsenal to pull it off. 

----

So who do you like more? We already know Rodriguez can get major league hitters out, but he also has a more extensive injury history. Bachman's arsenal is somehow even better than Rodriguez, but he's still a couple years out. Both can be lethal major league weapons in relief right now, and both have about an equal likelihood making it as a starter, which is becoming a more frequent career path for guys that begin in relief (CJ Wilson, Chris Sale, Michael Kopech, Aaron Ashby to make a few). 

What's your prediction on their outcomes?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll go with Rod. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Also, I just like the way Rod gets hitters out. Everything these days is slider with two strikes. He has that, and it's better than most but the movement of his fastball sets him apart and he's not afraid to put it under someone's hands. And every once in a while he drops in a slower curve or a well placed change piece just to remind you he's still got it. 

Bachman has a higher ceiling, but I still go Rod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'll go with Rod. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Also, I just like the way Rod gets hitters out. Everything these days is slider with two strikes. He has that, and it's better than most but the movement of his fastball sets him apart and he's not afraid to put it under someone's hands. And every once in a while he drops in a slower curve or a well placed change piece just to remind you he's still got it. 

Bachman has a higher ceiling, but I still go Rod.

Bachman’s slider is supposedly elite too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm going to wait until @True Grich votes, which means I have to wait until @Inside Pitch votes.

Lies ... you know I'm the biggest C-Rod fanboy on the site.   Nobody in the system can match his four pitch arsenal or ability to manufacture outs with multiple pitches. 

Chris Rodriguez went from not pitching above A ball to making MLB hitters look silly.  You can't teach stuff.   If he's healthy, he's a stud and unlike most of you.. I don't put as much weight into his "injured his entire life" stuff.   Dude has a back issue that was misdiagnosed/treated for a year, then took a year to actually fix.

All this having been said, if he's not starting it's pretty much a waste.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Lies ... you know I'm the biggest C-Rod fanboy on the site.   Nobody in the system can match his four pitch arsenal or ability to manufacture outs with multiple pitches. 

Chris Rodriguez went from not pitching above A ball to making MLB hitters look silly.  You can't teach stuff.   If he's healthy, he's a stud and unlike most of you.. I don't put as much weight into his "injured his entire life" stuff.   Dude has a back issue that was misdiagnosed/treated for a year, then took a year to actually fix.

All this having been said, if he's not starting it's pretty much a waste.

 

Isn’t there concern though about his surgically repaired shoulder?

Shoulders have derailed a lot of careers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

Isn’t there concern though about his surgically repaired shoulder?

Shoulders have derailed a lot of careers.

If you're going to have a shoulder injury, his is the shoulder injury to get.   But yes.. Shoulder injuries are always bad, much worse than elbows but as Ervin Santana proved, they aren't the death sentence they used to be.  Bachman BTW has had shoulder and hip issues..  

The biggest pitcher killer these days is thoracic outlet syndrome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...