• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Number 27

Stax

Everyone has forgotten the original history.  Trout chose 27 by default to be the least disrespectful to Vlad.

Originally many were saying Trout should choose to wear #8 since he plays CF and that number was pretty much unclaimed (other than Bob Boone).

The problem is that number would have be openly disrespectful to Vladimir Guerrero because that is the number of kids he had with five different women.

So it was 27 by default.  The subject should be closed.  Let’s do what Vladdy would do and “Put this one to bed.”

18 hours ago, Stax said:

If the Angels retire the number, will it be for Vladmir Guerrero or Mike Trout?

In all seriousness this is a very silly question.

The highest single season WAR Guerrero had with the Angels was 5.9.

The lowest full season WAR Trout has ever had was 8.3.

We all love Vlad.

But Trout fully owns Vlad as a player by a massive margin.

So Trout also now fully owns number 27.

When I look at the numbers already retired by the Angels, I think...  meh

Rod Carew spent the overwhelming majority (12 years) of his career as a Twin and went into the HOF as a Twin. Why the Angels retired his number doesn't make much sense to me. 

Jimmie Reese... Meh.

Jim Fregosi?  I kind of get it, but if they hadn't retired his number, I wouldn't care.  I grew up watching him and he was one of my favorites, but again - I wouldn't care if they hadn't retired his number.

Gene Autry.  I guess, but I also think it's kind of dumb...

Nolan Ryan.  Sure.  Eight amazing years with the Angels.  I'm disappointed he didn't go in the HOF as an Angel.

It seems like a  hodge-podge of retired numbers to me.   It kind of goes with all the logo changes, uniform changes, and the name changes, etc.  For a sport that's rich in tradition, the Angels don't really have that. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they never retired 27 or 15 for that matter.  And... I don't really care.

The Angels have their own franchise HOF and that's good enough for me.

31 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

In all seriousness this is a very silly question.

The highest single season WAR Guerrero had with the Angels was 5.9.

The lowest full season WAR Trout has ever had was 8.3.

We all love Vlad.

But Trout fully owns Vlad as a player by a massive margin.

So Trout also now fully owns number 27.

Vlad Guerrero is the first and only Angels player in the Hall of Fame. First in, first on the wall.