• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Canning, going forward

Canning, going forward   

59 members have voted

1. 1. Confident in Canning being a 150 innings a year guy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yes.

Not every pitcher finds their way early in their career. Canning had a horrendous 2021 but he has shown he can get batters out at the MLB level.

He has the stuff to do so. He just has to un-Heaney himself.

To be fair, that’s most pitchers that make it to the big leagues. There are a lot of hills to climb just to get to that level

4 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I thought the Angels got THE steal of the draft when they drafted him in the 2nd round when he fell due to arm concerns.

I saw him in the minors at two different levels and I was absolutely sure of it. 

I really hope he doesn't turn into the next Heaney, i.e. the guy about whom I say at the start of every season "Well, maybe this is the year he figures it out."

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Will Canning ever become a 150 innings/season guy with decent enough stats?

Has been over 4 years since being drafted from UCLA.

I would love it if he could be part of the trade for Castillo especially if it meant forgoing sending Adell or Marsh.

I think he'll get over 150 innings eventually.

Is that next year? Most likely not?

Is it with the Angels? Perhaps not.

He was good in '19 and '20, in his rookie and sophomore seasons. We also don't know how long he was pitching with his back injury. That could've had a major impact on his 2021 performance.

I'm not writing him off by any means long-term, but he isn't guaranteed a rotation spot in 2022.

His comments after deciding to forego TJS in favor of solely PRP, about knowing that his elbow will be something he will always have to "work with and manage", doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  I see him as someone who wont be counted on to lock down anything more than a 5 or 6 spot, at best, for an entire season, and I'm a Bruin who truly wishes him the best.  

Edited by Junkballer

Canning is a reminder of two things, simultaneously:

1) Usually when players drop in the draft rankings and you think you've got "the steal of the draft," you don't actually - and there's a reason they've fallen.

2) Don't give up on a player too soon, especially when they've pitched only 209 innings.

That said, I had similar feelings about Nick Adenhart: I didn't get the fan hype. Now unfortunately never know what Adenhart might have become, but I saw him more as a #3-4 at best. Similarly to Canning, who some thought would be a #2.

As fans, we tend to overrate our own guys - as a general rule. The consensus from non-fan publications was that he'd be a #4, possibly a #3 in a best-case scenario. Yet the consensus here was a #2-3 - a slot better, basically.

I think the general still holds true, although there's now a lower floor. But he could still become a #3 starter, but there's also a greater chance that he becomes a back-end guy or even long reliever. But I think he'll have a solid career, maybe even a good one. 

And who knows, maybe falling back will lead to good results. Maybe competition will be a good thing for him. For a couple years--from late 2019 through early 2021--he was pretty much guaranteed a spot in the rotation. Now he is on the outside looking in and probably will start the year in AAA, unless Barria is trade and the Angels don't acquire another starter. But he'll get his chances this year, which may determine his future. If he doesn't fight his way back into the rotation by season's end, it might be time to either trade him or move him to the pen.

I like him. I like his repertoire of pitches. I like his mechanics. 

I think it's more upstairs and confidence than anything. He was rushed, he has had some underlying health and arm issues.

To me, it's going to be time!

Do the Halos have that much time to wait on him? I think Carpenter will be able to help some of these guys (confidence & mental side of the game). I don't know, if the Halos are going to wait for him.... I would give him 2 years (22/23) and then maybe punt.

Samething I said about Bedrock, to me he was always pitching scared. And looked like he could squeeze a piece of coal into a diamond.

21 hours ago, Junkballer said:

His comments after deciding to forego TJS in favor of solely PRP, about knowing that his elbow will be something he will always have to "work with and manage", doesn't exactly inspire confidence.  I see him as someone who wont be counted on to lock down anything more than a 5 or 6 spot, at best, for an entire season, and I'm a Bruin who truly wishes him the best.  

His MRI revealed no tear to the UCL. There was no reason to have TJS. The fact that he has several issues of inflammation in his short career is worrisome. Perhaps if his back is fully healed, the 6th man rotation may help in limiting his innings. I thought someone did the math and because of the 6 man rotation it was not possible to get up to 150 innings unless the pitcher constantly goes deep in games.