• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brendon Davis

Hubs

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

If it meant loading up the starting rotation and bullpen, sign me up! 

I'm the opposite, I like Davis and Stefanic (and Rengifo and Mayfield) as depth, not as a starting SS. They all have options, so they'll be up and down.

We had a terrible offense in the second half last year, even with Ohtani. Fletcher slumped badly for all but 26 games.

The defense needs to be elite with a groundball pitcher like Stroman. We can have that if they add a bat. Granted Davis is also elite defensively, but Stefanic doesn't have a position.

12 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I'm the opposite, I like Davis and Stefanic (and Rengifo and Mayfield) as depth, not as a starting SS. They all have options, so they'll be up and down.

We had a terrible offense in the second half last year, even with Ohtani. Fletcher slumped badly for all but 26 games.

The defense needs to be elite with a groundball pitcher like Stroman. We can have that if they add a bat. Granted Davis is also elite defensively, but Stefanic doesn't have a position.

I'm mostly on board with this.  I don't think Davis is elite defensively.  I think we'll find he's avg at best.  We've seen how the defense for some of these guys can get overplayed.  Stefanic is Jose Rojas.  Better hit tool but less power.  I like that about him because I think it translates better but his defense is likely going to be poor.  Our MIF depth is questionable at best.  They need a legit SS for sure and I would prefer and major leaguer as potential to fill in with some positional versatility.    

31 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Trendon, I told you the Angels would be adding Davis to their 40-man! 😉 

Yep, you were right and I was wrong.

To anyone else who I argued against: I was wrong about that.

(By the way, I'm glad to be wrong about that because I think it's a good sign that the Angels view him highly enough to add him to the 40-man roster. I just wasn't sure how an MLB organization was gonna perceive him. Obviously we now know that they do like him.)

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Stefanic is Jose Rojas.  Better hit tool but less power.  I like that about him because I think it translates better but his defense is likely going to be poor.

I like this comp. Stefanic is basically a right-handed Jose Rojas. Both of them need to hit in order to be a contributor at the major league level.

I think an ideal outcome for Stefanic and Rojas would be a Tommy La Stella type player. Good hitter with below average defense. Someone who you could start at 1B, 2B, or LF and replace defensively later in the game if you're leading.

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm mostly on board with this.  I don't think Davis is elite defensively.  I think we'll find he's avg at best.  We've seen how the defense for some of these guys can get overplayed.  Stefanic is Jose Rojas.  Better hit tool but less power.  I like that about him because I think it translates better but his defense is likely going to be poor.  Our MIF depth is questionable at best.  They need a legit SS for sure and I would prefer and major leaguer as potential to fill in with some positional versatility.    

You and I are both pushing for a MINF add. Semien I think makes the most sense if he'd settle for 4-5 years, or Taylor for the same length of contract. I'd also be open to Trevor Story on a 1 or 2 year deal, if he wants to reestablish his value since his numbers were a bit low without Arenado in the Colorado lineup.

We both like Jon Gray as a potential add too.

I think we have similar offseason strategies. I just think and hope they have more money to spend than conventional wisdom of $50M.

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

and to me it was pretty obvious that he would be added.  I still think Pina is the biggest at risk guy for getting selected in the R5 now.  

At a certain point, it becomes a numbers game.

Pina probably won't get added because the Angels have a number of young, unproven pitchers that will be on the 40-man over him.

Criswell, Junk, Marte, Ortega, Tyler, Peguero(?), Higgins(?), etc.

If I had to guess now, I'd say that the Angels go with their internal options at 2B/SS. I think they try and make 3 of Davis, Fletcher, Mayfield, Rengifo, Rojas, and Stefanic work in some 2B/SS/UTIL combination with the others at AAA and depth. Obviously, Fletcher would be a lock to fill one of those 3 spots.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If I had to guess now, I'd say that the Angels go with their internal options at 2B/SS. I think they try and make 3 of Davis, Fletcher, Mayfield, Rengifo, Rojas, and Stefanic work in some 2B/SS/UTIL combination with the others at AAA and depth. Obviously, Fletcher would be a lock to fill one of those 3 spots.

Is he a lock? I mean he was the second worst full time hitter in baseball last year. And the second to worst hitter with more than 100 PA on the Angels by this stat.

To put this in perspective...

Rengifo 51 OPS+ 

Fletcher 71 OPS+ 

Lagares 72 OPS+ 

Suzuki 74 OPS+

Rojas 82 OPS+

Iglesias 82 OPS+

Gosselin 85 OPS+

Marsh 84 OPS+

Mayfield 87 OPS+

Adell 90 OPS+

Upton 90 OPS+

Pujols 67 OPS+ with us 101 OPS+ with Dodgers for a 91 OPS+

Rendon 94 OPS+

Stassi 104 OPS+

Ward 108 OPS+

Walsh 128 OPS+

Ohtani 158 OPS+

Trout 195 OPS+

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Is he a lock? I mean he was the second worst full time hitter in baseball last year. And the second to worst hitter with more than 100 PA on the Angels by this stat.

I'm not saying he should be a lock, I'm just saying he is a lock to be on the roster at the very least.

Maddon loves him, especially because of his defense.

Despite being a horrendous hitter, he'd still be a better option than Mayfield or Rengifo as a utility infielder. Also, he has a guaranteed contract, so he isn't going anywhere.

Just now, Trendon said:

I'm not saying he should be a lock, I'm just saying he is a lock to be on the roster at the very least.

Maddon loves him, especially because of his defense.

Despite being a horrendous hitter, he'd still be a better option than Mayfield or Rengifo as a utility infielder. Also, he has a guaranteed contract, so he isn't going anywhere.

Agreed. I just meant as a full time starter. His season last year was way down. They're definitely looking at adding. Had he performed to 2019 and 2020 level in 2021, this would be less of a concern. But they're not going into next year with two positions with no offense.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

Rengifo 51 OPS+ 

Fletcher 71 OPS+ 

Lagares 72 OPS+ 

Suzuki 74 OPS+

Rojas 82 OPS+

Iglesias 82 OPS+

Gosselin 85 OPS+

Marsh 84 OPS+

Mayfield 87 OPS+

Adell 90 OPS+

Upton 90 OPS+

Rendon 94 OPS+

Stassi 104 OPS+

Ward 108 OPS+

Walsh 128 OPS+

Ohtani 158 OPS+

Trout 195 OPS+

I have no idea why some people are fine with Rengifo starting at SS. He has over 700 PA in the majors and a .618 OPS. I really hope that's not the plan.

Just now, HeavenlyHalos said:

I have no idea why some people are fine with Rengifo starting at SS. He has over 700 PA in the majors and a .618 OPS. I really hope that's not the plan.

He's one of those guys who will suck until we trade or release him, then figure things out and become Segura 2.0.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

At this point it's such a painfully obviously bad move that I can't imagine the organization is dumb enough to do it.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

Rengifo 51 OPS+ 

Fletcher 71 OPS+ 

Lagares 72 OPS+ 

Suzuki 74 OPS+

Rojas 82 OPS+

Iglesias 82 OPS+

Gosselin 85 OPS+

Marsh 84 OPS+

Mayfield 87 OPS+

Adell 90 OPS+

Upton 90 OPS+

Rendon 94 OPS+

Stassi 104 OPS+

Ward 108 OPS+

Walsh 128 OPS+

Ohtani 158 OPS+

Trout 195 OPS+

I think Fletcher had more pressure on him to swing the bat more, because of Trout & Rendon being hurt. He didn't take as many walks and his strikeouts went up. With Trout & Rendon back, he should be getting better pitches to hit, and just focus on getting on base.  As far as Davis goes, if he makes the plays at ss that he is suppose to make he should be ok. It reminds me of 2002, when in the spring the team had a bunch of guys at 2nd base behind Kennedy.   Gil, Eckstein, Spezio. They moved Speez to 1st. Than they had Alfedo Griffin work with Eck at ss. Eck couldn't make spectacular plays, but they liked that he made the plays that were expected of him. Even with a weak arm. I think that Davis could be that kind of ss. Plus, he has  much better arm and hit tools.

55 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I think Fletcher had more pressure on him to swing the bat more, because of Trout & Rendon being hurt. He didn't take as many walks and his strikeouts went up. With Trout & Rendon back, he should be getting better pitches to hit, and just focus on getting on base.  As far as Davis goes, if he makes the plays at ss that he is suppose to make he should be ok. It reminds me of 2002, when in the spring the team had a bunch of guys at 2nd base behind Kennedy.   Gil, Eckstein, Spezio. They moved Speez to 1st. Than they had Alfedo Griffin work with Eck at ss. Eck couldn't make spectacular plays, but they liked that he made the plays that were expected of him. Even with a weak arm. I think that Davis could be that kind of ss. Plus, he has  much better arm and hit tools.

OK, so maybe, and it could just be a sophomore slump, but they can't ignore that.

And good anecdote but it was in 2001...Eckstein started at SS the vast majority of the 2001 season. Kennedy was acquired prior to 2001 as well, and started the vast majority at 2nd. Benji Gil was the primary backup at both spots and at 1st actually in 2001, because Speizio would go across the Diamond for Glaus occasionally. Anyway...

I'm all for giving Davis a shot, but I still think they will get a solid MINF on a 1 year deal. And I still think they're gonna be in on Semien and Story. And others.

There will certainly be upheaval on the SS market in MLB this year.